How Hard Is It To Repaint A Car?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

Ryan8624

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si-00 VW golf-02 Neon
as the title says, how hard is it to repaint a car? if i were to buy a spray gun for $100 could i paint a car myself, im not repainting another color, i just need to fix some rust and repaint the area around it, along with some fender flares, how long would it take? how much is paint, and how many coats of paint and clear coat will i need? its a '87 CRX Si

nivek2002

unless you doing the whole car i would guess you would have a bad time color matching. Ive seen someone that did a quick job with no clear coat that looked good from a distance and then someone who took a year off from life to paint his car and it looks perfect! So there are mixed results wink.gif

Ryan8624

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si-00 VW golf-02 Neon
im going to paint the whole car, how long shouldit take?

dmotoguy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx, 98 jeep grand cheroke 5.9
id take the job somewhere else, i dont think most people realize how dangerous the new paints are for your health. it would cost a lot more to have the proper equipment, let alone the materials to paint your own car. its only worth it if you are going to paint multiple cars

xer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
http://earlscheib.com/

the pro 1 service is 200, from what i hear theyre great.

Edited by xer, 17 December 2003 - 12:17 AM.

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
I have learned after painting 4 or 5 cars, to pay someone else to paint it, if I want it looking decent...

And these days, I think enamel is required, versus lacquer...

Maaco has good deals this time of year. Just do your own prep ahead of time.

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
The hardest part is getting a GOOD dry space to do the work. SInce its cold as fuck up here paint is pretty much outa the question here with out a properly heated AND vented garage. OSHA has standards about painting cars, but its very very vauge...

Prep is the next hardest, its time consuming which means the car is gonna be down for a while. Proper equiptment cost money, I would recomend a HLVP gun because they have less over spray and paint WAY better than a gravity fed gun. We used some cheap black paint we had layin around to get my hood black after my accident, and it looks like ass, the krylon job I did on my fender looks better.

I would recomend just sanding and primering it(keep it outa the rain if you do), then take it to Macco or Earl Shrieb for a quick spray, Might not look the BEST, but if you dont have the time or resources to do it CORRECTLY then its not worth the effort. I need to paint my Integra AND my CRX, the CRX is gonna get a krylon after I fix the rear quarters and fenders to get my R title for the car... It will look fine in pics, I could car less about in person, Ill strip that fucker down and prep it myself and go get it painted the right way.

Now my integra Im just buying base/clear and doing it myself. Its my daily beater, so I could car less, I just want it all one color and not all chipped up.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
i painted my car behind a K-mart just to let you know....it isnt that hard

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Dec 17 2003, 12:28 PM)
i painted my car behind a K-mart just to let you know....it isnt that hard

LMFAO! That is just f**king hellarious! Someday Ghost-one, I got to meet you face to face and shake your hand - YOU DA MAN!

Kirk

Edited by gtpilot, 17 December 2003 - 01:52 PM.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
yeah i have done alot of dumb stuff anyways i am sure we will meet one day

DarkHand

QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Dec 17 2003, 02:03 PM)
yeah i have done alot of dumb stuff anyways i am sure we will meet one day

Rpr Convention!
DarkHand

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
yea, i used to kno this guy who didnt belive in resporators when he painted cars and motorcycles, every now and than hed jump outta his boots at somethin only he saw, and hed say "holy **** did you just see that giant squirrel" and hed be dead serious hahahaha laugh.gif

Edited by rexsk8er, 18 December 2003 - 02:57 PM.

sk8lilbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX SI
My dad painted my car with an expensive gun, a clean garage, and good temp and it came out TERRIBLE. TTake it somewhere to get done. Its worth it.

michaelblanyer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1995 Geo Prizm
i got a friend of mine a job delivering chinese @ the place i work...

on his first or second day of work, he flat-blacked his 2g DX right behind the shop with six cans of Krylon.

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
Laying down the paint requires some skill & practice, it's not that hard. The ass-kicker is the sanding, taping, and general prep.

My dad painted cars in the summers when I was a kid, needless to say, I was exposed to all the grunt work involved in painting and as a result I'm scared for life when it comes to sanding. I hate it.