Mugen Cf-48 Rims

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

1STGEN-87-SI

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87-Black Si__87 Red DX
Hey Guys, I have a line on some Mugen CF-48 rims and the guy tried to tell me they where designed for the Crx. Can anyone verify this info?

Or if you can give me any info on the rims them self, love the look, just want more info.

The rims will be on a red 87 dx.

Thanks.

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
no they weren't designed for the crx specifically. they were an accessory/option and could have come on any 80's honda/acura. maybe he was trying to say that the rims are only supposed to be on a honda since mugen only deals with honda and acura.

They say that cf-48's are designed for effective cooling of the brakes. Acts like one big heat sink.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
they were released when the 84 hondas debuted, and were an option at the dealer for some time. get 'em. i've got a set.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Vicious

me too!!!!!!! with aero disks aswell cool.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Let me speak as member of the loyal opposition-

CF-48 are an aquired taste. If you like'em, great. I think they look like something that fell off of a Transformer.

They are not particularly light and the 13" version is only 5.5" wide. As for being a "heat sink," by that logic all wheels can be considered a heat sink as heat will transfer from the disks/drums to the attached wheels. *Maybe* you could argue that the design of the CF-48 allows cooling air to be drawn to the disks/drums. But the 1st/3rd Gens are so light that over heating the brakes on the street is nearly impossible, even with a huge Hoonage factor.

So if you like'em, go get'em. But I prefer something lighter and wider.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Jun 30 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for being a "heat sink," by that logic all wheels can be considered a heat sink as heat will transfer from the disks/drums to the attached wheels. *Maybe* you could argue that the design of the CF-48 allows cooling air to be drawn to the disks/drums.

All things aside, the design of the CF-48 is to increase surface area of the rim exposed to the ambient air. With the idea behind the covers is to reduce drag, but cover up the heatsink.

Is anyone likely to notice the benefits outside of a lab setting? Not very likely if you ask me. tongue.gif

I believe the most effective design of the rim for cooling is a "Fan" style, that draws air from the brake area and pumps it pumps it outside. Then you run a fresh air tube to the center of the disk and let the centrifugal pump of the vented disk do the rest.

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Jun 30 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me speak as member of the loyal opposition-

CF-48 are an aquired taste. If you like'em, great. I think they look like something that fell off of a Transformer.

Scott

Definitely an aquired taste. I don't mind them so much, but I'm not crazy about them either, and for those who like rarer items on their cars they're great. I too wanted something wider.
Build Thread- Here

1STGEN-87-SI

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87-Black Si__87 Red DX
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info, the rim re actually a 14" is it safe to say there a 6" wide rim?

Are the 14" rarer than the 13"?

Thanks again

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1STGEN-87-SI @ Jul 1 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info, the rim re actually a 14" is it safe to say there a 6" wide rim?

Are the 14" rarer than the 13"?

Thanks again

IIRC the CF-48 14's are 6" wide.

Not sure if the 14" or 13" are more rare. 13" wheels will give you better acceleration and braking.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
The 14" ones are the most common, so don't over pay. They were sold here in the US as accessory wheels, and up until about a year or two ago, you could still get some at junkyards. The 13" s are supposed to be the rarest from what I've heard, but they SEEM to be the least sought after. I usually didn't give them a second look, and from what I've seen they are slow to sell. The 15" seem to be the hardest to find in my experience. And the priciest. I initially thought the CF-48 to be an ugly ass wheel. They kinda grew on me so I bought a set of 14" CF-48s, which I may sell if I can find 15"s. They definitely have a unique look. Usually crappy sellers strip the wheel emblems and center caps off to sell on ebay for more $$. I found a good seller and got a set almost complete minus the super hard to find aerocovers. I did also buy a set of 15" Rota Beat which I actually like better. They are new, and complete with new center caps, and aerocovers, AND black with polished lips. I did find that the Rota center caps fit the real Mugen CF-48s. All you have to do is pry the plastic Rota badge off the center cap emblem and get some 45mm embossed aluminum Mugen badges on Ebay if you get a set with no center caps and don't want to buy a set on ebay for $250 or so. Having both owned Rotas and Mugens, I actually prefer the Rotas. Cheaper, in better condition, and I don't fear them being stolen as much. They look much nicer too, being 15's, new, and black. If you are going to drive your car on a regular basis and just like the look of CF-48s, get the Rotas for less than $500 shipped. Otherwise, just be cautious buying used CF-48s. Good luck.
14" Mugen CF-48

Center caps

Rota cap on Mugen, and it didn't burst into flames

Rota Aerocover on Mugen, a little big though,may work on 15's

Rotas

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

ChrisF-dude