• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

OldSkoolEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 96 Fiesta Zetec, New Project Coming Soon
    • Image Gallery
ive taken the cluster out of the car and taken it apart. ive already started painting the needles red. i plan on having red needles and different color/brighter lighting (its actually blue atm but i want it brighter) im also thinking about making my own gauge faces.. maybe white.

ill post pics and progress in here as i do the work and ofcourse there will be a before and after pic.
user posted image
96 Fiesta Zetec - The DD
87 Ballade - Sold for a bag of peanuts
Next Project - Coming Soon (I hope)
My Gallery

OldSkoolEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
ive painted all the needles red but im kinda stuck now... how the hell do you get the needles out to remove the gauge face? as far as i can tell they must just pull out.. this right? definately dont want to end up breaking one... blink.gif

before and after so far.. i think the red looks much better.. not as much of an eye sore.. i used ford radiant red touch up paint to paint the needles.

Edited by OldSkoolEX, 05 April 2004 - 10:06 AM.

user posted image
96 Fiesta Zetec - The DD
My Gallery

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
We modified our Si cluster to have the boost gauge between the speedo and tach, to keep the car as stock looking as possible.

Are you putting in LEDs to brighten up the cluster?

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes, the needles just pull off, the easiest way to remove them is to spin them counter-clockwise as you pull them off, because they are sticky the first time, and you need to break that 'seal'

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

celerity

• The visible world is the invisible organization of energy.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1991 Civic Hatch, 1987 4Runner SR5
Dude, you are totally out of gas !

This gauge cluster looks a lot easier to live with than the CRX one for re-coloring.

If you're gonna go through this kind of trouble, how about making an entirely new gauge cluster, with aftermarket gauges and home-made warning lights ?

-> Steve
Passion, if fed, Survives
Love, in time, Adapts
Trust, if Betrayed, Limits
Hope, if believed in, Thrives
Dreams, if realised, become true
Truth, if validated, becomes fact
Death, if accepted, calms
Life, without question, Goes on.

OldSkoolEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (celerity @ Apr 5 2004, 10:33 AM)
Dude, you are totally out of gas !

This gauge cluster looks a lot easier to live with than the CRX one for re-coloring.

If you're gonna go through this kind of trouble, how about making an entirely new gauge cluster, with aftermarket gauges and home-made warning lights ?

-> Steve

thought about it... at the minute im broke so DIY it is.. now im not saying i wont do that later on down the line tho..

i painted the little button to reset the trip counter red too.
user posted image
96 Fiesta Zetec - The DD
My Gallery

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
QUOTE (celerity @ Apr 5 2004, 10:33 AM)
with aftermarket gauges and home-made warning lights ?

-> Steve

who sells these for the crx?
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

OldSkoolEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
agh... no.. he means why dont i make one.. they dont sell them. you would have to buy a tach, speedo, water temp and fuel level gauge then make them fit under the gauge hood.

im not going to change the gauge face.. imo the red needles and trip counter button are enough. i have a little trick up my sleeve though.. im either going to remove the lights that backlight the face green or ill put colored LED sidelights in where the bulbs were. im not sure if ill need to do this yet because i havent tested the brightness of the cluster yet... while i was at it i painted the cover for the lights that shine through the blue filter.. hopefully with this being white instead of black now enough blue light will come out onto the face of the cluster.. if not ill line the cover with tin foil.

now ive got to work out what color i want the cluster to be backlit.. ill have to combine the colored LED sidelights with the green lenses to get the color i want. well.. that is assuming i dont think the blue face lighting is enough..

ill take some pics when it gets darker so everyone can "ooh and ahh" laugh.gif
user posted image
96 Fiesta Zetec - The DD
My Gallery

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
I'm thinking about making a custom guage cluster for Si. Going the whole way with it if I do.....

-aftermarket 10k RPM tach
-aftermarket speedometer
-boost guage
-egt guage
-oil pressure guage
-fuel guage

and there might be a few others, I will keep posted. By the way Oldschool your custom cluster looks good, keep it up.
SportInjectedClub

OldSkoolEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
thanks..

i couldnt stand that stupid orange.. too much of an eye sore. was also thinking about maybe making some sort of half assed gauge bezel/surround for the speedo and tach. also toying with the idea of maybe using needles from a different/newer car.

EDIT: noticed you got a cutlass.. when i was younger and lived in fla me and my dad took an older cutlass supreme and turned it into a jeep lol. we shortened the frame, plopped a jeep cj5 body on it, made a fiberglass hood and custom front end that could go through a tree and lifted the suspension. lemme tell you that thing was fast... err actually IS fast.. its still alive! allbeit with a dead cylinder but its still alive and at his house in fla.

Edited by OldSkoolEX, 05 April 2004 - 12:16 PM.

user posted image
96 Fiesta Zetec - The DD
My Gallery

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
i got a integra cluster with my d16 . luckily its black with white writing so i plan on putting in some blue LED's to make the white glow blue. the only hard part is making a cover for the cluster, it wont fit in the stock civic one
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image