What A Bad Dya

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

Poll: What A Bad Dya

Should I fire or suspend my driver?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

1stgengirl

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 CRX
OMG!! Where to start. Oh yeah waking up this morning. Ya know I love my job don't get me wrong. I am a Freight Broker and some drivers are just stupid. My guy this morning got made because they were there 2 minutes late to unload him so he starts kicking thing at the receiver. Yeah thats a way to get someone to help you. Then he starts yelling at me because he has to pay 100 bucks for them to unload his truck. What part of you pay the unloading fees and I will reimburse you don't he understand. Is that clear. Don't get me wrong I have had mostly the best drivers that I have ever met but he just crossed the line. So I did the best thing I fired him. Now what did I do I have a 300 pund driver crying to me over the phone that he needs this job am I wrong for firing him, I told him to call me tomorrow and I will have a decision. Now what do i tell him. I have a heart and I feel bad but I can't have someone like him trying to push me around and act like that for my customers. I think that maybe i should just suspend him til Monday. What do you guys think that i should do I am too stressed out right now.

Edited by 1stgengirl, 06 March 2008 - 03:30 PM.

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, EW4, Stock as I can make her.
Not to sound heartless, but this is *literally* your business. You have a broken part in your machine. Is it more cost effective to you to repair it, or replace it? That's the choice you face with the driver. Fix him, or forget him.

-Gil

DarkHand

Truck drivers are always in demand, he won't have a problem finding a new job. You start getting violent in the workplace, you don't have a workplace anymore. Plus if you fire him and let him back in, he'll know he can walk all over you at any time.
DarkHand

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
fired. if he needed the job that bad he would have controlled his anger.

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Mar 6 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Truck drivers are always in demand, he won't have a problem finding a new job. You start getting violent in the workplace, you don't have a workplace anymore. Plus if you fire him and let him back in, he'll know he can walk all over you at any time.

Quite true. That's repaired the wrong way. Repaired the right way, the broken part is stronger than the original - as in you make it clear that you absolutely own his ass, and he gives you complete unquestioning loyalty in return, which you test by ordering him to get his house in order - like attending anger management classes.

If it goes right, you end up with a guy you can always count on, a perfect employee. If it goes wrong, he owns you, and will keep screwing up because he knows he can get around you.

It's down to your style of management - are you an industrialist (replace the broken part), or are you a craftsman (build quality parts and look after them) ? It can go either way, the choice is yours. There is an economic incentive for second chances. Third chances, however, are almost always too expensive.

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I broke the mold to say suspend him. UNLESS you've had problems with him in past...then fire away.

Maybe there's more to the story? Problems at home? Financial?

I'm a 'second chance' kinda guy....cause I've been given them before...

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Just from what we got, I voted suspend him. But I agree with 87ClubRed, if you've had problems with him before (that you have talked to him about) then he needs to be gone.

But if this is really the first time hes done something like this, you need to tell him that another outburst like that won't be tolerated. He needs to understand you are looking for professionals, both in skills and in attitude on the job.

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
I think you should look into the problems from both sides... Is he that good you want to keep him and can let one thing slide or is he just an average to low performance driver tht you cant go wrong cuz the worst you can get is someone equally as bad as him... to say it in short... is he that good or can he be replaced? Is this his first time messing up and is he a really good driver as for you to forgive a one time or is he not worth it.

85Beater

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: cars he can pay cash for!
I'll agree with those who say let his past performance lead you to the fire/keep decision. Look at this incident as the spotlighting of him, now that he's singled himself out you have to decide if he's worth keeping. I'd say make the decision with the one incident aside, if you would fire him anyway, the decision is easy.
1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car.
Note: 1G CRX's are not durable against late model motorcycles...

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Bone stock except for Brembo rotors and upgraded pads

85Beater's Vouch Thread

~zeus~

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Honda Civic si "BetSi" RIP, 2001 Mazda MPV, 2007 Kia Spectra
Leave him fired.

The only reason not to leave him fired is if he is a member of a union and would file a grievance. This could cause you a LOT of headache.

Even if he is a union member you probably have just cause for firing him if he was creating an unsafe environment through his actions. Safety is #1!! Unsafe actions are inexcusable.

DarkHand is right, he'll find another job and you have no obligation to listen to him whine, just hang up.

Firing him actually sets a pretty good precedent IMHO. Other drivers you work with will know you don't take any crap.

Just my opinion.
QUOTE (Optimus Prime @ Transformers Season 2 Ep. 1)
"Megatron is behind this. I'd bet my titanium torsion bars on it."

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
It's easy for me to say given my position... but you gotta do what you gotta do. The sad truth to leadership positions is that if you show weakness by going back on your decisions, people won't take you seriously even though you're just doing what you feel is right and the dynamics of the situation give it merit- modern society and a great many people in general are not (for the lack of a better word) modern enough to see the difference between intelligent decision making and weakness, I call them conservatives. wink.gif

you can let him come back and watch the situation evolve into something worse or you can put it behind you; it might sound harsh but he sealed his fate when he acted that way, you have to do what is required of you.
He'll be fine.
-zak
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

1stgengirl

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX
Alright I am going to leave him fired. It is a good idea because I don;t want him to walk all over me and who is to say that next time he won't hit someone. I am not going to be held responsible for his actions. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what happens.

Edited by 1stgengirl, 07 March 2008 - 09:50 AM.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
QUOTE (zakats @ Mar 7 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's easy for me to say given my position... but you gotta do what you gotta do. The sad truth to leadership positions is that if you show weakness by going back on your decisions, people won't take you seriously even though you're just doing what you feel is right and the dynamics of the situation give it merit- modern society and a great many people in general are not (for the lack of a better word) modern enough to see the difference between intelligent decision making and weakness, I call them conservatives. wink.gif

you can let him come back and watch the situation evolve into something worse or you can put it behind you; it might sound harsh but he sealed his fate when he acted that way, you have to do what is required of you.
He'll be fine.
-zak

+5 Insightful!!!
You simply cannot let someone walk all over you, not even once... if you do they figure they can walk all over you any time they feel like it, and in the workplace when you are the boss/owner it's even more important. Zak is 100% correct, this guy sealed his fate when he started acting out of line.

Besides if he is a trucker he knew what the rules were already. He showed his true colours. He obviously cannot be professional about his job IN the workplace.... These are the personality types that will cost you, they think nothing of acting out in the workplace (which makes both of you look bad) and they also thinking nothing of stealing stuff from the shop. I've worked all angles of the shipping/receiving business everything from selling pallet jacks/dock lifts/parts to swamping to night managing a Loomis (DHL) depot.... So I kinda know what I'm talking about

This is how I lead my life... Though I use a simpler measure: I will free give the shirt off my back to anyone that *needs* it.. if that shirt gets thrown back in my face that person will never be able to come to me about/for anything EVER again.

I've given second chances to so many people just to have them use me, slander me, steal shit from me, eat all my food, etc etc etc that I'm not as charitable as I once was... I'm bitter about it now.. people these days will take you for a ride and not even think twice about it.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (JeepGirl @ Mar 7 2008, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've given second chances to so many people just to have them use me, slander me, steal shit from me, eat all my food, etc etc etc that I'm not as charitable as I once was... I'm bitter about it now.. people these days will take you for a ride and not even think twice about it.

Me too, and so true for many others, and so what? If the world actually worked that way, there would only be one dog left, and it'd eventually starve. I can't live like that... cynical, untrusting, afraid to show weakness, treating my fellow man as either predator or prey. I won't live like that. If that means being used by selfish people from time to time, then that's what it means - I guarantee you they won't use me twice. I'd rather put up with that than live in a culture of fear.

-Gil

Edit: Sorry for the outburst. Touched a nerve.

1stGENcrxLOVER

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: white 2004 civic ex 2dr. black 2008 odyssey touring. blue 2007 ford f150 xl
QUOTE (1stgengirl @ Mar 6 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG!! Where to start. Oh yeah waking up this morning. Ya know I love my job don't get me wrong. I am a Freight Broker and some drivers are just stupid. My guy this morning got made because they were there 2 minutes late to unload him so he starts kicking thing at the receiver. Yeah thats a way to get someone to help you. Then he starts yelling at me because he has to pay 100 bucks for them to unload his truck. What part of you pay the unloading fees and I will reimburse you don't he understand. Is that clear. Don't get me wrong I have had mostly the best drivers that I have ever met but he just crossed the line. So I did the best thing I fired him. Now what did I do I have a 300 pund driver crying to me over the phone that he needs this job am I wrong for firing him, I told him to call me tomorrow and I will have a decision. Now what do i tell him. I have a heart and I feel bad but I can't have someone like him trying to push me around and act like that for my customers. I think that maybe i should just suspend him til Monday. What do you guys think that i should do I am too stressed out right now.

your just a broker you have no authority to hire or fire anyone just a choice to use or not to use them anymore lol