Whats The Diff

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1991 Civic Sedan DX (HAHA my parts hauler)
whats the diff between the 87SI and 87DX radiator.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Don't quote me, but I have seen three different radiators in our cars.

One is my 86 DX 1.3 Civic Rad, a tiny little half rad that came stock. I have also been led to believe that it is the same rad as the CRX HF. It is about a half inch thick, and runs about or just over half the length of the front of the car.

The second that I ever saw was the CRX Si Rad, which is almost twice as long and about 3/4 inch thick, and is what is in my Civic now.

Civic DX 1.3 Vs CRX Si 1.5

Finally, the last rad that I saw was in Eezer's car, it is the same 3/4 inch thickness of the Si rad, but about 4 inches shorther in overall length, and I imagine it is the stock radiator for the Civic 1500S and CRX DX.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
but if you have a CRX dx with a automatic trannsmission it comes with a full size rad with a transmission oil cooler built in to the rad as well also the teg radators are longer than the crx si's full lenghts.

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
mines not an auto its a stick. I was just wonder cause

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Aren D. @ Feb 10 2004, 08:07 PM)
but if you have a CRX dx with a automatic trannsmission it comes with a full size rad with a transmission oil cooler built in to the rad as well also the teg radators are longer than the crx si's full lenghts.

Well if you are going to include the teg then....

But for A/T rads, they have a special inlet and outlet for the tranny cooler, right?

Plus, you should be careful if looking for a rad at a junker, not to take an A/T rad if you are getting one for your car that is M/T, unless you have an oil cooler or something...

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

ImprtRcr02

• You Dare Mess With A Saiyajin??
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 04' Srt-4, working on the crx beast
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ok heres pics of my 87 Crx Dx Auto radiator.

So if I wanted to put this in a manual car then I could have like an oil cooler now? I didnt even notice those two extra inlets until I read this post tongue.gif .

ImprtRcr02

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
A radiator designed for an automatic will work on a manual transmission car.

Some mfg'rs will only stock one common radiator for both applications. If you don't have an A/T, just leave the two connections disconnected (or plugged to keep the inside from corroding).

I run a Modine DX radiator on my racecar that has been converted from DX to Si set up and my temps never go above 180-185F, even on a hot summer day at IRP in Indiana when it was 90+ outside in the shade....and there weren't no shade...
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My buddy got a rad and I have no idea what it was from ?
I think it was from a Sedan and had the automatic in/out - It ran the hole width of the front grill.

Doodson

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
All I really need to know is if a DX rad will work with an SI engine. Sorry for any inconvenience unsure.gif

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
yeah it should work Im running a hf rad on a d16a1 and no problems so far.

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
thanks man i was hopeing.LOL rolleyes.gif

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (D16CRX @ Feb 10 2004, 09:22 PM)
All I really need to know is if a DX rad will work with an SI engine. Sorry for any inconvenience unsure.gif

You should have said so in the first place! laugh.gif

ImprtRcr02: Actually, as soon as I thought about the inlet/outlet of the Rad I thought about an oil cooler. It would be a lot of work to actually get the lines from the oil outlet out the the rad, and chances are the rad would not be able to handle the pressure.

HOWEVER, the D15A3 block incorporates an oil cooler bracket where the oil filter normally goes, and runs coolant through a small unit to cool the oil. SO, in theory, you could bypass the coolant from the block and get the cold coolant from the A/T rad going straight to the oil cooler unit, just by adding some hose... do you follow? Actually, this is something I am going to put on my mod list...

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

krustindumm

My 86 DX w/ MT came w/ a full width rad. I suppose it could have been aftermarket.

-Dustin