radrice86's Content

There have been 8 items by radrice86 (Search limited from 21-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#496404 3g Dx Radiator Fan Not Shutting Off...

Posted by radrice86 on 23 July 2010 - 10:19 PM in 3G Civic

I am stumped. Let the car sit for 2 hours after driving tonight, put the key in the ignition and before starting the car the fan came on!? Motor was warm at best.

I like the idea of running a separate fan switch from the fuse box-- great idea Mark! I appreciate the color-code for the wire smile.gif I think that will be the most sound AND cheapest quick-fix... it'll hold just fine 'til she's all torn-apart this fall!

Thank you!!!

#496358 3g Dx Radiator Fan Not Shutting Off...

Posted by radrice86 on 23 July 2010 - 12:39 PM in 3G Civic

When I shut off my car the radiator fan continues to run until I pull the fuse for the fan. It doesn't turn off after a few minutes when hot out like other older vehicles I had: found this out the hard way when it drained the battery! It just runs and runs and runs....

Anyone have an idea what may be causing this? Is it the sensor that's screwed into the radiator reading too hot?

Off note: I've acquired the FI motor, Webers, manifold, and other goodies I continue to stockpile! Putting the build/swap on hold while I enjoy this beautiful summer out here in Colorado, but when things start to cool off the project begins... Thanks again to Aren for the parts and the knowledge!

#493417 Building A Dual-carb Motor Very Soon: Just A Few Questions...

Posted by radrice86 on 10 June 2010 - 12:36 AM in 3G Civic

Jsgprod: Thank you! It's looking like I've got a deal with Aren for the complete package; I was not 100% clear at first, but he's definitely got what I'm looking for...

Blacksheep: Do you happen to know if the Web Cam has a hotter grind than the stock SI? Or is it a factory replacement? As far as the pistons go, a bump to 11:1 or-near-it compression would be quite nice... I'd like to shoot for it as long as I can keep the motor-work/re-boring relatively reasonable cost-wise. If that gentleman's name comes to you, it may be of great help..!

Again, I do not have enough praise and thanks for everyone on this forum for their help and advice-- THANK YOU! Soon, my '86 DX will become a true Red Pepper, and I can't wait!

#492928 Building A Dual-carb Motor Very Soon: Just A Few Questions...

Posted by radrice86 on 04 June 2010 - 09:23 PM in 3G Civic

Great advice- thanks to everyone! I appreciate the link for those manifolds if I cannot obtain a used one. Glad to know someone out there is making them!

#492860 Building A Dual-carb Motor Very Soon: Just A Few Questions...

Posted by radrice86 on 03 June 2010 - 10:22 PM in 3G Civic

Excellent advice an knowledge- thank you Aren! And I will pm you regarding that sale...

Will the D16A1 pistons clear the stock valve setup?

#492411 Building A Dual-carb Motor Very Soon: Just A Few Questions...

Posted by radrice86 on 29 May 2010 - 02:54 AM in 3G Civic

Hello! I'm miserably new to this forum and something less than a mechanical genius; please bear with my noob-ist tendencies...

I am building a motor to throw into my 3g '86 DX. I will be purchasing a used motor shortly, and I'm curious as to which set-up will be most ideal for this project: my goal is to get maximum, reasonably-attainable power from a carbureted set-up, without going custom-everything...

Should I put a fuel-injected 3g SI head onto the carb'd DX bottom end? Or will I be better off just rebuilding an entire SI motor?

What pistons will work best/attain highest compression with stock valves?

And finally (dreading the answer to this one): where can I acquire the appropriate intake manifold(s) for dual Weber/or Mikuni 40's? I have been told "good luck" finding these, with loads of punctuated lack-of-faith. Custom-welding/fabrication of these is an option, but finding a set would make this project loads simpler...

--Thank you! I have found the information on this forum to be immensely valuable (true Guru's on here!), and I'll be sharing my progress soon as this project gets underway...

#491714 Ok I Need Help With This Head Swap.....

Posted by radrice86 on 20 May 2010 - 08:11 PM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (Bubba @ May 17 2010, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The issue with this swap is that you will only h ave one intake valve with the 1.3 head verses two with the 1.5 head= less airflow at higher rpms.

I just rebuilt my 1.3 and I don't know that the combustion chamber on the 1.3 head is any smaller than the 1.5 HF head (also 8 valves)- maybe someone else knows for sure.

What I did notice is that the 1.3 has fairly flat topped pistons, whereas the non-hf 1.5 pistons are dished a little more. I wonder if the combustion chamber sizes are similar between the 1.3 and 1.5, but the dished vs flat topped pistons is why the 1.3 has 10:1 compression and the 1.5 has less.

Here's a pic of the very slight relief on top of my 1.3 piston (note that it is similar to the 1.5 HF piston in that it only has 1 compression ring):

Here are my 1.5 dx pistons (dished a little more):

Thank you- and thanks for the pic! I was unaware of the 1.3 head having only 8 valves. Taking that into consideration, I doubt there could be much gain to be had even if the combustion chamber has increased compression- the piston difference tells the story as well. I am running a 1.5 12-valve DX right now. As it is the original motor with only 125k and netting me 39.5mpg at a mile-high altitude, I'm feeling less inclined than ever to modify her at all. The more I read on this forum, the more i want to keep this motor unmolested and do a bench-build on a junkyard special. Thanks again for the help!

#491321 Ok I Need Help With This Head Swap.....

Posted by radrice86 on 16 May 2010 - 09:49 PM in 3G Civic

Ok: flipside to that question: can i bolt a 1300cc head to a 1488 bottom-end without valve/piston clearance issues? And will the raised compression be worth the effort? I read in the Wiki that a 1st gen CRX head onto the stock bottom-end is best, but I am curious as to the difference between a 1st gen CRX head and the stock 3g Civic 1488cc head.

I am desperately new to this forum and forums in general. I just bought an '86 hatch and have already begun to collect parts to do a carbed-motor build. I appreciate senior members tolerance and patience with my inexperience and look forward to being a contributing member soon!

-Thanks!