• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 Honda Civic AWD Wagon
    • Image Gallery
Hello all smile.gif I left out of courtesy to another (more prominent) member a few years ago and I won't say I'm back but I do not think he will mind me popping on bc I have a problem with my car. I have an 87 Civic AWD Wagon. I love my car! It is my regular car and I need it a few times a week and I can't drive it right now sad.gif

I've been having overheating problems for a while now. Replaced a bunch of stuff that didn't help. I just don't drive it far so I don't really have to deal with it. A few months ago I put a battery in it that was a bit too big but I needed it, so it would work for the short time until I could get the right size. It wasn't in there long before I did put a smaller one in but it put a little bit of a dent in my top radiator hose. Didn't pinch it closed, less than halfway. Anyway, I popped my hood today (for shits and giggles, I look under there every now and then just because I can) and I see my top hose is flat, like it was suctioned closed:( and to my dismay, so is the other one sad.gif I have no plans on driving it like this at all!

My question is: Has anyone ever even seen this? Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Or what I can do about it?

Thank you in advance smile.gif

Visit: Asimo - The Coolest LowRider

FI Blacktop D16A1/ZC Hybrid

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Oh, and: Wagon Power !!! tongue.gif

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
As the engine cools after shut-down, the coolant contracts. Normally, reserve fluid is drawn back into the system from the overflow bottle, and yes, a slight vacuum is formed to do this. If the return path has too much restriction, the vacuum increases and can collaspe a hose. However, a proper hose should have enough body stiffness to withstand the ususal amount of vacuum and should be able to draw fluid back into the system. Deteriorated hoses may collaspe. Another cause is that the hose was not the proper one, or good one, in the first place and did not have body stiffeners within it. Sometimes, the bottom radiator hose may have a spring-like coil of wire in its body; The upper one may, or may not have such stiffeners. Places where restrictions may occur in the return line (from the overflow bottle) o Wrong radiator cap, or one with a stuck or plugged valve. o Collasping hose from the radiator to the overflow bottle. o Gunk in the bottom of the overflow bottle getting sucked over the return opening. o Interference on the hose going from the coolant system to the overflow bottle, like a mounting clamp pinching this hose. I presume this is a new problem that has developed lately, therefore its a good bet that both (upper and lower) radiator hoses should be relaced. And while these are off, its a good idea to change the thermostat too.

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Thank you for all the information. Thank You so very much!

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
I don't care if you're here at rpr. I don't expect you to leave the only site with any info for your car and the guy who helped build it. We are all adults here and I feel pretty confident that we can all act accordingly

Now for the hoses. If I recall correctly, I believe they were the old worn out, soft ones originally in the car when you got it so there's no telling how old they are. I would start with replacing both of them and the radiator and then keep a good eye on the hoses and temp for a while.

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member