• You cannot reply to this topic
78 replies to this topic

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage

piece on the back of the CDM Carb is the anti Diesel valve.

05192012083.jpg

spuker1

• bwwwaaaaaaaaah
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Civic

Thanks guys! I need all the support now as I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing :D

Yea air filters are coming off for now. The main problem at the moment is that it doesn't seem to get any fuel through, gauge on the fuel pressure reg stays on  0, there seem to be fuel going into the regulator, not sure about past it, haven't checked... I might just bypass it for now and have the fuel line going from the top so like it would be a bit gravity fed...

spuker1

• bwwwaaaaaaaaah
  • PipPip
I've been suggested using an inline electric fuel pump for my application but they usually don't have fuel return so that would be an issue and also I wouldn't know how to blank off a space left after taking the stock one off... Is using an electric pump completely necessary or will the stock one be ok?

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

That's a mechanical fuel pump, it only works when the cam is turning... It should be fine for the bike carbs...

And make sure your reg is actually open, sometimes those screws are tricky, like I think screwed in is open, kind of backwards from what one would think. 

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

spuker1

• bwwwaaaaaaaaah
  • PipPip
Cheers,

I'll double check the reg anyway, but I'm pretty sure that the screw undone means wide open, at least that's what manual said I think... Also someone suggested that if the fuel pressure gauge shows no pressure it doesn't necessary have to mean that there's no fuel coming through, is that correct? When would it show pressure reading then?

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

In this case, I would also suggest an inline electric pump with aftermarket filter, adjustable pressure regulator, and pressure gauge.  You'll want the ability to make as many adjustments as possible.  You're going to need to find out what fuel pressure the carbs require (I would guess 3-5psi), and ditch the factory pump altogether.   

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Stock pump is in the 5 to 7 psi range. I would remove the regulator and make sure the pump is pumping, get it running and check fuel mixture with wide band. Good chance its close to the needed fuel pressure already.

05192012083.jpg

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery

the pdf article posted about puting bike carbs on vintage fords seemed to say no more than 3psi for bike carbs.

QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I thought the stock mech pump was ~3 psi... It should show a pressure reading after the motor has been cranked for a few seconds, so that the pump can get juice in the system. It may take a few tries, as the system has to push some air out, since you had it opened up...

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

spuker1

• bwwwaaaaaaaaah
  • PipPip
Ok, thanks for all the input! The car has started! I haven't done anything else to it, just kept on cranking it and it fired up. The idle is a bit rough and fairly low (about 300-400rpm) and it sounds, smells and reads on wideband like it's running quite rich too. On stock intake it would idle around 17 to 18:1, now it idles around 15:1 and when you rev it it drops down to around 9-10:1... The gauge on my fuel pressure regulator isn't showing any pressure anyway, could it be because it's wide open now or because I didn't connect it to the vacuum (it said it's optional in the manual so I don't know...)

I will post a video soon :)

Thanks for help and I'll keep you posted! :)

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery

Those style of fuel pressure gauges are carp. I bought one for my 20/22r turbo set total crap.

SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

spuker1

• bwwwaaaaaaaaah
  • PipPip
Here's the video of it :)

spuker1

• bwwwaaaaaaaaah
  • PipPip

Ok, so I got it to start and idle nicely now, everything except vacuum for brakes is hooked up (that's not a problem). It idles very nice I think, it starts up even better then on stock carb I think. The problem seems to be fuelling now... it cut's out and won't rev past 2000-3000rpm with AFR dropping down to sub 18:1 when I push throttle quickly and especially on WOT. The choke is awesome when the engine is cold but when it's nice and warm it cuts the engine off so no luck there either... When I press throttle gently (up to about 1/4 of entire scale) it will rev up nicely with healthy AFR... Also as you can see, fuel pressure gauge shows nothing all the time and it runs exactly the same if I close it down or open it all the way up.

Has anyone got any clues what could that be? I don't think it's jetting because carbs seem to be capable of getting enough fuel through...

Please help if you can.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery

LIke I said before the adj fuel pressure are crap. Ive tryed useing one. Have you re jetted the carbs jet?

SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Carbs with a vacum diaphragm slides (CV carbs) don't tend to like those air filters and usually cause issues.
05192012083.jpg