Seats For My 1g

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

Sgt. Pepper

Okay, I did a search on this topic and this is what I know:

2nd gen seats will bolt right into a 1g using 1g rails.

del sol seats will fit with some fabrication.

I have 1g rails.

I don't want to "jerry rig" anything that is unsafe.

My question is - exactly what has to be done to the seats/rails to use the del sol seats? I like the 2g seats and they will fit in with the least amount of trouble. I REALLY like the del sol seats, but if it's a major PIA to fabricate and get them to fit, I may reconsider. Can someone with insight shed some light on exactly what has to be done with the rails and del sol seats to make them fit my 1g?

Would like answers in the next 3-5 days (no reason ph34r.gif )

Thanks!
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si B17 2006 Saab 9-2X Aero #30/338
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Mar 18 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2nd gen seats will bolt right into a 1g using 1g rails.

That's not true. I've heard that the 88 seats are a bolt in, but I don't think that it has ever been verified. The 89 -91 Si will require some drilling and tapping on the seat pans and the 1g rails, but it's not too bad.

Bobby <- installed 89 Si seats in his rex

sig1.jpg

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (1gencrx @ Mar 18 2007, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not true. I've heard that the 88 seats are a bolt in, but I don't think that it has ever been verified. The 89 -91 Si will require some drilling and tapping on the seat pans and the 1g rails, but it's not too bad.

Oh? Tell me more...
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

Sgt. Pepper

What do you guys mean by the seat pan? Is it part of the seat or the floorboards? If I have to fabricate something to make the 2g seats work AND I like the del sol seats better and they also need fabrication, I would rather use the del sol seats. Can I use them with my 1g rails with some fab? Does anyone know exactly what has to be done to accomplish that? Please, someone shed some light.

This seems like a hot topic (with 20+ threads) with very little concrete answers. Seems everyone has different opinions on what will work and how to make it work. There are quite a few members looking for similar answers to this same old topic. If members, who have done "seat swaps", could post a "how to" and maybe have them put in the FAQ's, it would help. Just my .02 worth (for what it's worth).

But right now let's focus on me: biggrin.gif 2g/del sol seats in a 1g

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX (Straman Convertable) 87 CRX Si 91 CRX
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Mar 18 2007, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh? Tell me more...

There are two different seat pans (the metal bottom on the seat) on the 2nd Gen USDM CRX seat.

The 88 CRX seats are a bolt in deal using the 1st Gen seat rails.
The difference comes from the fact that Honda mounted seat belts on the doors in '89 and this required the buckle to be attached to the seat. So...If there are seat belt buckles attached to the seat these are NOT bolt in.............

BUT

this doesn't apply to 2nd Gen CRX seats from markets outside the US...Canada, Japan and everyplace on the planet had the same style seat pan from 88-91..therefore those seat will bolt in with 1st gen seat rails
(these are what I have in my 'vert...from Germany)

Also as a "bolt in" deal are seats from 2nd gen Prelude (83-87) using the seat rails from the Prelude
(these are what I have in my 87 CRX Si)

Hope this helps

Edited by SEEKERone, 19 March 2007 - 11:49 AM.

newrising

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx hf
I bought some the ebay seats for the second gen mad by NRG and the holes (I think it's called the pan not sure) was off by about an inch i had to drill into the 1 gen rails to line the holes up length wise. and if your sitting in the seat looking towards the steering wheel the hole on the front left was off. Don't know if this helps but the seats were made for a 2nd gen so figured it'd be the same
Play 2 Win

projEKtjokes

• Wanna see some mexican magic. . .
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Nissan S12 Silvia, 97 EK hatch and coupe, 90 Mitsu Mighty Max, 87 Si Hatch
Ok then since were on this topic, will 4g civic Si seats bolt into a 3g using its rails?

Edited by projEKtjokes, 19 March 2007 - 01:29 PM.

user posted image

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Seats seem to be a favorite topic so lets get some things straight:

The head room on a 1st gen is tight to start with (specially in a Si with a sunroof). If you put in new seats, the chances are the bottom bolster (the thing you sit on) will be thicker and move you head closer to the roof. Something to consider if you are tall and/or wear a helmet.

The stock seats fit good and are comfortable for daily use (Racing requires racing seats. And racing seats are not good for daily driving). If your stock seats are torn up (most of them are at this point) you can have them rebuilt by a local upholstry for less than buying eBay seats or junkyard seats.

Check Summit Racing. They sell a non-reclining "racing" seat for damn cheap that can be adapted to fit on the stock rails. This is what I am using in my car.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Sgt. Pepper

Thanks for all the replies so far, very informative.

My main concern is comfort, although I think the del sol seats look slick, I wanna be comfortable if I am going to be behind the wheel for an extended period of time. I can't sit in my wife's Hyundai for more than 20 minutes without a pillow behind me. I don't want to do this in the rex. I understand the del sol seats are very comfortable. "Liz" is not a racer nor a daily driver, she'll be for fun and meets.

Basically, if I can't get the del sol seats to work I am going to find a set of 1g/2g seats. I need to know what exactly has to be done to each to get them to work in my 1g.

Sgt. Pepper

...so, the only "bolt in" seats are the '84-'88 CRX and '83-'87 Prelude seats? Everything else will need fabrication?

So if I am looking at 2g CRX (after '88) or del sol seats, they will need the same amount of fabrication? Do either of those options require drilling holes in my floor pan? dry.gif After patching all these rust holes, I hate to drill more. I guess what I am asking is:

Which require less fab...2g or del sol?

Which don't require floor pan drilling...2g or del sol?

And if anyone has used del sol seats in a 1g, please explain the process.

Still looking for answers in the next 2-3 days ph34r.gif

Thanks guys!

dnocrx

• www.wirednj.com
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx zc boosted
QUOTE (1gencrx @ Mar 18 2007, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm wondered about this also but i've talked to Mr.D on the phone and he told me that the seat's he has in his gray crx are from an 88 crxsi and they did bolt right up.i'm not quoting him but that's what i understood from him.
RUN YOUR CAR NOT YOUR MOUTH

blackhatch

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 CRX Si 87 Civic Si
I wonder if 88 4th gen civic seats will bolt into a 3g civic? I'm considering putting 86-89 Integra seats in my 3g, but I'd much rather swap pans from a 4th gen civic or 2nd gen CRX and get them in there. Any Ideas?

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Mar 19 2007, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The stock seats fit good and are comfortable for daily use (Racing requires racing seats. And racing seats are not good for daily driving). If your stock seats are torn up (most of them are at this point) you can have them rebuilt by a local upholstry for less than buying eBay seats or junkyard seats.
Scott

I couldn't disagree with you more.

The stock seats are horribly uncomfortable and are a horrible design. They may have been semi-comfortable when new, but after 20 years of foam derterioration they are just plain crap. I am an upholsterer, and I would not be able to reupholster the stock seats for less than the cost of a set of Ebay seats (this is why I don't do cars anymore), and I definitely couldn't compete with the $25 that my local junk yard wants for a seat.

When most people say "racing seats" they are referring to aftermarket reclineable seats with large side bolsters and a large seat bolster (the part under your thighs). Although I do agree with you that a true racing seat does not belong in a daily driver.

I had a set of '90 SI seats in my CRX and they are much, MUCH, more comfortable than the stock seats. I had to swap the whole seat pan in order to install them since the rails were not a direct swap.

Edited by lxndr, 21 March 2007 - 11:37 PM.

Sgt. Pepper

There were 2 sets of *MINT* del sol seats on ebay on Saturday that I was bidding on.

I was outbid on both mad.gif

1st set went for $177.00 (my bid was $175 and I wasn't home to update it) sad.gif

2nd set went for $436.00 (my bid was $300 and I wasn't home to update it) sad.gif

Did I mention they were MINT dry.gif

Next mint set that comes up, I'm gonna set my max @ $1,000,000,000 laugh.gif

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Get yourself a brand new pair of Momos, Tenzos, Sparco, or Carbeaus. That will involve the same fabrication but wayyyyyyy more quality. If you get the adjustable ones, they are fine for daily driving or racing. Although on a full time race car, you want a non-adjustable racing seat. The aftermarket ones I mentioned run circles around any stock seat, del sol included. Even my cheap 3A racing seats from Pepboys are better than the Integra ones I have in my Civic. Getting over the bolster takes getting used to, but it's nothing once you do. My buddy has a Momo Corse seat in his Civic hatch. There's nothing else like it.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND