• You cannot reply to this topic
45 replies to this topic

BrianGT

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CSP CRX Si, 86 GP CRX, 87 CRX Si, 98 Civic, 05 STi
How it used to look:

I got bored with my crx being flat black, and painted it yellow, after seeing that the sprayer was on sale at Harbor Freight for $12. I also decided to buy 200ft of pvc pipe, and see if I could make a spray booth.

I first taped racing stripes on the car with painter's tape over the flat black paint, and painted a few coats of yellow, rustoleum yellow from home depot, $21 of paint total:

After the yellow was dry, I removed the stripes, and the Domo-kun vinyl stickers, and got ready to clearcoat the car with automotive clearcoat ($60 of clearcoat, still have 1/2 left)

I finished the clearcoat tonight, and removed the rest of the tape:

I still need to put the side black trim back on the car, and buff it once the clearcoat sits for a few days.

I have a few runs on the car, from spraying too much paint, but I learned a good bit during the process, and should be able to get a much better paint job on my next car.

I was going to straight up copy Joe on the stripes, and go with dual 8" ones, but I decided that 6" was a better match for the crx. Total cost was around $150, including the sprayer, paint, pvc piping, plastic sheeting, and 1/2 of the clearcoat. It took about 2 full days of work painting, and a half day to make the paint booth and masking the car.

More pics:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/crx

I will take some new pics of it outside tomorrow.

--
Brian

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
Very cool idea with the homemade paint booth. I will need to make note of this for when I have a garage. I look forward to seeing some pics outside and complete.

Good job,

Kirk
No more CRX

BrianGT

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks! It is a bit overcast today, but the pics came out ok. I still have a few misc things to do to the car, like putting back on the cornermarkers and the extra moldings.

Pics:

More pics here:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/crx

I have some old school recessed lights that I will eventually put in it, instead of the flush mount ones.

--
Brian

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Looks good. Recessed lights on yellow will look even better.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Honda Civic SI 1986
That looks awesome! Good job! I was planning to do the same thing to my SI except with black and white. How much did it cost to build that spray booth?

BrianGT

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (warder @ Sep 24 2006, 10:05 AM)
That looks awesome! Good job! I was planning to do the same thing to my SI except with black and white. How much did it cost to build that spray booth?

For building the spray booth, I bought 20 - 1" diameter 10' pieces of PVC pipe, and cut them on my tablesaw. It was around $60 of stuff. The plastic sheeting is 2mil stuff.

The yellow paint is Rustoleum Sunburst yellow, which is $7 a qt. The car has a nice thick coat and I used 3 qts total. For the first coats, I didn't thin it out at all, but for the next couple coats, I added 1 pt of acetone for the quart of yellow, and it sprayed much better. This was my first time painting with an air sprayer, so there are runs on the car, but they aren't visible from more than 5' away. The key is to get the paint thin enough, and do thin coats, 10-15 minutes apart, once the paint gets sticky. I learned the same thing for the clearcoat, with the first coat being too thick, and the rest looking great.

I want to get some 15s for the car, as the 16s are from my civic, and look too big on the car IMO. I like the phone dial wheels better actually. Anyone know any good 15" wheels that would look good with the yellow? Would 15x7 ET40 work on the car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=8046296820

--
Brian

Edited by BrianGT, 24 September 2006 - 09:23 AM.

ChrisF-dude