Mukuni Carb Crash Course

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    Garage View Garage
I'm thinking of keeping my new DX carbed. The Mukuni's are running good on the car, but it has a bad intake valve, so i was thinking, electric fuel pump and FPR. regrind the cam, header, port the head... but.... I want a total sleeper, and i know FI will make more power, but i dont really have the time to throw around for a FI swap. I hear that carbs are easy to tune and i dont have emissions in Mi cool.gif I just want to at least keep up with my dad's 5.0L (he has a new motor with gt-40 heads and intake on the way in sad.gif ) in the 1/4 and i already know i'd whoop him on a road course.

I was thinking nitrous for some fun on race day and a buddy of my dad's runs his s10 with a huge shot of it (he runs 10's, this seasons he's shooting for 8's).. and he's a carb man to death so i'm sure he'd love to help. Are the Mukuni's a good platform to build on?
I have nothing...

nivek2002

You will never make enough power on a D15 to keep up with a V8 with GT40 heads. I would think NO NITROUS on carbs since there is no way to compensate for the extra O2. Just rebuild the head and such and make it RELIABLE horsepower is my suggestion.

Kevin

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI racecar, and 86 Civic DX
Get a canadian dx head and put a cam in it with your carbs. That should make it a fun little car. You could get GT-Pilot to recurve your dizzy too.
There's people that dont know and people that don't know they don't KNOW!!

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
recurve your dizzy too.

This is new to me! Do tell 'ole chap!
I have nothing...

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
I would think NO NITROUS on carbs since there is no way to compensate for the extra O2.
Wet shot?

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI racecar, and 86 Civic DX
GT-Pilot had said that he could recurve them so I would pm him and ask. You put the dizzy on a machine and change the springs and weghts in it to get a better ignition curve.
There's people that dont know and people that don't know they don't KNOW!!

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
Well the way carbs work is on a vacume because of a venutri. Nos will increase the engines rpm and fuel needs and it will automatically compensate for an increase in fuel needs because of an increase in flow through the venturi causing a larger vacume. That is if you have the right jet size. Carbs work exponentally, basically if you have a carb that can create a flow rate for a certian engine fron 1000 rpm to 5000 rpm, as long as the fuel needs are in a relitivly liner fashion its flow can increase exponentally at the linier rate the jet allows. The reasons we need to tune jets is to modify the fuel curve so that it can be as close as possible to the needs of the motor. If a carb couldnt compensate for extra air ect ect ect, than it would have to have many jets instead of 2 one for idle and one for high speed. You will have to rejet your carb however, which will decrease fuel economy, because the fuel needs of the motor will be changed, but it will still run ok w/o nos. Thats why so many old schoolers love nos because its so easy with carbs. But it is a good way to blow your motor. The thing that kills motors is hp and torque, not power adders like nos and boost. They contribute to it, but as long as you run a low amount and do jet the carbs right you should be ok. Say a 50 shot or somewhere in there.

Sean

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
QUOTE (Vandemar @ Jan 4 2005, 03:32 AM)
I would think NO NITROUS on carbs since there is no way to compensate for the extra O2.
Wet shot?

HA HA HA. You guys are funny. People have been using nitrous with carbs for decades--longer than with fuel injection!

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

nivek2002

lol I dont know what I was thinking last night posting that. I really dont know much about Nitrous Oxide since I dont like it smile.gif

Sorry to be misleading smile.gif

Kevin

Steve91

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Carbs can deliver excellent performance. I would recommend that if you haven't purchased your carbs already, that you get Weber carbs. Mikuni stopped making side draft carbs about 10 years ago, so parts are very hard to find.

I've been running Weber's on my crx for a while now and they work well