Grassroots Motorsports Totally Blew It! Grm Knows Nothing!

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery

The latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports has an article on the 1985 to 1986 CRX Si.

I lost a lot of respect for GRM when I read this poorly written and poorly researched article.

First of all, GRM doesn't even mention Red Pepper Racing.
At all.

Even worse, GRM lists Honda -Tech (Ick) as the online source for info on the 1985 - 1987 CRX Si.
WTF?!?!?

The article mentions checking for rust on the anti roll bar links but not a word about the panhard rod mount.

It says to use an HF rear axle, but no mention of welding the rear axle or installing a rear axle locking plate.

It says the largest torsion bar you can run is a 27.5, or you have to make custom torsion bar tubes?
Say what?
This is news to me since Upgrade Motoring sells 29mm and 31 mm torsion bars.

No mention of any swaps of any kind.  No B or D swaps at all, let alone H and K swaps.
No mention of Integra brake swaps and upgrades.

No mention of any of the really cool parts that are, or were, made by Red Pepper Racing members.

All RPR Members should write GRM and let them know how wrong they are!

MK

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
As the magazine slowly sinks in oblivion and proft margins disapear, the quality of reasearch will also diminish. The saddest aspect is that IF they print a retraction, it will be many months in the future and the mis-information will be accepted as Gospel by the newbs.

GRM is responsible for getting me into the 1st Gen hobby. About 12 years ago they had a headline, "Go Fast Cheaply." The bastards used two of my trigger words, "fast" and "cheaply." Any way, they talked about the Si as a cheap car that was viable in autocross. The rest is history.

It is small solis to know the truth, but we are collectively the flame keepers. We must be strong, we must preserve and spread The Word.

Scott

PS- I beg to differ about locking the pivot bearing in thecright trailing arm. Honda put that bearing in for a reason.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si
GRM, but back when they were called Auto-X is the biggest reason why I got a hatchback after my CRX was totaled. They ran an article about a 1g Civic project. That is a Civic that pulled 1g on the skidpad.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

meh. every kid that gets one of these and posts on honda tech that they wanna swap it and install coilovers i tell them to research how much of a pain it is to find parts and work on these cars.. inevitably a few weeks go by and the sell them. no one wants to "work" to modify a honda. that's why i love these cars.. 

1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
There's a lot of work that does go into it, and I've never really worked on any other platform... I think at this point in time it is pretty easy to get ahold of most parts, it simply knowing which parts... Cheddaj pretty much set us up for most suspension parts, heeltoe hooks us up with some competition level suspension, hasport made it possible for us to go bigger with b's and now D's... And then there's the collection of information from this site!!

So all i gotta say, if this generation civic is difficult to work on, then whatever car i decide to work on later in life should be a breeze...
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

David S. Wallens

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 2000 Honda Civic Si, 1984 Porsche 911, 1991 Nissan 240SX, 1992 Mazda Miata

As editor of Grassroots Motorsports, I figured I should chime in.

First, yes, we still love torsion bar Hondas. While I don't own one at the moment, I do have a set of (real) Mugen CF48s in the garage. One day I figure I'll put them to good use.

Now, the article. These Vintage Views articles are intended to introduce new people to the make and model. While we're familiar with these Hondas, sadly not everyone else is. So, call these articles a primer on the car--something that covers the basics and gets a new person up to speed. We also try to keep them tidy so as to be overwhelming. 

So, the article. Yes, it should have mentioned Red Pepper Racing--sorry about that. Like I said, we're fans of the cars and appreciate the work that you guys are doing. I'm sure you guys will get some kind of plug in the next issue. 

David S. Wallens, editorial director

Grassroots Motorsports

Classic Motorsports

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

OH SNAP!! 

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Nice work madkore! +1 member for RPR :)

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery

GRM, but back when they were called Auto-X is the biggest reason why I got a hatchback after my CRX was totaled. They ran an article about a 1g Civic project. That is a Civic that pulled 1g on the skidpad.

I have the promotional brochure of that article.  Honda distributed them to the dealers.

Red Civic Si with Mugen 21 mm sway bars and cut Wagon springs on Yokohama A008s.

MK

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

i will have to pickup this "GRM" magazine and see what all this "fluff" is about seeing as i'm the official "unofficial" resource on these cars by no ones nomination but my own.. 

Vicious

Lol I second that

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

http://www.redpepper...natic/album470/

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

My second email rant to GRM.  Glad to see they saw the error of their ways.

RPR is global. We have members all over the world. 

RPR members have been national champions, and were even featured in your magazine. 
RPR members road race, autocross, and drag race. 
RPR is small but active, and it's members will answer any question you post, and never ever talk down to you. That is not who we are. We are more than willing to help anyone. 
RPR members hold regular regional meets. 
RPR's Nor Cal meet is in July, and the So Cal meet is in August. New members are always welcomed with open arms. 
RPR has an extensive knowledge base with a highly informative Wiki that answers almost every possible question that anyone may have on modifying every single system and aspect of the 1984 - 1987 Honda CRXs and Civics. 
RPR has an extensive photo gallery with hundreds of photos of first generation CRXs.
RPR has hundreds of topics and posts detailing step by step the modifications that members have made to their cars. And many of these posts feature photos. 
RPR has 1984 - 1987 Honda CRX factory service manuals online. 
Everything you would ever want to know, every performance modification you could possibly think of, the answer to every question you could ever have about 1984 - 1987 Honda CRXs, is already on RPR. 
And all you had to do was look. 
I am very disappointed with GRM right now.

You're Mad!

Captain Jack Sparrow

kess

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: RPR member #40. 1987 CRX Si, 1988 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si/JRSC

...And RPR is not known to everyone on the $%^ planet.

Grassroots does the best they can within thie time constraints and personnel budgets it can. Cut 'em some slack!

When the Student is ready the Teacher appears...

David S. Wallens

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 2000 Honda Civic Si, 1984 Porsche 911, 1991 Nissan 240SX, 1992 Mazda Miata

Thanks for the support, kess. 

David S. Wallens, editorial director

Grassroots Motorsports

Classic Motorsports