←  General Posts

Red Pepper Racing

»

Honda Homelink Retrofit

k24 rd6's Photo k24 rd6 05 Jun 2011

I grabbed a homelink maplight out a first gen CL at the junkyard. I knew it wouldn't fit but it was only $5. I figured I could
mold it in somewhere. I wanted an easy to replace piece so I decided on the top of the steering column cover

It started out looking like this

It is held together at two melting spots on the back side. To get apart just grind the melting off

After it is disassembled it will look like this

The big square in the middle houses the homelink and needs to cut out.

To make it easier and smaller to deal with, the ribbon cable that connects the switches to main board is removed. Wires are soldered to extend the main board so it can be mounted far away

Since the main board will mounted far away the square housing is cut down to bare minimum

The cover needs to be cut out to flush the homelink trim piece. I Drilled out the cover since it quicker than cutting and filed smooth

Set the homelink trim piece in and glue it in

k24 rd6's Photo k24 rd6 05 Jun 2011

Take a mini da and sand smooth

The switch panel set in place

The main board mounted up and switch panel temporarily held in place until final paint. It will be glued in after paint is finished

Installed and programmed.

Now I just need to let it shrink up for a while before priming and painting

fat_85_civic's Photo fat_85_civic 05 Jun 2011

What is a homelink?

cburnscrx's Photo cburnscrx 05 Jun 2011

QUOTE (fat_85_civic @ Jun 5 2011, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is a homelink?

A built in garage door opener for all practical purposes.

For the record 98-02 Accords also have the homelink too.

I have a first gen CL and it was an option too. I also scored one at a Pic A Part for $3.

Lymitliss's Photo Lymitliss 05 Jun 2011

It can operate a garage door opener, home security systems, things like that. Most of the newer models have it.

calicoupe's Photo calicoupe 06 Jun 2011

awesome job Mr. P!

NWClassicHonda's Photo NWClassicHonda 06 Jun 2011

Cool idea.

SEEKERone's Photo SEEKERone 07 Jun 2011

be aware.... some cars have this built in the sunvisor. My 2000 Acura RL does and quite a few chryslers

cburnscrx's Photo cburnscrx 07 Jun 2011

QUOTE (SEEKERone @ Jun 7 2011, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
be aware.... some cars have this built in the sunvisor. My 2000 Acura RL does and quite a few chryslers

As does my wife's 06 Altima 3.5 SL.