86 Si Overheating...only At Night, Huh?

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

zoomster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRXSi
So my trusty '87 CRX Si started overheating one night while tooling around town so the next day I start the usual process. Coolant levels good, fan come on when the engine temp. gauge gets about halfway up, no leaks in hoses that I can see. The water pump and thermo were changed less than two years ago. At this point I started scratching my head.
I did notice that during the day, doing the same drive, that it stays nice and cool. Then I experiment by turning on my lights and sure enough the temp starts to creep up. OK, check the manual and the fan and the right headlight share a common ground, I check out the connections and run the engine at idle with the lights on just to see if some electrical gremlin keeps the fan from coming on with the lights on. I idle with the lights on, fan comes on. But, all the same that night she overheats again, wtf?? blink.gif
I am open to suggestions at this point, thanks in advance.

Kurt

user posted image

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
I'd start by taking off the ground point and cleaning it, just to be absolutely sure. But I'd suspect your gauge is getting a false signal, I've had mine pegged once, pulled over in a panic, open the hood, the rad ca/hoses/engine all still cool enough to hold on to.

If you have an infrared thermometer, carry it with you. Next time it reads hot, take some readings so you know what your engine temp actually is.

zoomster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRXSi
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Feb 4 2011, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd start by taking off the ground point and cleaning it, just to be absolutely sure. But I'd suspect your gauge is getting a false signal, I've had mine pegged once, pulled over in a panic, open the hood, the rad ca/hoses/engine all still cool enough to hold on to.

If you have an infrared thermometer, carry it with you. Next time it reads hot, take some readings so you know what your engine temp actually is.

Yeah, I wondereed if that was the case as well, good advice and I'll give it a try thanks!

Kurt
user posted image

ArnyBoy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 86 Si Straman #108 92 NSX sold:( 13 ILX 06 Honda Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
I wonder if your have some air pockets in your coolant, those can get behind your thermostat and cause you some havoc, also feel both of the hoses when it pegs if there both the same temp the coolant is flowin and the thermostat is open, one red hot and the other semihot thermostat defective, are they genuine honda thermostat and water pump? some aftermarkets open later or sooner depends on temp. do you have a coolant bucket to put over the radiator to thoroughly purge the cooling system, remember to run the heater when doing this, the heater core can house some air too! good luck

I pitty the fool...