How to get 140-175hp out of an 87 si motor

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

MaxValor

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
I want to stay the fuel injected route, dont want to get into the carb world as of yet.

Here is a list of things I have done so far, tell me whatelse you think I need to get to 140-175hp on the stock d15 (ew seriers) motor.

new headgasket, decked head (just enought to get it flat after a BHG) 3 angle valve job

gutted the whole a/c system and lines

new radiator and hoses of course

full synthetic oil

stripped the under hood of all non needed wire clips, plastic peaces, and windshield wiper equipment

hedman chykara torkstep header (basically a tri-y header)

from the header to the right hand side of the rear is all 2 1/4" straight pipe that dumps into a single supertrapp, which Iam currently running open pipe (yes its loud, but it hauls ass on the high end)

teg rear disc swap
full poly urethane bushings
91 si sawblades with some H rated BFG/ comp T/a's

no passenger seat while at the strip or auto x
no carpet
no noise reduction crap, that tar stuff is all gone its bare black metal under my feet and seats
no spare tire or jack, or rear cargo section currently
HF rear hatch, got rid of the si rear wiper

I have no header panel, so I took out my hood latch cause it didnt work, and put in a nice set of working hood pins

has a stage 2 upgraded clutch masters clutch, and a 9-10lb flywheel

Thats all thats done that I can think of.

I would guess I have @ the crank 100-106 hp I want 140-175 @ the crank

I dont want to pop the head just yet, just went through the trouble of fixing the BHG on it. But a better cam? Who makes one I need it, How hot of one should I get? Also I was thinking of a big bore throttle body, I have a spare, and I could port and polish, but that twin entry plate system sucks to do a homemade job on, I cant replace the plates myself if I bored that area out. So how much would I gain by the hottest cam that I should put in and  Big bore throttle body??? Also I know I need new injectors, or atleast some that are not as worn as mine. Would the Teg ecu help me at all with the stock injectors?

If you think of anything that I havent thought of please let me know.

Btw I ran this thing at the local 1/8 mile this is what I got
[email protected], is this good, ok or whatever for a 1gcr  with what I have or should I be quicker?

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks in Advance.
-Ben-
87 crx si

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'd stay injected, too.

So no going into the motor, hmmm.

Combined with the header and exhaust, a Webcam and 86-87 Teg ecu and injectors will get you about as close as you're gonna get without going into the motor. Also, you didn't mention any intake mods. Either mod the stock box and drop in a K&N, or get a cold air intake...
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

MaxValor

• Granny
  • Pip
DOh!

ok the intake is open, from the t.b with a screen to keep large objects out.

How close with the last suggested setup would I be, lower edn of 145hp? or probally less?

thx
-Ben-
-Ben-
87 crx si

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
A screen right on the TB? Move that chit down over behind the pass side headlight for colder air!

Oh, yeah, get a cam gear, too!

I'd say i/h/e, cam, cam gear, and teg stuff should get you ~125hp at the crank.

Posted Image

MaxValor

• Granny
  • Pip
Sounds Like a decent start, Where can I get the:

cam
camgear
teg ecu
teg injectors

and prices if possible

-Ben-
-Ben-
87 crx si

Bullet

• Official Moped Nitrous Tester
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '03 Evo VIII and a '79 Malibu
    • Image Gallery
Dude to get that kinda power you need to add the NOS to it, a nice 50-75 shot is worth it's weight in gold!! trust me on this, i was the king of NOS back in my day.  And as for people not saying NOS isn't safe, well they are a bunch of liars who abuse it and try different combo's that won't work.  you gotta stick with there recommendations.  just my .02

Bullet
-Scotty O
'03 Evo VIII Apex Silver
Mods- Yes ;+)

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Mr. Bullit, Sir, Man, Dude, King of NAWS,

How is it then that I have ~150 hp out of my motor and it doesn't have NAWS? tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Cam gear: AEM $120 usd
Cam: www.webcaminc.com or www.gude.com, ~$200 usd
Teg stuff at the local pick&pull or throw a post up in Wanted classifieds, I think I just saw somewthing about an 87 in a yard in a diff thread...

Posted Image

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I can get you a Fidanza cam gear for about $125 CDN. Thats about $80 US, give or take. I also happen to have a set of 87 teg injectors. I have an ECU, but I need to keep it. I have an 87 teg auto ECU...
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Bullet

• Official Moped Nitrous Tester
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '03 Evo VIII and a '79 Malibu
    • Image Gallery
HEY MR. Fancake/Pres./sir/madam/etc.....

you must have stole my ideas before the NOS install then ....lol biggrin.gif
-Scotty O
'03 Evo VIII Apex Silver
Mods- Yes ;+)

Krispy

• Shiggity
  • PipPipPip
dood, your not going to get that kinda power with those mods.

Heres my package,

Gude Bullfrog Cam
P&P
Aftermarket header(not sure what kind)
cold air intake
no catyltic converter, 2" exhust
Jacobs Ingnition and wires
AEM Cam Gear

It's making more power then the car had when it was a DX but it's still not even close to want i was hoping for.  I was hoping to get 110-125hp.   I think i'm really only getting 95-100hp.  Currently i'm running the timing at OE settings becuase i still haven't passed my emmisions,  however i think my new oxygen sensor will help since the old one didn't put any voltage out when doing the dionostic testes on it.  I think the most your gonna get outta then engine without doing the bottom end and revving it to 10,000rpm while remaining Fuel injected would be 130hp.   Once i pass emmissions i'll get on the dyno and do some tuning.  Hopefully by the end of the weak.............. PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!!!!  :)

Course,  turbos will net you in the 200hp range........
------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Stefan was once told that he might be faster if not for his flamboyant sideways style, he replied "one is not always trying to make babies when having sex!"

Krispy

• Shiggity
  • PipPipPip
PS,  

The stock 87 SI will do 0-60mph in 8.5 secs,  if your at 10 secs when going 65mph then i really don't think you are 100hp.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Stefan was once told that he might be faster if not for his flamboyant sideways style, he replied "one is not always trying to make babies when having sex!"

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I beg to differ, but everybody has an opinion. Without a dyno run it's all speculation anyway... I just made an estimate, that I personally think is fairly accurate.

So you converted your DX to an Si, Krispy?

Posted Image

MaxValor

• Granny
  • Pip
Well seems like Im not getting help, adn people are fighting inside my thread. WTF? HELP!!!!

Ok Ill try again.  I want to get as much hp as I can out of my 87si motor. (That better?)

What cam is the best for me to get, not having a p+p, and better pistons, etc. Im going to make a custom cai, dont think it will help. My exhaust is tweaked as much as it can be, and so is the header. BTW who makes the largest 1st gen header?? Ok Ive heard mixed things on this teg parts setup. So I want to hear only the people who are currently using it.

Whats the best combo with my setup, injectors, ecu, or just one or the other, etc.

I understand what a cam gear does, (gives ya the ability to change the cam timing) but im not totally sure on how this is going to make my car more powerful???

Anything else?
-Ben-
87 crx si

MaxValor

• Granny
  • Pip
Also by the way, if my 1/8 mile time is 10.5, that does NOT mean it took me that long to get going to 65mph, that is a trap speed which is taken not at the end of the track but rather in a diffent are. I forget exactly, but this has been explained.

bleh.
-Ben-
87 crx si

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
As far as cam goes, does the car see much street use, or i it mostly a track car? Gude #HCCS02 makes power from 3500-7000 and has a decent idle, Gude HCCS04 makes more power from 4500-7600, but the idle is not so good.

The Webcam site is not working for me lately, so I can't tell ya the exact number, but the specs were similar to Gudes.

With i/h/e and the HCCS02, my 86 Si ripped, when I added the 86 Teg ecu and it was VERY noticable, the last piece of the power puzzle it seemed. When I put the injectors in a week later, it was noticable, but not quite as much as whe I put the ecu in. I wish I had numbers far ya, but that was 8 years ago...

On an sohc motor, you can prolly gain a max of 5 hp, but the really cool thing about hte cam gear is you can tune where you want your power. Advance the cam gear to gain midrange power, retard it to get top end power. This is the opposite of ignition timing, where advancing ign timing gives top end power, adn retarding it gives more midrange.

I believe DC has the biggest primarys, with a 2 inch collector.

HTH

Posted Image