Rim And Tire Issue Help Help Needed

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

macguyver

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
hi all

Ok here the story I just bought some miata rims and I know the center bore is the issue, that it has to be enlarge. When you guys say the center bore has to be enlarge are you guys talking about milling out 2 mill all the way through the other side or just the inside part? Right now if i look inside my wheel its going to look like a U . Do I enlarge the whole thing so it looks like a l l a big pipe?

Also what wheels do you suggest if I want the best bang for my buck without going to the bank, that will last a for awhile, so none of this softer than a baby bottom tires!

thanks in advance guys

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
miata rims are hubsentric. so the inside of the center ring needs to be opened up (preferrebly wiht a die grinder or similar tool)

Tire choices are pretty much open. People boast alot about Falken's
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

phatboycrxhf

• legend in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx ,98 malibu ,90 hatch,87 hatch trailer,87 legend,95 dodge neon,90 civic sedan SE
    • Image Gallery
exactly what badpenny said but here is a pic just to make sure you know what he is saying even though he explained it pretty good laugh.gif tongue.gif

grind the red to make the inside bigger

Edited by phatboycrxhf, 05 July 2006 - 03:48 AM.

My Webpage
(quote by RareCrx)HAVE A MADD TYTE DIGGITY DOGG ,BUBBLES SPRAYIN ON THE INTERCOOLER, poopin ON A 8 SECOND CHEVELLE WITH MY MINI-ME SWAP DAY..

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (macguyver @ Jun 20 2006, 04:17 PM)
Ok here the story I just bought some  miata rims and I know the center bore is the issue, that it has to be enlarge.  When you guys say the center bore has to be enlarge are you guys talking about milling out 2 mill all the way through the other side or just the inside part?  Right  now if i look inside my wheel its going to look like a U .  Do I enlarge the whole thing so it looks like a  l l  a big pipe? 

I found a machine shop that had a lathe large enough to mount the 14" miata rim...I had the entire bore enlarged from the Mazda 54.1 mm diameter to the Honda's 56.1 mm dimension ($100 for all four wheel bores enlarged).

'99 Miata 14x6 wheels: 12.5 lbs/ea...$80 for all four off of craigslist.

I found these tires on www.edgeracing.com :

The size yields a small rolling diameter: 20.9" (0.84" smaller in diameter than the 185 60-13 tires they replaced)...which is great for ax gearing and they're also very light: 15 lbs/tire, which makes for a light tire/wheel combo: ~27.5 lbs/ea.

Yes, both the miata and civic wheels are hubcentric, I wanted to preserve that important feature, so, I wanted the bore diameter to be precise, hence the lathe job rather than a 'hand job'... ohmy.gif wink.gif

lilneedle

• Mcguyver's long lost son...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic 1300 With complete brown top teg convo...
    • Image Gallery
lookin good man...what year are those off>?????
FORSALE$700BUX...
86 1300 3G With Teg conversion...DOHC BABY!!!

SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration-member.

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (lilneedle @ Jul 5 2006, 08:31 AM)
lookin good man...what year are those off>?????

^^^
"...'99 Miata 14x6 wheels: 12.5 lbs/ea...$80 for all four off of craigslist."

'99 = 1999 wink.gif

Edited by kakabox, 05 July 2006 - 11:06 AM.