• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

AlexCine7d

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX, 2003 Chevy Silverado ext
So I'm looking to rebuild and swap an HF tranny into my 85 DX

I called a local salvage yard and the guy said he had two HF trannies, unfortunately he said his documentation says that ones from a 1.3 and the other is a 1.5... Which isn't an HF.. I'm worried about buying a tranny and getting it home and it being a DX or Si, as I'm buying the HF simply for fuel economy savings.

Is there a cheat sheet to decoding transmission numbers?

Also I read there's 4mt in some cars, i wasnt aware that excisted, so I'm worried about getting that accidentally also.

Also is there a chart with the ratios depending on the year? I thought they changed slightly over the years.

And I'm assuming the HF tranny should only right up to the DX (ew1) is that right?

Also the salvage yard wants 300.00 for the tranny and I'm planning on spending that if it works out, so if anyone's got a true HF that they can ship to Phoenix for cheaper, pm me

Check out my project car- http://www.redpepper...showtopic=54060

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the HFs didn't come with a 1.5 engine but FWIW, all of the HFs designated models had 1.5 liter engines. The 1.3 liter (in the CRX model anyway) never had the HF designation and were only sold in the 1984 model year in the US. The HF came out in 1985 and they all had 1.5 liter engines.

I used to own a '84 1.3 liter and they had similar gear ratios to the 85 & later 1.5s. Not to mention the HFs came with three different final drive ratios, depending on where they were originally sold. 49 state model, 2.95:1; High altitude model, 4.06:1; and the California model, 3.55:1.

There is no way to tell what you're getting from the outside of these transmissions either. Trust me, I've been trying to find a definitive way of identifying them for almost 30 years now to no avail. Best way to find out what's in 'em is to take them apart.

Also, yes, both the 1.3 and the HF gearboxes will bolt up to your EW engine.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

AlexCine7d

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The guy a the salvage yard is the one that told me the 1.5 wasn't an HF.

I doubt they are gonna let me take one apart

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
You can tell if a random tranny is from an HF by putting your DX trans in 5th and counting how many rotations the output collar makes when you rotate the input shaft 10 times (or some other arbitrary number), record this number and do the same test on the junkyard transmission before you buy it to make sure that the output turns substantially farther than your DX output collar for the same number of revolutions. Keep in mind that if you do this while your trans is in the car and only one wheel is jacked up, you will get twice as many revolutions as you would if both wheels were spinning freely.

Edited by Bubba, 16 January 2013 - 07:39 PM.

AlexCine7d

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks bubba! I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking for it! I'm thinking now that I'm just gonna have to bring my tools to the yard and ask them if its okay to crack it open and count the gears. As well as I'd like to inspect them to make sure I'm not buying a paperweight

jimfj

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF

I have an HF tranny out of my 87.  I might be interested in selling it.  816-935-7671  jim