87 Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

CRX 06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Im looking around for a 87 Si shell soo i can see about getting ls vtec hooked up.... I want to do a B18a/b block with a GSR head and hook up ls vtec, but i want to know what the ppl on here think about it. I am getting an Accord soon so i wont have to worry about how long this swap will take. Please give your opinions on this

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
do your research on the B series swap before you go buying parts. it is a pretty expensive swap to do. and not so easy either but well worth it when finished. search this site for info, its there, you wont find more 1g crx 3g civic info anywhere else. good luck.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

CRX 06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yeah thanks, my friend had told me to do it cuz most ppl dont fix up the 1st gen like that. I have found the mounts from hasport soo i have mounts for it if i decide to do ls vtec. My crx will just be sitting in my backyard til i get enuff money to do this swap. I want to just run stock ls vtec on there for a while and if it runs good to keep builing it up. But yeah im only 16 and dont have this planned to be done completely til at least next summer soo thats like a whole year. In your all's opinions do you think the swap is a good idea and would be worth it?

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
do i think that this swap is a good idea? yes, can make a very quick car with great power to weight ratio

do i think it is a good idea for you personally to do the swap? dont take it personally but no. a 1700 pound car with 140+ hp should be left in the hands of a mature, more experienced driver in my opinion. once again, not saying you are not mature, just that you are 16 and dont have much experience driving yet. i have seen it many times. kid gets license, parents hand down the civic commuter car, kid drops turbo or built motor in car (most likely with parents money), next thing you know the kid crashed the car because he/she couldnt handle the car because of lack of experience driving and not knowing what the car is and is not capable of.

im not telling you not to do it, im just saying that it might be a better idea to get a few years experience driving before trying to tackle such a potent car. either way, good luck and be careful.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Good idea? Hell ya. It would be a HUGE learning experience. Make sure you get an Si shell (as you mentioned), so you don't have to convert it to fuel injection.

Also try to find a reprint of a Helm's manual (on ebay), this book will be your bible.
All torque specs and step by step instructions.

Other places to read up on LS/Vtec would be Honda-tech.com, not to steer you away from here, but I know it's rare in a 1G - only a few onhere are enduring it or have it completed. (NJMugenCRX??)

Good luck dude, keep us posted.

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crxls @ Jul 21 2004, 09:31 PM)
do i think that this swap is a good idea? yes, can make a very quick car with great power to weight ratio

do i think it is a good idea for you personally to do the swap? dont take it personally but no. a 1700 pound car with 140+ hp should be left in the hands of a mature, more experienced driver in my opinion. once again, not saying you are not mature, just that you are 16 and dont have much experience driving yet. i have seen it many times. kid gets license, parents hand down the civic commuter car, kid drops turbo or built motor in car (most likely with parents money), next thing you know the kid crashed the car because he/she couldnt handle the car because of lack of experience driving and not knowing what the car is and is not capable of.

im not telling you not to do it, im just saying that it might be a better idea to get a few years experience driving before trying to tackle such a potent car. either way, good luck and be careful.

listen to him man he is so right. this happened the other day to 2 of my friends, one of them had a civic, then fixed it up put a new engine and then decided to test it out on the street, wasn't a great idea. check out this post i made.
Street Racing
so whatever you decide to do make sure to be careful. and im right there with you, im only 16 had my rex since january and i have the dreams of one day doin the same exact thing as you. just take your time, stay safe, wait until your ready, and never put anyones life at risk, even your own.
the first post on the second page of the street racing topic is where you can go to see the newspapper article. its under wednesday 14,2004.

Edited by DSK 86CRX, 21 July 2004 - 10:12 PM.

85CRXSIn00b

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
*raises hand* I know I'm new here
one of my buddies in the car club I used to belong to was doing 110mph and drove right off a bridge, completely totaled the car and himself he was 16 yrs old, and just was given a nice RSX from mommie....brand new.... right off the lot......

So his mom gets him a 97 Eclipse GS-T I think it was, he flipped that..... that was about the time I moved away from that area of the US though so who knows he's prolly dead by now

CRX 06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yah i appreciate all the opinions, ive been 16 since february and have been driving cars it seems like for 2 years now always having to be the dd and not have the liscence and by the time i want this swap to be done it will be almost next summer soo i might be ready by then, some1 told me to do the B16A swap or if i wanted to save up 5k and buy the B16B swap and do that. So many options to do just dont know how long this will take. Ive looked on honda tech first for ls vtec and they told me to come here soo i did. but still hit me up with any opinions....

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (CRX 06 @ Jul 22 2004, 02:09 AM)
Yah i appreciate all the opinions, ive been 16 since february and have been driving cars it seems like for 2 years now always having to be the dd and not have the liscence and by the time i want this swap to be done it will be almost next summer soo i might be ready by then, some1 told me to do the B16A swap or if i wanted to save up 5k and buy the B16B swap and do that. So many options to do just dont know how long this will take. Ive looked on honda tech first for ls vtec and they told me to come here soo i did. but still hit me up with any opinions....

The B16A, B16B and LS/VTEC would all cost about 5k to do, just so you know. And I wouldn't go LS VTEC, personally.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

CRX 06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I think by the time i would get ls vtec done it would be well worth it, but the b16b would be nice too. Ive been on honda-tech and they told me to come here so i did. ls vtec will be difficult and challenging. I would like to know from anyone which would you do, ls vtec or the b16b?? add any opinions you want . thanks

xThexHeadx

• rpr member
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: ------->
Poor man's Type-R instead of LSVTEC.

peace of mind.
1990 Honda Civic Wagon RT4WD
2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800

1992 Dodge Power Ram 250, Cummins Turbo Diesel (350/800) Tow/Haul

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The LS bottom end is the worst choice for VTEC, IMNSHO. It's just not designed for it. However, if you built up an LS bottom end, then I could see it, but why? Just get a GSR engine and be done with it.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

CRX 06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
thanks guys for all your opinions on this ive, finally decided to just buy the GSR motor and build it a lil bit..... But i am wondering about the small engine bay and if any forced induction will fit. I would rather do turbo then anything but if i a turbo wont work id go nitrous i really dont like superchargers.. Soo hit me up with your opinions

f22_crx

• Granny
  • Pip
I think LS/VTEC is a great idea nowdays. With all the new products coming out to the market, its so much easier to complete a realiable setup. All you have to do is throw in some b18c rods into the ls block, and its reliable enough for the high revving beast. I've never seen a supercharged setup, but I do think that would be pretty cool. I'd stay away from nitrous unless you know what you are doing. A lot of people nowdays are running reliable turbo ls/vtec also. Your best bet is to get a b20 block and go from there. stay away from the b16b.

87lsvtec

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 si ls/vtec equipped
hey, i have some input on the ls/vtec 1st gen, since i own one my self and all. Ls/vtec is a sinch there aint nothin to it. They even have kits forsale now to were the is no need to modify your head or drill a whole in your block for an oil line. Ive been running this set up going one a year now and have had no problem. I used b18b block and stock b16 head. I have a gsr bottom end, oil and water pump and i went a head and got a hondata ecu. My best run i ran at kcir (our local dragstrip in kansas city missouri) was a 13.1 on streat tires and basic bolt on's..I/H/E So hopefully those numbers are some inspireation on going ls/vtec after all