Dohc Turbo?

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

turbo_crx_si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Honda CRX si
Currently i have a SOHC si motor turbocharged and i want to go for a DOHC (ZC) and turbo charge that so i can put low compression pistons in it and build the motor so i can hold at least 10-17 psi of boost. I find it hard to get parts for my stock motor. Has anyone ever donee this before (meaning DOHC-turbo in a 87 crx) because i wanna know if i would have to do a radiator relocation so the turbo will fit nicely or can i leave the radiator where its at.

OH and can u guys show me a site or someplace with info on the whole ZC swap.
Thanx for the help people

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
If your lookin to go with THAT much boost I would at least try to find a black top ZC that came from teh 1st gen tegs... its electronic advanced and you would have to convert the car to that with wiring changes(al though I think a harness CAN be bought from HASport)

I would recomend it due to new software from TurboEdit(guy took over sorta for Ghettodyne) and also ZDyne.

ZDyne is the #1 choice for a packaged ECU that works with boost.

Personally I want to go with a b20 or b18 to boost with ODB1 and Either Hondata or the free Uberdata...

The ZC is a straight forward shot, same as the d16a1 swap... there is a guide over at Hybrid honda or something... that and countless ppl have done the swap here.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

crx_86dx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 honda crx dx
theres a site what a guy did this i will get the addrs but he did not have to me his radiator

wilq

• where am I and how did I get in this handbasket?
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si b18a1 turbo(under restoration),87 crx hf dohc turbo,86 crx dx dohc,91 integra ls,76 Ford F350 4x4,04 Subaru WRX STI
    • Image Gallery
Heres a pix of my 87 si dohc turbo.The engines a 87 d16a1 w/a greddy kit on it.This engine now resides in my 87 hf w/ pgm-fi conversion.Its been turbo for 35k miles and about 5 years with no problems.There are more pixs in my gallery.

old crxs never die they just get faster
The offical Chrisfdude ebay sniper club member &Team BUrnOUt member #2

turbo_crx_si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Does ur turbo rub up against the radiator? And does the motor drop perfectly into the car without having to deal with custom motor mouts and stuff

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
I can't answer the radiator clearance question, but yes, any 86-89 Integra DOHC D16A1 bolts right into the 84-87 Civic/CRX chassis. Judging by the clearance I had with the stock header to the radiator, a turbo would be tight. There's more than one DOHC turbo 1G CRX out there though...I've seen a few running the newer Civic 1/2 radiators which leaves gobs of room for a turbo and large radius manifold.

wilq

• PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si b18a1 turbo(under restoration),87 crx hf dohc turbo,86 crx dx dohc,91 integra ls,76 Ford F350 4x4,04 Subaru WRX STI
    • Image Gallery
Radiator clearance is very tight.I`ve used both styles of 1st gen radiators.The full width si will fit if you shim the top mounts back about 3/4 of an inch.The hf/4spd rad fits without any mods.The si rad cools alittle better on the highway during long trips.The stock cooling fan will not fit w/ a turbo setup.I currently run a frontmount pusher fan on the hf rad.While the car isn`t moving i have to run the heater the keep the engine temp down.This is a small price to pay to have a dohc turbo 1st gen.I `ve made 3 trip to niagra meets with this setup at 9hrs each way an no problems.

instigatorcrx

• Turbo Junkie...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX
Get the 96 civic radiator... Half width much better cooling... That's what I plan on doing...

wilq

• PipPip
    • Image Gallery
It won`t fit 92 and new radiators have the filler neck on the top of the tank.THe 84-87 rad has the filler neck mounted on a 90 degree nipple off the back side of the upper tank to clear the upper rad support.

b16a87civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic si 1996 honda civic hb
    • Image Gallery
i just put a turbo on my b16 in my 87 civic hb. i used the half size radiator and had a radiator shop put a double row core in it. the car doesnt run hot at all. ill try and post pictures soon.

turbo_crx_si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
THats what i was planning to do n/e wayz, or get one of them racing radiators but i didnt wanna sspendd a lot of money on onee.

wilq

• PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Here are some more newer pixs of my turbo 87 dohc hf radiator.The rad is out of an 87 crx hf and has an aftermarket electric fan.

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Will's car is really fast - I still dream about that 5 minute joyride I got to experience last summer.

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

katulu

• On Fire
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2008 Chevy Cobalt/2001 Chrysler Town and Country
    • Image Gallery
I believe it's a del sol radiator that is a half-width, gives you plenty of room for a turbo,

sonny from crx.honda-perf.org did a nice build up, it's not done yet, but he's got a GREAT website

http://www.muller.net/sonny/crx/
play me loud, just don't blow me