Hi I Got A Question On The Front Shock Covers Surrounds

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

Lets.Race87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Si (hatch)(ClassA)

i remember reading somewhere i think fb but when you replaced the front shocks you have to put the covers back on to the shock so u wont blow them but being new to these cars i threw them out  :(do i they really need them? or should i just run bump stops? & do running top hats change anything

found these but is that a good price? :huh:  http://www.ebay.com/...c05b398&vxp=mtr

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage
The cover helps prevent dirt and debris from possibly getting in around the seal causing the shock to leak. You should also run the bump stop to. What top hats are you referring?
That prices seems high to me. You should be able to find new ones thru rock auto or a local parts store.

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
You need them because the large washer on the very top prevents the strut shank from ripping right through the strut mount.
Anyone else vouch for this, it's been while since I seen a torn strut mount.

Lets.Race87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Si (hatch)(ClassA)

i checked rockauto for the strut boots and there a very good deal since they came with bump stops included but they didnt have a big washer like the oem dust boots
but i dont think am gona need them since the top hats came big washers so the strut wouldn't go all the way threw like Richardocoto said. thanks for you're  guys help

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
The "top hat" must have a washer below and above it on the strut shaft. The rubber WILL rip out without washers on both sides. I assume the bottom one carries the most weight and have seen pix here of the aftermath of not running washers