My Wife's Civic

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

sxysweed

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
Hi, my name's Ben. I drive a 2G CRX and am fairly active on the other CRX forum (CRX Community). I almost always refer 1G people over to this place and come here looking for info on the 84-87 cars. Anyways, my wife found this car on Craigslist yesterday for $1200, went and looked it over, talked to the owner, and talked him down to $900. Went and got the car this evening. I checked the vin, fairly sure it's a HF.

No big plans right now. Gonna flush the fluids and maybe do a tune up (car runs GOOD as it is, runs better than my rex) and get it registered, teach her to drive stick, and just enjoy the car. Long term plans involve the typical wheels/tires/suspension/possible swap.

White car in the picture is my CRX, red car is obviously the wife's car. Picture was taken yesterday when we looked at it, I'll get more pictures this next week when I dig into it.

Posted Image

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
The HF never came in the hatches. From the looks of it not having side moldings and no passenger side mirror its should have a 1.3L and a 4 speed.

Over all the car looks very clean. :)
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit

The HF never came in the hatches. From the looks of it not having side moldings and no passenger side mirror its should have a 1.3L and a 4 speed.

Over all the car looks very clean. :)

I agree. The wheels look "right" for a 1.3. I used to own an '85 1.3 model Civic. The other things I remember include the lack of a clock (though the wires are behind the blanking plate), no cigarette lighter, and a single fold-down rear seatback.

Good find.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si
Hey Swede RPR is one of my internet stops that I check daily. That is the same car my wife had too. It's not technically an "HF" but more like a base trim, her's had nothing in it except for a/c. I want to say that it only had 2 position wipers (hi &lo) and no rear wiper, but it was a long time ago so I don't remember.

sxysweed

• Granny
  • Pip
Car has some rust on the hatch/roof, little bit on the firewall, and a bit under the rear side glass. Hazards don't work (horn works; time to buy a new DVOM and trouble shoot). Might wire in a cigarette lighter (charge cellphone = useful).....

And it won't idle when cold... I don't know when/how to use the choke, I'm a carb noob. It also bogs down when the AC is on, while idling (even warm). Does that sound like a idle-too-low problem, choke problem, or me just not knowing how to work a car with a carb?

AC isn't blowing quite cold. Not sure if the condensor fan comes on, but does anyone know what the charge pressure should be stuck and at idle, of the top of their head? Otherwise I'll just look it up when I have time.

I could have sworn there was something else that needed to be fixed....

Asian, I'll be stopping by here as much as I can. But between my new job, fixing my clutch, and sleeping, I barely have enough time in the day to do my rounds on the 'community.

Edited by sxysweed, 25 October 2012 - 09:46 PM.

Smokescreem

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI ,2004 CRV EX, 1968 VW BUG, 1955 Porsche Speedster replica
    Garage View Garage
Nice find.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
You need to look into a devac to help with some of your carb problems
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hazards not working is likely due small White/Green wire with 10A fuse not being connected at the battery's (+) post. Is a normal problem as the wires age and batteries get replaced.

As for the AC bogging the engine, make sure the vacuum actuated idle up part is working at set properly at the carb. It it is not working see if vacuum is getting to it when the solenoid for it has power.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
I could be wrong, but I *think* the wires for the cigarette lighter are already there. It has been quite awhile since I owned my 4-speed Civic.

Unless your wife's car is from Canada, there isn't a manual Choke to pull. It's automatic (give or take).

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The bogging issue can be traced thru the vac lines to the tiny plastic piece located by the brake reservior. inside that plastic cap is a rubber piece with a paper diaphram. they brake. solution? tape it up. A small piece of tape over the rubber, and make sure it has no cracks in the post.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Is the hood and left fender black on this car? I saw a burgundy, no rear wiper hatch going south on 17, or 31, near Myrtle Beach today. Hood looked like it didn't close right as I think I see in this pic you posted.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

sxysweed

• Granny
  • Pip

Whole car is red. I haven't left South Florida once (only ventured out of Broward County like once... lol).  ^_^

Still haven't fixed any of the idle issues, the hazards, or any of that. Guess I'm lazy. Lol.

But I did replace the rear brakes (wheel cylinders started leaking ALOT). Took me something like three hours (god, I hate drum brakes)... They have this strange policy at work where they don't want employees buying from competitors, so they price match -anyone- for non-special order parts. So I paid something like $60 for new wheel cylinder, shoes, hardware, and drums. :D Car has a pedal and the shoes/drums (ProStop) brand have held up fine the last 7k miles.

Then I did tires, Cornell 1000's from Pep Boys. Paid like $200 for the set of four. They suck horribly in rain (they break loose rolling on the throttle from a stand still), but they do okay for cheap tires when pushing the car (suspension limited... Shocks are blown). But they have tread, where cheap, and are better than used tires. I would not recommend them by any means though. 

Had a fun time trying to front brakes on this car. Wasn't crazy about cutting the front rotors (didn't measure them, but they looked too tiny). Couldn't find any rotors locally (all of them where vented/too wide, but then I read on here that CRX front brakes bolt up... Well, I just happen to have a 2G CRX and lots of parts hoarded. Cut a spare set of rotors (need to replace them, still get some vibration) and threw on a set of spare NIB calipers and Hawk HPS pads. The pads are good, suck the first few miles but get better. They grip good and the car stops fast, but they are not the grippiest pads I've driven. Either way, the brake upgrade cost me $5 for fluid. 

972131_10151612424250939_1485407897_n.jp

1584_10151612422675939_1827146023_n.jpg

1001649_10151612115360939_1374039846_n.j

5903_10151612420765939_129171886_n.jpg

I'm considering a D15(B2) swap since I happen to have a engine/trans sitting around that's waiting to go together... How hard is the swap? I've considered making it a carbed engine when/if i drop it in. I'm not concerned about wiring, more concerned about putting it in the chassis... Hmmm...

Edited by sxysweed, 26 June 2013 - 09:02 PM.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

That trans won't work, where the rear trans mount is is actually centered over the Diff, not between the engine and the trans like the 92-00 hydro trans. You can swap it in with fabbing, but I would recommend the easy route and get a 86-89 integra trans then you can use those mounts and then just mod a EW mount for the motor mount. Otherwise go hydro with a lever conversion for clutch cable and get the hasport AFD2 kit. Trust me, I would love to use the 88-91 trans, especially the DOHC ZC trans. Oh, and if your going through all the work to put that motor in might as well make it MPFI, makes future swaps easier, you can tune it and turbo it, and nobody wants to buy a car that has DPFI swapped in it, especially since they don't make the TPS anymore. Hope you do it though, gotta love the D series! I doing a Z1 swap.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Been doing some thinking on this, or actually my car anyway that ties to this, you can find the D16Y7 complete intake for dirt cheap on ebay, think I saw one on there for $19 plus shipping. Includes TB, fuel rail, all sensors, ect, ect, ect.....That's waaaay, waaaay cheaper than the junkyard where they nickel and dime you to death. Most people ditch the Y7 intake, like the B2 intake, for the Y8 or it's OBD design equivalent. The Y7 has the TB in the same position as your D15B2 so you should be able to use the same TB cable provided it has the right end for your gas pedal. You might be able to use the B2 air tube and TB cover that sits on top of the TB. You will also have to use the OBD2 wire plugs. The plus side to using this intake is the TPS rotates clockwise, not counter clockwise like the DPFI so the TPS is replacable, it's MPFI so better mpg's in the city, and best of all it's a cheap MPFI set up. I need to go MPFI before my 89's TPS takes a crap but I don't want anything that's going to attract attention and I believe this meets my needs perfectly. I have a PS9 and might do the "1 wire Vtec" but run that wire to a relay that will turn on a Hydroxy booster. Supposedly the booster improves fuel economy by 20% or more, then I can change the fuel map to run on 20% less fuel after 2,000 rpms, when the hydroxy booster kicks in.

sxysweed

• Granny
  • Pip

I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the D15 carbed, using either dual Webers or some bike carbs. That way I don't have to worry about converting to MPFI and all that crap. As far as the distributor, I am fairly sure you can just run resistors in place of the injectors and get TurboEdit (OBD0) to run the distributor side... Either way, a mild D15 would be great fun in this car... 

I've been doing some digging and the D16A1 trans should bolt up on 4/5 holes to the block.. And my D15 block might be tapped for the intermediate shaft already, I'll have to check when I have time. Coming up with one mount won't be that hard if I do that, but I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be to find a good D16A1 trans that doesn't need a rebuild vs. sourcing a 92+ trans and doing the hydro/hasport conversion....

But the passenger side hatch hinge is gone now. Rusted completely through both the top and bottom of the roof... I can have it welded up and the roof painted but will probably spend $500+ on that or I can have the roof welded up and find a different mounting solution for the hatchy. But I also need to get the CRX running and I recently bought a $$$ toolbox I need to pay off.

The car is really fun to drive though, and since I've had good luck chasing down different oil/gas leaks (and I recently did the timing belt), I plan on keeping this turd for a while...

One mod I know I'll be doing sometime in the next few months is a proper HID retrofit, cause uh, the stock headlights blow. I'll be taking the projectors from my CRX project and moving them over and fabbing up some headlight lenses. Here's a beam shot from when I had them on my CRX. 

tumblr_m5yareCs4V1qgn7ypo1_1280.jpg

Edited by sxysweed, 10 September 2013 - 11:33 PM.