1st Gen Tails

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

andrew87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '98 windstar p.o.s. working on '87 crx
Are their any other model cars whose tail lights are close enough to the 1st gen crx to fit with mods?
"To seek wisdom is wise, to think you are wise is foolish."

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
not that i know of
you can to some body wort to fit others in but i dont see how it would be worth it

i plan on replacing my bulbs with bright led's and tinting them black
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

andrew87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Actually, if I can't find any clear tails to match up, I am working on replacing the lens with a custom fiberglass/lexan piece and using LEDs like you see on caddies.

andrew87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Automobile LEDs
Thought this might interest you.

andrew87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
http://www.wooddashexperts.com
Would this fit a first gen with some minor mods.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
NO

aquarius

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 85 honda crx
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Aug 31 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO

aatually they will not a direct bolt on but you can with some modification here is a link to a guy who did second gen headlights and tail lights and some other stuff
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2328936

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (andrew87crx @ Aug 31 2008, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, if I can't find any clear tails to match up, I am working on replacing the lens with a custom fiberglass/lexan piece and using LEDs like you see on caddies.

Depending what Caddie you are looking at. Their system has a complex little box that controls them. The best rear lights on Caddies are the ones that light up as one complete light. I forget the model. I don't care for the ones where you see each LED bulb. LED's are not just connect up and go. Each LED requires a particular and constant amount of power for them to operate correctly. There is some off the shelf stuff you can buy that would fit behind your own custom lens. You will have to do a lot of research to find what you want. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (andrew87crx @ Aug 31 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.wooddashexperts.com
Would this fit a first gen with some minor mods.

It has been done several times... but I don't know if I could call it "minor mods" The lights are shorter than ours, the mounts/openings are completely different, and IIR the center filler is wider. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to go to a yard and cut the light section off a 2G and fit/weld it in. But then you are still left to figure out what to do about the wider center.

watzizzname

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 3gen w/ D16A1, '87 Dodge Dakota, '02 OZ-Rally edition Lancer
    • Image Gallery
i found my way into an extra set of tail lights for my 3gen that had seen better days (they were cracked and weathered pretty hard). I've been messing around with the idea of taking apart the housing taking molds of the lenses and making new clear ones from the molds. Then with a little imagination, some nifty paint work, and some new lights, they should look somewhat similar to the 2gen crx lights you're looking at.

Maybe an option for you... I don't know... just thought I'd share.
"Wait just a damn minute. Just because you're confused, it doesn't mean that I'm wrong!"

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
QUOTE (watzizzname @ Sep 2 2008, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i found my way into an extra set of tail lights for my 3gen that had seen better days (they were cracked and weathered pretty hard). I've been messing around with the idea of taking apart the housing taking molds of the lenses and making new clear ones from the molds. Then with a little imagination, some nifty paint work, and some new lights, they should look somewhat similar to the 2gen crx lights you're looking at.

Maybe an option for you... I don't know... just thought I'd share.

alteza's are to ricey to me
if you're going to do threw the effort it might look better to make a deferent shaped light like round gt-r lights
one guy on here put in teg lights that were spring loaded and concealed the fuel filler neck behind them.
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

watzizzname

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 3gen w/ D16A1, '87 Dodge Dakota, '02 OZ-Rally edition Lancer
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (84b18 @ Sep 2 2008, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alteza's are to ricey to me
if you're going to do threw the effort it might look better to make a deferent shaped light like round gt-r lights
one guy on here put in teg lights that were spring loaded and concealed the fuel filler neck behind them.

I'm not really going for the alteza look, per se... but it may turn out somewhat similar. I like the idea of spring loaded lights concealing a filler. im not sure what I think about round lights on our boxy cars. Could be cool though. Like I said, just an idea I had.
"Wait just a damn minute. Just because you're confused, it doesn't mean that I'm wrong!"

andrew87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I got the lens off of one light. I practiced bending a scrap piece of plexi and it turned out nice. I plan on replacing the entire lens with the plexi, and paint the bordr between sections black, and use sime nice ss hex pan head screws counter sunk into the plexi to hold it together. I'll post some pic if/when I get it together.

ChrisF-dude