Buying Tools/parts From Russia? Bad Idea?

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Was looking into buying some more factory tools for working on D series motors, however, it looks like they are no longer made and only available in Russia. Since Russia is home to most of the hacking being done today I think that might be a bad idea. Thoughts?

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
What tools?

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: EF9, AT-SI, GS300
It'll be cheap at least.. lol

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si

Don't remember where or who, but I remember reading about someone who got a Russian milling machine.  

powpow

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: Honda CIvic 3rd gen 1985

What tools do you need? I can make a little search in russian internet and answer to any questions :)

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

What tools do you need? I can make a little search in russian internet and answer to any questions :)

I'm looking for the D series exhaust valve guide driver, part # 07942-SA50000 or 07942-8230000, and the exhaust valve guide reamer, part # 07984-SA50000 or 07984-689010A.  thanks!

letank

If we compare the quality of japanese and russian cars over the last 30 years, lets see which ones had less issues, which one had better consumer's satisfaction rating!

The tooling and the quality control is what makes a car last longer. As everybody is saying, you get what you pay for, would you go for the cheapest dentist of surgeon.... time to head to india for your surgical care, China is probably cheaper.

As for your signature: gas price has dropped more than any republican administrations can claim, unemployment is down, and health care has been granted to most, regardless of preexisting conditions, workers deserve proper care, workers are not like rags to be dumped when failing, workers are the core of this country, without unions, no vacations, no weekends (period), sorry for the political rant, I thought that this board was about cars, not political statements... Mmoderators you can erase this post, and the ones above.... that are making false statements.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip

If we compare the quality of japanese and russian cars over the last 30 years, lets see which ones had less issues, which one had better consumer's satisfaction rating!

The tooling and the quality control is what makes a car last longer. As everybody is saying, you get what you pay for, would you go for the cheapest dentist of surgeon.... time to head to india for your surgical care, China is probably cheaper.

Sorry an OEM part is an OEM part, doesn't have anything to do with the country it came from............

As for your signature: gas price has dropped more than any republican administrations can claim, 

Where did I comment on gas prices? Did I miss something?

unemployment is down 

That is debatable as to what employment is................having to work two part time jobs because an employer of a full time job would be required to buy the new and very expensive health care to meet the government's requirements? The jobs out there are minimum wage jobs, not dream jobs. If the economy is well why are we on a record number for people on welfare/food stamps?

HHS: Record Number Of Americans On Welfare

http://dailycaller.c...ans-on-welfare/

and health care has been granted to most, regardless of preexisting conditions,

That it has been granted to most is debateable. Most people are loosing their good insurance from their workplace having to settle for less. I do know someone that had Obamacare and loved it (because of cost), but then his company decided to offer healthcare and he lost his Obamacare. Now he's stuck because he just can't afford the healthcare his company offers because it is too expensive. I do agree that you should not be denied if you have a preexisting condition. Unfortunately Obamacare is as all government programs are, more expensive than what they initially claim, They have already dropped certain provisions of it that were not financially feasible (CLASS Act). My wife has insurance through the school, we used to pay $40 to add just me to the insurance. We had to drop myself from her insurance because it went up to $440 to add just me.

Obamacare premiums soar as much as 78% to help cover ‘essential health benefits’

http://www.washingto...by-as/?page=all

CLASS Act Long-Term Care Program Canceled: A Domino Effect for Obamacare?

http://www.ibtimes.c...bamacare-324161

Don’t Worry About The News That Walmart Is Dropping Health Coverage For 30,000 Workers

http://thinkprogress...-time-coverage/

workers deserve proper care

Only if there is a profit margin for it, there are a lot of food carts where I live and I cannot imagine a food cart making enough money to pay for health care for themselves, let alone an employee. In that case there should be some sort of insurance, but as a safety net, not an ever expansive government bureaucrasy. I am a firm believer that some people will work a 7-11 for the rest of their lives and live on the cusp of poverty will others will take it as a kick in the rear to do better and either go back to school or start a business. Everyone is capable of making something of themselves. I would also like to note that while some of you may be making great money, I'm not asking for your money, but a chance to earn my place next to you. My wife and I work a total of 6 different jobs to provide for our needs and I don't take a single government handout. When I grew up desiring to take what other's rightfully earned was called coveting and actually taking what belonged to others was called stealing, now it is just called government. With a Republican governer CA pulled this off..............

Not-So-Safe-Deposit Boxes: States Seize Citizens' Property to Balance Their Budgets

http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=4832471

workers are not like rags to be dumped when failing

That's what disability insurance is for which I pay into, I think Aflac insurance is similar but may be for short term diability. If your union you know the cardinal rule is productivity, If your on the clock you better be producing. I was union and that's what I really respected that about unions.

workers are the core of this country

That's definitely a worker mentality, unfortunately before the industrial revolution 90% of people used to be business owners, now 90% of people just work for someone else. It's true what they say, "You either build your dream or you build someone else's, if your working for someone else your building their dream not yours."

without unions, no vacations, no weekends (period)

That I definitely agree, however, General Motors went under because of a union. We also nearly lost the Twinkie as well because of another union, IIRC Hostess did fold on bankruptcy. So one would conclude not all unions are good..........however, not all are bad. The question to be asked is to what purpose do they serve? And are they mutually beneficial to both parties?

sorry for the political rant, I thought that this board was about cars, not political statements

If you want to bury your head under a car hood like I did, which I would consider burying one's head in the sand, by all means do it! And yes this board is about cars, but the people on here are human BEINGS not human DOINGS. I've seen all kinds of stuff on here not related to cars because people are built for relationship! But most of all, I would ask you, "Do you value freedom of speech?" If you only value your opinion and those that agree with you, you don't value freedom of speech. That is very sad if your American, because free speech gave you what you are today. Freedom of speech protects your ideas as well as mine and it is only through public debate that we can be honest and decide what is really best, not just OK or good enough. Honestly I don't care if your Democrat or Republican, because to me they are nearly the same. Very little sets them apart these days because both groups are only interested in grabbing power and taking money from the American People whether it be for the banks for a bail out or the millions wasted on green energy. So what this boils down to is this country really has a leadership problem and they are not willing to make good decisions. If you value what you have or HAD, you'll take a hard look at the constitution and what's going on today.

So What did I lie about? I did mean to write Anartic instead of arctic otherwise.............

Obama Administration REFUSES To Release Documents About White House Role in IRS Scandal

http://dailycaller.c...in-irs-scandal/

EPA’s CO2 Regulation Upheld as “Unambiguously Correct”

http://science.time....uously-correct/

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

http://www.wired.com...datacenter/all/

And if you feel like having fun type in "loss of freedom since Obama" which will garnish you about 31,800,000 hits, plenty of relevant articles.

Rising CO2 Levels May Not Make Earth Warmer, But Is Making It Greener

http://news.investor...get-greener.htm

Record expansion sees Antarctic sea ice confound climate scientists

Evidence for Predicting Global Cooling for the Next Three Decades

If you look to where a lot of tax dollars have gone, green energy, and you find out that those companies donate to the Democratics , it's no wonder why we have to keep global warming alive, it's big business. Germany and Australia were both on the same track we are on but have altered course because green energy was not cost effective. I think most scientists would agree that politics should stay out of science. Regardless, I'm not looking for someone to regurgitate partisan politics, I'm looking for those who will question or challenge what they see and will pursue truth, where ever it leads.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

powpow, I'll get you a list of Honda OEM Tool part numbers I've see in results on Russian pages, but I don't read "crylic" and have limited trust in Google's ability to do so. Most of what I'm interested in are parts for working on the subframe.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)