Blackhawk Video

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
Finally got a chance to play with my new camera last week at the SCCA National at Blackhawk. This was taken during the qualifying session. I was lucky in that managed to get several laps of clear track...it was actually quite crowded out there but you wouldn't know it from the video.

Video quality seems okay for You Tube. This during the qualifying session.
The white & yellow Prelude that blows by me is Loshak's former National Champ winnng E-Prod car with it's new owner.
The white & yellow 2nd gen CRX is the new benchmark for H-Prod and my main competition in Central Division.
Rematch next week cool.gif cool.gif

I learned I need to add some flat black tape to the aluminum trim on my dash and gauges to cut down on the reflection on the window. Still learning...
This video beats my first attempt at St Louis when my security strap brushed against the zoom button and the camera went to full zoom and made the video unwatchable... unless you want to get car sick laugh.gif
Enjoy!

2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
Nice vid! Smooth and consistent driving! The Prelude made me sad, but it was good to see you beat up on the 2nd gen CRX! He probably had a faster car, but was pretty sloppy.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Hard to beat an E-Prod Prelude with an H-Prod Civic...especially when you are spotting them 100 horsepower rolleyes.gif
The kid in the 2nd gen CRX is actually a very good driver and held the track record at VIR in his old Datsun 510 until it got shattered by the defending national champ a few weeks ago.
2nd gen CRX's are typically very tricky to drive since they are so knife-edged loose... which is a requirement to go fast in one of those things.
Given that, he was pretty smooth from my point of view.
He also broke my track record that I set last fall by 0.4 seconds, but his personal best was 0.1 seconds slower than my personal best set in qualifying.
In the race he and my VW competitor walked away from me on the straights. We are still working on that problem and will find out this weekend if we have a fix for it or not in a rematch.
There is also a possibility of rain which should favor my car over his...
1st gen boy & multi-national champ Dentici are also running this weekend in their tube-frame 2nd-gen CRX's running in GTL class.

Edited by Greg Gauper, 12 May 2009 - 12:23 PM.

1st gen boy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si ( SCCA ITB) 88 CRX Si (SCCA GTL)
QUOTE (Greg Gauper @ May 12 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hard to beat an E-Prod Prelude with an H-Prod Civic...especially when you are spotting them 100 horsepower rolleyes.gif
The kid in the 2nd gen CRX is actually a very good driver and held the track record at VIR in his old Datsun 510 until it got shattered by the defending national champ a few weeks ago.
2nd gen CRX's are typically very tricky to drive since they are so knife-edged loose... which is a requirement to go fast in one of those things.
Given that, he was pretty smooth from my point of view.
He also broke my track record that I set last fall by 0.4 seconds, but his personal best was 0.1 seconds slower than my personal best set in qualifying.
In the race he and my VW competitor walked away from me on the straights. We are still working on that problem and will find out this weekend if we have a fix for it or not in a rematch.
There is also a possibility of rain which should favor my car over his...
1st gen boy & multi-national champ Dentici are also running this weekend in their tube-frame 2nd-gen CRX's running in GTL class.

Yup, both Jim Dentici and I should be there. Just got the motor back in the red car last night and still need to get Jim's car out and race prep that too. Since we both have family obligations on Sat we will not be at quailfying and will start at the back on Sun am's race. Should be fun!!!!

Bob

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
Nice video man, thanks for showing us.
1987 Honda CRX DX

1986civicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: CRX w/d16 - HP CRX- 73 & 86 si projects
    Garage View Garage
Nice Video. Looks like a fun track to drive. Did they just allow the 2nd gen in this year. It is only the DX model I hope. That is one of the problems I have had with the SCCA. Seems like every year they will bring in another car and change the stability of the class.
Cory

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1986civicsi @ May 13 2009, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice Video. Looks like a fun track to drive. Did they just allow the 2nd gen in this year. It is only the DX model I hope. That is one of the problems I have had with the SCCA. Seems like every year they will bring in another car and change the stability of the class.
Cory

The 2nd gen (DX model) has been in the same class as the 1st gens for several years. It was a GP car when we were classed there too. Their biggest drawback is that puny single butterfly throttle body injection system on them. Evidently Loshack and those guys have found some things that work with them. They do have a MUCH better suspension system however so the potential is there for them to be able to handle better than ours. I know the young man I race against with a Civic model down here in Florida has his handling VERY well!

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
Nice vid Greg.

Very crisp and clean shifting, excellent use of all the available track surface, your line was dead on, car looks a tad under-powered but beyond that, I can't see any reason you shouldn't be a frontrunner. I've seen supposed "professional" race car drivers who don't look near as good as that!

It's like you've been doing this for a while!! biggrin.gif

The camera is very steady what camera are you using? It's obviously mounted to the cage?

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

1986civicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: CRX w/d16 - HP CRX- 73 & 86 si projects
    Garage View Garage
Did not realize that 2nd gen has been in HP for that long. Greg did look very good on the video. That is what worries me. That 2nd gen was pulling away on straights and their potential in handling seems much greater. Hope you guys figure something out.

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (RETROCRX @ May 13 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice vid Greg.
The camera is very steady what camera are you using? It's obviously mounted to the cage?
Rob

It's a Canon FS100 that I got for Xmas, and it was relatively inexpensive. It records up to 80 minutes.
The camera is mounted to my roll cage using an 'IO Port' model camera mount that I got from Pegasus.
http://www.pegasusau...s.asp?RecID=648

That 2nd gen was pulling away on straights and their potential in handling seems much greater. Hope you guys figure something out.]

As Jay indicated, the biggest problem with the specific model Honda that is classed in H-Prod with our 1st gens is that it is the DX version which means it gets a good 4-valve head, but has to breathe thru that crappy single injector throttle body which requires a custom ECU to get to work, and Loshak's guys are some of the best at that type of development.

Both the CRX and a late model VW are my main competition. The VW has monster torque and has very good aero so it is well suited to Road America, where the Runoffs are being held this year. That said, the last round of engine development that King Motorsports did for me produced a very strong motor. Unfortunately I have been fighting a continuing problem in that the motor tends to lose quite a bit of power when the ambient goes up. It can more than handle both the 2nd gen and the VW when the air is cool. I think Jay can attest to how strong the motor is when we ran in the cooler air during Runoffs qualifying session last year, but when we raced in the hotter afternoon air, I lost quite a bit of power.

I've had quite a bit of discussion about this problem with Jay and we think we know what is causing the drop off and I will try again this weekend, hopefully with my power back to its normal level.

1styearSI

• first year SI
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 civic SI SOLDI, 92 accord ex SOLD,84 yamaha virago 95 FIREBIRD FORMULA RAM AIR,2014 civic lx
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
nice i felt like i was playing Grand Turismo!!