20 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery

https://www.facebook...&type=1

There is no excuse, replace your ball joints/control arms RIGHT NOW. BTW- the occupants are OK.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

replaced them both yesterday along with the bushings.  They were pretty floppy and there was a very slight amount of up and down movement.  Having that hub fail a few weeks ago was a catalyst to get me to look at the other stuff.  I'll be replacing the tie rod ends when I install the new steering rack.

I was surprised to find the original rubber bushings on everything.  I would have thought with its racing history they would be poly at least.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

This is what I get when I click on the link to your pic:

"

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

I hate when people post facebook links on here for that reason. Just post a pic here please instead of a link that reroutes to facebook, unless this thread was only meant for your facebook friends, thanks.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Yeah, that is my mistake. The picture I was trying to share is not "public."

The picture is of a wrecked 1st gen with a B series swap. The driver's side ball joint failed, the car hit the center median and now it is totaled.

Long story short, replace those old ball joints.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

Was talking to Quinn about this several weeks back.  What was Honda thinking when the designed these ball joints?  If/when it fails, you're going to have a bad time.  Probably the biggest design flaw I've seen so far and am happy they inverted the ball joints on later models. 

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
I had driver side ball joint fail on me while going down highway 70 at about 55. It was ugly and also one hell of a ride. There are still gouge marks on the highway in Kinston from that learning experience.

It only takes about 2 hours for me to change both sides in my driveway. Its something I do about everything 50,000 miles with the road conditions around here.

And for goodness sake, if you ever hear them sqeak, creek, or at all "pop" they are about to give up the ghost.

Joseph

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

I think a wise course of action for me is going to be to replace them annually, given they are subjected to what can no doubt be considered extreme abuse - 7" wheels with 225 r-comps and autocross events 15-20x per year.

Plus for the time being I drive to and from events.  Not ideal, but can't justify the expense of replacing my daily driver with a newer truck just yet.

Edited by Andy69, 30 September 2014 - 09:33 AM.

phenams

Yeah i seen the pic scott was referring too...i bought mine already but when i went to change them they didnt seem to be anything wrong with them but i might aswell replace them its better then replacing my whole car.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

I think a wise course of action for me is going to be to replace them annually, given they are subjected to what can no doubt be considered extreme abuse - 7" wheels with 225 r-comps and autocross events 15-20x per year.

Plus for the time being I drive to and from events.  Not ideal, but can't justify the expense of replacing my daily driver with a newer truck just yet.

While I am sure that you are putting some stress on your ball joints with that combination, it is your hubs that really take the stress with those wheels and tires.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

While I am sure that you are putting some stress on your ball joints with that combination, it is your hubs that really take the stress with those wheels and tires.

tell me about it.

CSPCRX

As sad as this is to admit, that I do not know.  Can you change the ball joint without changing the entire LCA?

Edited by CSPCRX, 01 October 2014 - 02:32 PM.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango

No you cannot.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

CSPCRX

That's what I thought.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Always been curious if these road failures are from blown boot causing ball to wear and pop out, or if the metal post actually shears? From a dd point of view.. Aftermarket or oem failures?

My beater still sports 27yr old lower arms, driven gently. Replace boots 2-3x over the years w honda oe. Still tight last time I checked.

I'm sure the guys on the track push these to the limit. How do they fail there on the track? Popped ball, or shear?

I'm concerned w replacing my japan part for a Chinese , or unknown sourced part/metallurgy to place on my dd. That is assuming my joint is still tight! I have to check it again.
Keepin' it OEM

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

One thing to pay close attention to.  This is a problem with Ebay aftermarket BS spindles on the 68-72 GM A-bodies (Chevelle, etc).  The taper on the ball joint shaft holes is incorrect on the cheap Chinese spindles and causes shaft failure on the ball joints.  This happens because all the force is concentrated on one pointy edge of the shaft hole and the rest is air space which results in movement of the ball joint shaft and eventually failure at the contact point.  This isn't an exact problem on the CRX because there are no aftermarket Chinese spindles, but the possibility of incorrect shaft size or taper is something to be aware of.