New To Site, Not To Rex. Need Some Help

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

86_CRX_Si

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si (soon to be D16A1 powered)
biggrin.gif Had my 1986 CRX Si for a few years now, and the tired old D15 is ready to roll over on 200,000 miles... Love her a lot wub.gif but, head gasket starting to leak, exhaust was rusted out (previous owner thought it was a good idea to stick the hose into the exhaust and rinse it out...) blink.gif Don't know WHY but she did. Hint: (She) wacko.gif ... LOL No offense to the fellow female rexers. Oh, and the suspension is just about shot. So basically, a complete over haul is in order here. (maybe even new paint) The old white is now a blah cream...

Looking to slap a nice D16A1 into it, and give it a new exhaust. The battery will go to the back, and the cold air intake will take it's place. Looking to do this swap SOON, so any help (diagrams, write up, posts of swaps done) will help a LOT! I am also having trouble locating one. The tranny I'm still not sure on... Dunno if I want to keep mine, or what... (wonder if I can do a six speed... That would rock!) cool.gif I need the engine, the tranny, and all other components to do it.

Thanks for reading, and look forward to hearing from everyone.

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
the faq will help you out a lot

chris biggrin.gif
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (86_CRX_Si @ Mar 7 2004, 10:50 PM)
Looking to slap a nice D16A1 into it, and give it a new exhaust. The battery will go to the back, and the cold air intake will take it's place. Looking to do this swap SOON, so any help (diagrams, write up, posts of swaps done) will help a LOT! I am also having trouble locating one. The tranny I'm still not sure on... Dunno if I want to keep mine, or what... (wonder if I can do a six speed... That would rock!) cool.gif  I need the engine, the tranny, and all other components to do it.

if you want to swap in a D16A1, you aren't keeping your tranny, so that decision is made for you.

the CRX Si tranny will not bolt to the D16A1 bellhousing.

besides, the CG tranny that mates to the D16A1 has better gearing (more closely spaced ratios), and offers the advantage of equal length halfshafts.
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

86_CRX_Si

• Granny
  • Pip
Well good. Already learing some stuff.

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
I recommend finding yourself a cheap 1G integra.
86-87 would be the easiest

You can harvest a plethora of parts from the integra.
engine/trans, brakes, suspension parts, etc etc.

86_CRX_Si

• Granny
  • Pip
True, that probably would be the easiest...

My luck, the engine would be thrashed. lol Probably be pretty expensive for the whole thing.

Also, is this D16A1 swap smog legal in my CRX si?

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (86_CRX_Si @ Mar 8 2004, 04:49 PM)

My luck, the engine would be thrashed. lol Probably be pretty expensive for the whole thing.

i dunno all the finer details about CARB regulations, but IIRC, the swap should be legal if the new engine is the same year as the old, or newer (in other words, if you have an 86 CRX Si, any stock USDM g1 integra engine should be CARB legal, if you have an 87 Si, you'd need an 87 or later engine)
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

86_CRX_Si

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (shadowboy @ Mar 8 2004, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (86_CRX_Si @ Mar 8 2004, 04:49 PM)

i dunno all the finer details about CARB regulations, but IIRC, the swap should be legal if the new engine is the same year as the old, or newer (in other words, if you have an 86 CRX Si, any stock USDM g1 integra engine should be CARB legal, if you have an 87 Si, you'd need an 87 or later engine)

That's one thing I am going to have to cheack out I guess...