Steering Rack

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
Hi everyone. it's been a while since I have posted.

I need to replace my steering rack in my 87 Si (Hatch). It has too much play on the passenger side. I thought at first it was the inner tie rod, but after taking it off the outer tie rod, it was obvious it was the rack and not the inner tie rod.

Anyway, are all racks interchangeable? Can I take one off a CRX and put it on my Hatch? Does it need to be a Si specific one? Can I take one off of a different trim level? Aren't they all the same or am I going to run into a problem.

A P/S conversion would be nice, but is probably beyond my abilities. I just want the car to be safe and continue to be as reliable as a rock.

-Bridgette

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Dont quote me but im pretty sure they are all the same demensions and stuff. The HF rack has a slighty quicker ratio, like half a turn less to lock.
Posted Image

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
I kinda did it backwards. I posted then searched.

I'm pretty sure any rack will fit.

-B

QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Jul 17 2007, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont quote me but im pretty sure they are all the same demensions and stuff. The HF rack has a slighty quicker ratio, like half a turn less to lock.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
any rack will, but like he said, the HF rack is a little quicker. i'm still on the look-out for one.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Depending on price, it might just be eazyer to pick up a HF Pinnion and Rack Gear, and swap them out with a rebuild of your stock rack.

Edit: NM thats about $160 worth of stuff from honda.
Posted Image