D15b 3 Stage Vtec Into 87 Crx

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

Abcence

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
i am swapping my d15a2 for a d15b 3 stage vtec, i know i am going to have to get an ecu with wiring harness and a fuel pump with main fuel line, but will the engine mount just fine since i am swapping one d series for and other on? i figured that bc they are both d engines that the mounts would work and that the trany would bolt up just fine.
and other thing is that the d15b came with p2j ecu (non-chipable) which is obd2 to run both vtec solenoids. is there an ecu that is chipable that will be able to activate all 3 stages on the vtec? i have heard that you can use an obd1 p72 from an integra gsr and that you can use the iab output to one of the solenoids and tune it to run properly. is this true, and is there anything that i am missing?

rolandinacrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx, 2008tundra,92civic grocery getter,29 ford
iv never heard of 3 stage vetc and i have ran a p72 in my car. what do the 3 stages do exactly.
kicken ass and taken names

Build Thread - CLICK HERE!

RTM

the d15b will nnot fit right in. the d15a2/a3 are more like rebadged ew motors than d-seris. you will need to do some mount fab work.

Abcence

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
the d15b three stage vtec uses a combination of normal operation, vtec e and vtec.
below about 2,500 rpm and mild engine load it operates off of on intake valve (12 valve operation) then it goes into 16 valve operation up to about 5 or 6,000rpm.
after that it shifts to "wild cam" and gets about 130hp @7,000 rpm. red line is 8,000.

fab work isnt to difficult, but i am going to assume that the trany bolt pattern is different? and it will be a hydro clutch?

factory ecu is a p2j obd2

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
The Hasport D-Series mount kit will be your friend to get the whole thing to mount up.
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap