86 Crx Rebuilt Top End And Wont Start

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

86hfsprint

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
so i recently picked up a stock 86 crx hf and it had a few bent valves so i tore the top end apart and had the head machined and rebuilt. I put it all back together and the car wont start. It is getting fuel and has spark but it just kinda sputters when cranking and never fires up. I looked for vacuum leaks and found one but it still doesnt fire up

Any ideas?
90 civic lx sedan RIP
96 civiv dx hatch (D16 turbo) sold
86 crx current project

Ive driven all kinds of cars but always find my way back into the seat of a honda :)

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Timing out 180 degrees.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
It is impossible to have the cam timing out 180 degrees, so that must mean plug wires.
I would double check the firing order.
Jeff

86hfsprint

• Granny
  • Pip
i will have to double check the wires or maybe the coil wire is bad. The timing is definitely not out crank was tdc and the cam was aligned properly using the timing marks on the drive gear
90 civic lx sedan RIP
86 crx current project

Ive driven all kinds of cars but always find my way back into the seat of a honda :)

86hfsprint

• Granny
  • Pip
ok so i took another look and on the bottom of the dizzy there are i believe 5 wires 1 blue, 1 black, 1 yellow, 1 black + red, 1 yellow+ black. Two of the wires the yellow and the blue are snapped off right at the connector so i have a spare housing im going to swap all the new wires, cap, rotor etc onto and see if that corrects the problem. Hopefully it does because if not ill be back asking more questions. Ill have to do it tomorrow theres 60mph winds here in elspaso and i was being sandblasted outside just to find that issue.
90 civic lx sedan RIP
86 crx current project

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
The cam marks line flat/level with the head. Your piston reaches tdc twice in a four cycle motor. So it in deed can be 180 degrees off. You can be firing on the exhaust stroke rather the compression.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Sorry crank out 360

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
I agree the plug wires can be 180 out but not the Cam in relation to the crank.

Jeff

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Sorry crank out 360

Where is the Picard face palm picture when you need it? XD

Sorry man, they are right. You can not have the cam out 180 degrees out, an up stroke is an up stroke. (or the crank 360, that just puts the crank back in the same spot)
On many SOHC cars it IS possible to have the distributor out 180 degrees which would fire the plug on the exhaust stroke, but not on ours since the distributor is keyed to only mate one way to the cam.

OP: If fixing those severed wires doesn't get it running, check your cam timing again.
While being out exactly 180 degrees on the cam doesn't matter, anything else does. And these cars are horrible for being off a tooth after installing a timing belt.

86hfsprint

• Granny
  • Pip
ok i see now what u meant about being 180 degrees out on the distrubutor. I thought of this yeasterday as well and tried switching the distributor positioning 180 degrees relative to the cam and still the same issue. I am going to swap distributors and the wire harness today and see it that fixes the issue
90 civic lx sedan RIP
86 crx current project