Itc Crx Door Bar Planning

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

ITC Racer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: ITA 3G Integra
I guess it is time to update the cage in my 85 CRX (ITC car) to include the additional door bars which are now manditory.

Does anyone have any pics on how they have done theirs and also what the driver's side door looks like with the interior door panel removed? My car is safely tucked away and is not very accessible.

I would like to do something like the nascar bars but also want to keep the door glass in for weather and security.

Thanks

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA Teggy STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA Parts Car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car, I have issues!
I have to update my door bars also. I have a bolt in cage that came down from a Showroom Stock CRX. I can keep th bolt in, but need to make the change on the door bars.

hoop
hoop
greensboro, nc
20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA parts car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car... I may have issues!

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
subscribed
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Motor City Hamilton

• The Green Snowplow
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 ITC Civic
Here are photos of mine. Much, much safer than the single or double bar right next to your seat.

http://www.flickr.co...57603384950606/
My driving skills fall somewhere between The Stig and Sammy Hawkins!

tom91ita

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1st gen crx si's and 2nd gen si's
here are mine.

http://www.flickr.co...ita/2031608775/

http://www.flickr.co...b=1202433279750

my cage started as a bolt-in autopower. i added the two doorbars and short cross-braces.

the door is gutted out to allow this and the glass is removed. i do not think there is any decent way to compromise on this other than to fab up something that can be set in the window area.

by the way, my door bar is right out to the door skin/bracing on the door. i took a pretty solid hit in the door at the top of thunder valley when i turned down on a its car that was lapping me at the Mid-Ohio IT Spectacular. i thought the door was written off and major damage was done the way the car was hit and i spun into the driver's right gravel trap.

hardly a scratch. ditch the glass and put the bars up to the outer door.

Edited by tom91ita, 07 February 2008 - 08:20 PM.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Apologies for the partial thread hijack, but I am interested in this for a dual use road and track car. Our licensing people take a pretty dim view of front cages - visibility and removing people from crashed cars appears to be their reasons. And I am very concious of what would happen in a side on crash - the local 4wd's would have my head off at window level before their tyres hit the side body.
Would a bar assembly mounted in the door, and going from the top door hinge across to the latch area, work. The body side hinge and latch would have to be worked on, but it seems viable. I have seen this idea in a UK kit car assembly, and I always thought it would be a nice addition for a car not dedicated to racing.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Here is mine

http://www.redpepper...03/aah.jpg.html

D Jaws II

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI D15A3, 89 CRX Si B18A1, 89 Prelude B20A JDM, 91 CRX DX D15B2, 87 CRX HF with a D15A3 (pictured above) New 11/06: 1998 Civic EX JDM B16A to be new track car
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
anjin,

Drivers side:

During the build,

After the build,

On the drivers side, all bars are 1.75" .095 wall with the top bar 2.00 .120 wall. All sitting on a 2.5" .120 wall square tube welded inside the rocker, both sides. My theory, is it is better to stop a car from even entering the car, through the door bars or when hit so low on the door it would cause the base to be compromised.

Passenger side:

On both sides, there is only enough room to get foam insulation between the bars and skin, barely. Both doors are just skin, nothing else. Passenger side there is an additional bar at the top of the door skin that is 1" .095 wall. Both door skins tops are rivoted to the top bar 6 or 7 places each side.

This is a hobby, and taking the risk of injury seriously, one is better served with a more robust cage than not.

JMHO

Donnie

"YOU SHOULD NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY"

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
D Jaws - that is a comprehensive set of protection. I am truely impressed.

My problem is that if I did that in a road car here I'd be red-carded and off the road until it was removed. As I mentioned, our police and licensing authorities seem to want to be able to get you out of the car easily after a crash rather than save you from injury during a crash. Rear half cages are fine - just don't do much up front. Rather than improving an old car they would prefer junking it and have me buy a modern one.

I'm still going to look for something that works for me in the door area however. I'll get ideas from posts here for sure.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

ITC Racer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: ITA 3G Integra
I like the setup that Tom and Motorcity are running and would like to do something similar.

Does anyone have any pics of the driver's side door with the interior panel removed?

Thanks

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (anjin @ Feb 9 2008, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My problem is that if I did that in a road car here I'd be red-carded and off the road until it was removed. As I mentioned, our police and licensing authorities seem to want to be able to get you out of the car easily after a crash rather than save you from injury during a crash. Rear half cages are fine - just don't do much up front. Rather than improving an old car they would prefer junking it and have me buy a modern one.

Driving with a full cage in a street car is NOT a good idea. If this is your daily driver the most you need is a four point roll bar. If you head hits ANY of the bars off the cage it is going to be the first thing to break.

Back on topic, I looked and looked but I can't seem to find any good shots of my door bars or how they go into the door or how I have my window rigged in so the car can be sealed up during transport or secured at night or keep the rain out when sitting in the paddock.
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

Motor City Hamilton

• The Green Snowplow
  • PipPip
I kept enough metal in the door to hold the open door latch and lock. Most everything else was cut out. Your highest door bar needs to leave room for the lowest point of that latch. I just used a cut off wheel. I don't have any good photos of the inside of the door here.

D Jaws II

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI D15A3, 89 CRX Si B18A1, 89 Prelude B20A JDM, 91 CRX DX D15B2, 87 CRX HF with a D15A3 (pictured above) New 11/06: 1998 Civic EX JDM B16A to be new track car
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Motor City Hamilton @ Feb 9 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kept enough metal in the door to hold the open door latch and lock. Most everything else was cut out. Your highest door bar needs to leave room for the lowest point of that latch. I just used a cut off wheel. I don't have any good photos of the inside of the door here.

Ben,

That might be all well if you race with strictly gentlemen/ladies in a environment that is inducive to clean racing. That is not always the case, and erroring on the safe side, I overbuild with safety being a priority, one I am not willing to compromise. Hence, the monster bars.

Zephyr, I was not aware this was going to be a duo-purpose car. My bad for even suggesting that style of bars.

Cheers,

Donnie

"YOU SHOULD NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY"

tom91ita

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1st gen crx si's and 2nd gen si's
here is some pics of the doors:

http://www.flickr.co...ita/2255173620/

http://www.flickr.co...ita/2254374031/

http://www.flickr.co...ita/2254373505/

http://www.flickr.co...ita/2255173018/

i have heard/read net discussions regarding how much inner door can be removed. a strict interpretaion may be only that necessary to have the bars enter the door. i have seen others that took it all the way around. you can see that mine are likely somewhere in the middle.

i seem to recall the pattern was somewhat dictated by minimizing the cutting i had to do as well and i followed some prexisting holes/openings in the door.

Motor City Hamilton

• The Green Snowplow
  • PipPip
My doors look very close to what you have done, Tom. Only difference is that I kept the inside door handle and lock.

Tom, is that a beer cozy in the bottom of the door? How long has that been riding around in there? laugh.gif