What Would You Guys Buy

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
ok heres the deal. the car that my mom has now that i bought her only about 1-2 years ago is dieing fast.
we go the engine starting problem fixed and no sooner dos it get a nother problem.

heres what is wrong
brakes gone
sturts gone
engine burns over a 1L a week
pass fornt window assmbley is broken so window(power) will slowly fall on wight of the glass so its clamped at the moment.
rusted trunk lid
front window has a stone chip in it.
the tranny is acting up auto
and most resont the muffler fell off so its a resinator and stright pipe to jsut over the axel

so yea it needs to get shot

so she has a limit of 5k to get a reliable sorry hondas arnt car but i only know hondas. what should we bee looking for.

i know its a honda site but there is a few here that have diff cars.

any ideas are thanked.

and oh yea will have this sell this so it will be up for sale when we get a newer car.

thanks

JDN14

Dead reliable?

Toyota corrolla, camry, or a pickup ought to fill the bill/
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I would also state a corolla, as an owner of one It has been flawless In reliability, and functions quite well. Hell My wife even won a drag racing bracket trophy with It, lol.. It ran a 17.0@82, not too shabby for an all stock automatic 1.8 125HP dohc vvti, with car seats, fully power optioned corolla LE with front and side airbags too ..

Edited by etmydst, 28 September 2006 - 12:40 AM.

crazi-85crx

I might as well suggest a Corolla too smile.gif. My sister's fiance drives an early 90's model; it's a 5spd, good trunk space, limited backseat legroom, comfortable, good instrument/control layout, you feel safe in it, and it's pretty reliable.

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I bought a Mazda6 over the summer. Definately love the car. I got the 5 door, very roomy hatch, plenty of room in the back even with the fold down seats, the 4cyl is reasonably peppy even though it doesn't like revving below 2500 RPM's in anything but 1st gear. MSRP was 24k, I only paid 17k. Just get a good bank to finance 'cause Mazda Credit has insane rates.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
mazsa's cost a fortune to repair if something goes wrong.

camry

carola

my grandmother loves her corsica

i wouldnt be caught dead in any of the above, but whatever.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

carphreak

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic sedan, 2006 nissan frontier, 2004 nissan xterra, 1994 nissan pathfinder
i would suggest a nissan. they last and are as reliable as toyotas if taken care of properly. my dad has a 94 pathfinder with 220000 miles on it and no major engine work has ever been done. oh and i still beat the shit out of it everytime i drive it....

Edited by carphreak, 28 September 2006 - 09:49 AM.

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
In my 30 cars experience, the cars I've found to be reliable are nissan, toyota, honda. I've seen well over 200k miles on each of these without burning oil. Mazdas are out unless you buy one before the ford purchase, otherwise expect to install a transmission cooler immediately or replace the transmission in the next year or so. Same goes with fords. I've had nothing but problem with the fords I've had. And stick with an econobox to keep maintenance costs low. It's amazing, I tried to rebuild a 300zx ('86) recently and got almost nowhere with the money I was putting into it. Got these 2 '85 hondas I'm working on now and I've bought tons of parts new and still haven't broke the $200 mark. Close ($193), but haven't broke it yet unless you include food and transport of the cars.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

bobdragster

• Without 無限Limit
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1980 Honda Prelude
    Garage View Garage
Well, I would bet that if she bought a car and took care of it, constantly took care of it, regular maintinence, got something fixed right when she noticed something wrong, that kind thing, it would last well over 200,000 miles. Unless its a
Ford or Chevy, then I'd say about 150,000.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
I'd get one of the new Civics.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
certified used civic

`nuff said cool.gif

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

lilneedle

• Mcguyver's long lost son...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic 1300 With complete brown top teg convo...
    • Image Gallery
get a civic or accord...mid 90's...I don't drive nuttin but Honda/Acura baby!!!!lol tongue.gif
FORSALE$700BUX...
86 1300 3G With Teg conversion...DOHC BABY!!!

SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration-member.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I would say it all depends on what your mother doesn't mind driving. I would say, that what ever it is, it needs to have standard safety features in it. Like airbags and antilock brakes and the anti-rollover.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
thanks guys for the responces so far. shes hoping to satay under the 4000 mark so to pay it off faster. for cars shes nto picky jsut wonts a reliable car not a mecanics special. like this last honda i got.lol.
i like hondas but there always neededing somethings.

been looking at the
toys nissans neons cavs,sunfires, (she loves her cavs)
mazdas to expencive.
find honda holds it valuse to high, for 4k im looking at only a 93 thats still old.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
NEONS??WTF thats the worst car ever..worse than a dodge caravan, ALLLL black marks on consumer reports, same with cav's and sunfires, You just picked three of the worst domestic compacts made.. stick with the nissan, honda, toyota.. MAZDA plain sucks ass, It is the AMERICAN CAR of the japanese brands... my friend has been working at mazda as a tech for years, he says mazda cars just plain suck. dont ever buy one he tells me LOL. yeah all these people with new mazda's say "yeah they are great"..lets hear that at 100k.. I said the same thing with my expedition when I first bought It.. but now ask me IT SUCKS ASS>. and Its not me, synthetic every 3,000, always maintained before needed..

Edited by etmydst, 28 September 2006 - 03:42 PM.