Upgrade

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

cgmaster06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 crx hf
Ok its been a long time since my crx seen daylight from out the garage, and now I want to start rebuilding the car. I know what I want to do as far as apperance but for performance mods im kinda confused. The car is a 1986 crx hf...I read the frequently asked question section and it said get a si long block for my car weber carbs. I understand the carbs but couldn't I just put a si head on my car aslo and that would help?

I want to go with carb setup so i can have that classic look. but also not trying to be the slowest.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cgmaster06 @ Mar 27 2008, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand the carbs but couldn't I just put a si head on my car aslo and that would help?

Yes, but you would need to update the fuel system by adding in an electric fuel pump. the Si head is a noticable performance bump.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
depends on what motor you have, as I understand none of the usdm crx's never received a 1.3 though I am not sure and I am not sure if the hf's got a 8valve or 12 valve head. if you can swing it, I'd say it is EASIEST to just pick up an SI long block and toss whatever fuel/intake sys in there. also keep in mind that the weber setup is quite costly compared to a lesser performing, yet perfect for street driving, CDM carb/IM
-zak
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (zakats @ Mar 28 2008, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
depends on what motor you have, as I understand none of the usdm crx's never received a 1.3 though I am not sure and I am not sure if the hf's got a 8valve or 12 valve head. if you can swing it, I'd say it is EASIEST to just pick up an SI long block and toss whatever fuel/intake sys in there. also keep in mind that the weber setup is quite costly compared to a lesser performing, yet perfect for street driving, CDM carb/IM
-zak

All he needs to do to find out what car he has (motor wise) is look at the tag. If it says d15a2 he has the 1.5. If this is the case, we need to ask the question, "When he says POWER, is he speaking of pickup or general torque?" If its general torque, then yes, a motor swap, or even head swap is in order, if he means pickup, then a transmission swap is what he is wanting.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
^it'd saw EW2 or EV? since its an 86
might as well swap the whole engine/trans while he's at it. if it is indeed a 1.5 then the best option while keeping a EW engine would be a rebuild... with the $90 ZC pistons, a slight overbore job with honing from the local machine shop, an SI head, CDM DX intake and there you have a slick sub 15 second, 40+mpg street setup
the question is- why haven't I done this? ohh right, I have a B swap wink.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

anassa

• Slowest of em all.
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX Si
QUOTE (zakats @ Mar 29 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^it'd saw EW2 or EV? since its an 86
might as well swap the whole engine/trans while he's at it. if it is indeed a 1.5 then the best option while keeping a EW engine would be a rebuild... with the $90 ZC pistons, a slight overbore job with honing from the local machine shop, an SI head, CDM DX intake and there you have a slick sub 15 second, 40+mpg street setup
the question is- why haven't I done this? ohh right, I have a B swap wink.gif

just wondering what C/P with the ZC (PM7 right? - also interchangeable with the P29 D16a1 pistons right? ? ) would give, seems a budget thing that i may try, but would that make me have to run 91 oct gas? thanks.
Someday my car will look as clean and sexy as this:

-1997 318ti DD

-1989 240sx sold on CL

-1985 CRX DX, sold to Justin

-1985 CRX Si, sold to Indyman.

-1991 CRX Si, totaled in the mountains, RIP