No Electrical Power

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

thornton07

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX SI 2006 Suzuki Forenza, 2007 Dodge Mega-cab, 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
[/size][size="5"]I have a 1985 CRX SI that lost all power on the way home the other day. I have no accessory power, no lights, guages etc.. I towed the CRX home and took the battery out and it started my full size 2007 Dodge p-up with no problems. Any Ideas. Also, is there a way to read codes without buying a code reader?

AggressiveST

You can read the codes by looking at what lights are on on the ecu, under the passenger seat. There's a code list somewhere in the service manual(service manual link at the top of this page).
THEN: soon after that : next in order of time, position, narration, or enumeration <walked to the door, then turned><first came the clowns, and then came the elephants>

THAN: used as a function word to indicate difference of kind, manner, or identity ; used especially with some adjectives and adverbs that express diversity <anywhere else than at home><older than I am> <easier said than done>

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
[/size][size="5"]Your problem could be caused by either a bad alternator, bad ignition switch or a bad main relay. I'm guessing that the problem is not the alternator because usually when an alternator goes bad it will drain the battery too, but it's worth checking. Also, check the main fuses in the engine bay and make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
+1 for checking the fuse links under the hood. If one is blown then looking into why.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

78CvccMugen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI, 1 yellow 1978 Civic Cvcc, 1 white 1978 Civic Cvcc, 1 1966 Datsun Roadster 1600
    • Image Gallery
Check your alternator. It could be bad and not recharging your battery even if the battery is good, you will lose power and your car will die, will not start and your battery will drain from trying to restart the car. I hope I make sense...lol. Sorry for my English... biggrin.gif .

thornton07

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX SI 2006 Suzuki Forenza, 2007 Dodge Mega-cab, 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
QUOTE (78CvccMugen @ Apr 7 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check your alternator. It could be bad and not recharging your battery even if the battery is good, you will lose power and your car will die, will not start and your battery will drain from trying to restart the car. I hope I make sense...lol. Sorry for my English... biggrin.gif .
How expensive is getting a new computer. I tested the alternator thanks to my uncle, and it is working correctly. I tested continuity from the fuses under the hood and they are good as well. I still have no power to any electrical component..i.e. the headlights or accessories, including the gauges and radio

Mark L

QUOTE (thornton07 @ Apr 7 2008, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 1985 CRX SI that lost all power on the way home the other day. I have no accessory power, no lights, guages etc.. I towed the CRX home and took the battery out and it started my full size 2007 Dodge p-up with no problems. Any Ideas. Also, is there a way to read codes without buying a code reader?

Do your 4 way flashers work? Those are directly powered off the battery. If those work and nothing else I would look at your fuseable links.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
If it is not a fuse, then it probably is your ignition switch. In fact I am willing to bet that it is your ignition switch.

The ignition switch is a wear item and they do crap out dramatically in the manner that you have described. What really kills an ignition switch is carrying a lot of keys on your car's key ring. All that weight just murders the ignition switch over time.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

AggressiveST

^+1
THEN: soon after that : next in order of time, position, narration, or enumeration <walked to the door, then turned><first came the clowns, and then came the elephants>

THAN: used as a function word to indicate difference of kind, manner, or identity ; used especially with some adjectives and adverbs that express diversity <anywhere else than at home><older than I am> <easier said than done>

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Check your ground wires too. Those connections can get rather sketchy, and when they go you'll get the same result.

It's probably not the problem, but it's another easy thing to check before you tare into the ignition.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (thornton07 @ Apr 7 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How expensive is getting a new computer. I tested the alternator thanks to my uncle, and it is working correctly. I tested continuity from the fuses under the hood and they are good as well. I still have no power to any electrical component..i.e. the headlights or accessories, including the gauges and radio

The ECU (computer) does not control any of the accessories. Unless the ECU is full of water and heavily corroded inside I'm sure it's fine.

Check the interior fuses then start investigating the ignition switch. If the ignition switch is good move on to the main relay (located under the dash above interior fuse box). If the main relay is good then you've got a wiring problem.

Edited by lxndr, 07 April 2008 - 09:30 PM.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 7 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is not a fuse, then it probably is your ignition switch. In fact I am willing to bet that it is your ignition switch.

The ignition switch is a wear item and they do crap out dramatically in the manner that you have described. What really kills an ignition switch is carrying a lot of keys on your car's key ring. All that weight just murders the ignition switch over time.

Scott

Doubt it is the ignition switch on this one: He said he does not even have lights, those are not run though the ignition switch.

I'd be checking a couple things then moving on from there.
  • if the 10A flasher fuse is good and the flashers are not even working: With the battery disconnected check for continuity between the negative battery terminal wire and ground, the cable could be old and in theory could have broken inside the casing (especially if there is no hold down on the battery and the cable was getting tugged on)
  • if the flashers work and nothing else: Check for continuity from the positive terminal to and through the 55A link, again with the battery disconnected

Also, if you have a test light you can connect it to ground (not at the battery) and then start probing at the battery's (+) terminal and moving away until the light doesn't illuminate, if it doesn't work on the (+) terminal problem in the ground wiring. Click here for power distribution chart

thornton07

• Granny
  • Pip
I would just like to say that I value all the info I have received from everyone. I am going to try all the things listed. I do have my four way flashers, so I am going to check my links to see if they are any good. This project has been put on the back burner because my employer does not believe in personal time. lol I will continue to work on the problem and I will check and post periodically to let you guys know what I have found out. Thanks Again I do appreciate everyone who took the time to respond and try to help me figure this out.

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 86 CRX Si w/turbo D16 in the works.
What really kills an ignition switch is carrying a lot of keys on your car's key ring. All that weight just murders the ignition switch over time

You learn something new every day!!! Yeah, I killed the ignition switch on my integra; apparently this was the cause of failure. I spent a week trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with it. Battery was good, had the starter checked at 2 different places because I was sure that was the problem. Checked all grounds and fuses, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the nugget! I'll get to lightening up that key chain!

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
Do you have any electrical accessories that you added to the car? Such as big stereos, fog lights, ricer mods?

86 crx