Ebay Camgear

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 92'civic hatch d15b+86'crx carbed
anyone know if those bomz cam gears on ebay are anygood,they going for like 71.00 dollars.and has anyone used a aem cam gear on there d15a2?is it worth buying.any info on sites selling cam gears or headers for a good price?the cheapest i found so far was modacar.

dmotoguy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx, 98 jeep grand cheroke 5.9
doubt they are any good.. wouldnt wanna risk my motor with it. i might be able to get you one from a very high quality but new company, darkstar racing... i'll call tomorrow

mugen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1988 turbo supra
I have one of those bomz cam gears. I havent yet installed it so i dont kno yet.

1985crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 honda crx Si
i got that same cam gear from ebay. it works great i have it advanced 6 degrees. i say go ahead and get it.

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
Three things about cam gears:

1. I'd be weary of any cam gear that uses less than 4 fasteners to hold the adjustment. If I did have one of these, I'd replace the fasteners with something I knew the grade of - I use grade 10.9 fasteners in my B-series gears and something called a Schnorr safety washer (a serrated spring washer) under every bolt.
http://www.schnorr.c...fety Washer.pdf

2. What alloy are the gears made of? 6061? 7075? I wouldn't trust a 6061 gear up against the cam's hard steel key. What do you think will wear first?

3. Also, if the belt surface isn't hard anodized, the timing belt will literally eat the gear over time.

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
its anodized and made of 6061-t6 billet aluminum. hey 1985crxsi u gotta pic of how the cam gear looks installed?anyone recomend a certin cam gear they have used?

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
I've got two different ones.

An AEM which I got on ebay a while back that I DO NOT trust. I, like TJ, just don't trust just the three bolts on it. A lot of people will probably disagree with me but that's OK. It may be fine but I like my other one a lot better.

It's a skunk2 that was made for the single cam Prelude and 92-02 Accord. They don't tell you that it fits our motor but it has the same part number @ the AEM site for all these motors. It has SIX bolts and it even weighs less.

Weird thing. The + and - marks (for advance and retard) are exactly opposite on the two gears. And I know the motor both turned counterclockwise. Right?

Jay

Edited by jsgprod, 17 November 2003 - 04:39 PM.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
no clue about quality, but seems Web Cams still sells cam gears.

Pricey as fuck though

http://www.webcamsha...nda-auto.html#1

cbstd found out that the cam gears from the 92+ f20c or b(non vtec) cam gear was the same, I think he went to AEM to talked to them or something and they found it to be the same. Skunk I think uses 6 screws on theirs I believe.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Nov 17 2003, 04:28 PM)
Weird thing. The + and - marks (for advance and retard) are exactly opposite on the two gears. And I know the motor both turned counterclockwise. Right?

Dumb question(s)...which one is correct? Is the 'wrong' gear designed to be flipped around when installed?

What's the p/n & cost of the Skunk gear?
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I have been using the AEM cam gear for about four years now and I have had no problems.

Currently I am at 0 degrees and that seems to work the best.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
jsgprod is right the aem cam gear for sohc preludes+accords are the same:
23-603 item# but cant find any info or price on skunk2 gears.

4dr

• SOHC Honda Cowboy!
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1989 crx Si, 1994 civic Dixxer 4dr, 1986 dixxer CRX(RIP)
    • Image Gallery
its when you dont torque them down to spec is when id be worried.

i got a 3 bolt, and not that i disagree, cuz i have sometimes been concerned.
then again....thousands on ppl have these and the cases of malfunction are few and far between.

i check everything with every tank full of gas, when i check the dip stick. so i guess if you arent good with a torque wrench, then id be more scared.

3 bolts seem more than adequate tho when you think of the surface area and how much centripital force it is generating on the bolts themselves.

like i said, torque them down, use loctite.
keep an eye on it.

i do wish i had a 6 bolt tho deep down. but what are ya gonna do ya know?

Dan-O

I have one in the box to be installed when I cut my head on my Si. My buddy has two of the exact same gears on his JDM ZC in his '91 Civic Si project motor using D16a1 timing components.

The quality looks to compare to the high $$ gears, but I can't offer any long term testing results.

1985crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 honda crx Si
ill try and get a pic of it tomorrow if its not raining here. i got the blue one. it looks pretty good on the engine. i also make sure the 3 bolts are tight before i race, and check everything under the hood when i put gas in. and check the oil. ive only had it on their for about 6 months. i race every friday and saturday. and have had no problems with it at all. i dont trust ebay that much either. but ive also heard good and bad things about the 3 bolt cam.

d15vtec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
c'mon guys show us newbies what cam gears your running?I kno there not stock! wink.gif