89 Si Seat In My 87 Crx

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm gonna go look at a set of 89 crx si seats for my car. I've searched...and find some conflicting info about having to swap pans or not for the 2nd gen seats. I'm not sure when the seat pan design changed.

To anyone who's done this...did you have to swap the rails over, or the whole pan? Did you run into a problem with headroom (i have si, so there's a sunroof too), and if so, how much. I've seen some pics and the don't look that tall, but I don't wanna wait till I get them in to realize this.... This is from a CDN crx if that matters.

Or....anyone local 604 have any seats they want to get rid of...the wreckors want $200 for seats that have sat in a yard for who knows how long laugh.gif

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Swap over the seat mounts. you will have to drill a new hole to allow for something i forget what it is. I think it is so you can screw it on. But it works. But the seat will only bolt into 3 holes unless you drill your floor out and tap it. Thats what i did.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (chedda_j @ May 11 2005, 09:31 PM)
Swap over the seat mounts. you will have to drill a new hole to allow for something i forget what it is. I think it is so you can screw it on. But it works. But the seat will only bolt into 3 holes unless you drill your floor out and tap it. Thats what i did.

So you have the 89 crx si seats in your car? How's the headroom...I've heard it's decreased...

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
There are a couple of ways to get 2G CRX seats to fit (I know because I've already tried this).

1) Swap the seat pans:

To do this you will need to seperate the seat from the back, then cut the hog rings holding the seat cover on the seat pan. The bottom side of the seat foam is shaped slightly different from 1G-2G so you will need to cut some of the foam from the 2G in order to get it to fit into the 1G seat pan. This can be done with a serrated bread knife or an electric bread knife. Once you get the 2G foam to fit, you will need to use hog rings and hog ring pliers to re-attach the seat cover.

2) Swap the back:

You can also do what I did, which is to just swap the seat backs and reupholster the seats. The benefit of this method is that it does not change the headroom and it eliminates the seat mounted seatbelt found on the 2G seats.

You would probably want to reupholster the seats anyway, regardless of which method you use, unless you happen to find seats that are in immaculate condition.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that I used '89 SI seats.

Swapping the seats is definitely worth the effort! The 2G seats are alot more comfortable and give more support in the shoulder area.

Edited by lxndr, 12 May 2005 - 01:28 AM.

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
bed time bump....

...discuss... ph34r.gif

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
haha i couldnt really tell any difference. I think its great having the other seats in. and yes i have the the other seats in. Let me find a picture.

sorry its only one. Really really old picture.

heres a new one

Edited by chedda_j, 12 May 2005 - 01:27 AM.

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hahaha..you guys all posted at the same time as my bump...

lxndr: did you do this for the 88/89/90/91 seats, cause I thought there was a difference for the years. (ie 88 & 89 just needed a rail swap?).

chedda_j: Thanks for the pics. That works for seeing the mounts for the cover too. I had those clips...but i broke them in the wreckers before I knew what they were... DOH!

You guys have done it, so I'm not doubting you...just wanna get the facts straight before I buy the seats. I shouldn't HAVE to get them reapolstered...but I have a hook up...so I was going to either way.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Awsome.

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Sorry boyz but theirs a lot of miss information here. Only 88-89 CRX seats will "Bolt in" but only if the 84-87 CRX seat rails are used. The seat pan of a 84-87 CRX are the same as 88-89 CRX's

#2: 90-91 CRX seats can be used only if the intire SEAT PAN from either a 88-89 or 84-87 CRX is used.

This is what confused me. Ballade said this a while ago...89 seats with 87 rails. That's what I'm hoping it'll be.

Any other confirmation?

zeroclearance

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx
OR you could do it the easy way and bolt a peice of metal to the bottom of the seat and then bolt the metal to the old rails, then its still adjustable and everything and you dont have to tear the seat apart. OR if you are the least bit handy at all you could easily made some brackets with a hammer and some metal.

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
i have looked at the stock seats and 91 si seats sid by side. if i am looking at it right the 91 seats will sit lower. however i have yet to have them installed.

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
not sure if it helps but this is how im putting prelude seats into my hatch. just bought some angle steel at metal mart for 6 bucks..

bolted teh angle steel to the original threads

now i just have to drill a h9le for the setas to bolt to the angle steel.

the hatch seats are wider then the crx and prelude seats. i gave my freind my old 1500s seats and the WOULD NOT bolt up into a 87 crx... i was told they would work.. hmm..

hope this helps
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
heres a pic of a civic or crx si form a 88 it was in a 84 hatch when i got it and it has the mounts already.

heres a pic of a 89 crx si as the pass side. this one i did i swaped the rail on the right to the stock hatch then i used the 89 rail and made a bracket for the front of it since there is no bolt hole on it. no pic thogh but 3 out of 4 holes lines up and the forth did after i go tthe piece madeup.

i havent had any head hight issues but im only 5,4 so it never dose. and no pan issues eter.

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thanks for the replys guys.

I'm gonna get the seats..and see what I have to do. I'm not against any pan swap, or using other metal...just the head room thing. I should stop thinking im tall, cause I'm not...but you can't sit all G like on highchairs laugh.gif laugh.gif

oh...bigk3000....clean your car!!! ph34r.gif

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just got the seats tonight. I wasn't going to put them in before they got more/new foam in them....but who could help it laugh.gif

Confirmed....89 crx si seats are a straight rail swap for the crx. They look sweet, and hold ALOT better than the stockers. I'm taking them out so that they can get 'refreshed' at a shop, with new foam for the side supports, but even soft, they're nice... cool.gif