Internal Door Plastic Adhesive?

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

pred8tr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF
OK. I replaced my manual door regulator on the drivers side and now I want to get new plastic for it and put it in. The auto parts store peeps reccomended I use plastic that I can get from the home store called "four mill" but they had no idea what to use as adhesive. Anyone have any ideas? Also, I am open to ideas on plastic if "four mill" is incorrect.

Thanks.

bombayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx dx
silicone?

civic87crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1.87 crx si,currently awaiting a zc...2. 97 toyota previa s/c, boosted DD.
QUOTE (pred8tr @ Apr 22 2005, 08:42 PM)
OK. I replaced my manual door regulator on the drivers side and now I want to get new plastic for it and put it in. The auto parts store peeps reccomended I use plastic that I can get from the home store called "four mill" but they had no idea what to use as adhesive. Anyone have any ideas? Also, I am open to ideas on plastic if "four mill" is incorrect.

Thanks.

Who needs adhesive when there are ZIP TIES! biggrin.gif
87 crx si parts car: Lots of stuff for sale, pm me if you need something....

See My Vouch Thread

pred8tr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (bombayscrx @ Apr 22 2005, 08:51 PM)

Most of the silicone sealants are one-time-use.... This means that when you remove the plastic the first time you will probably destroy it. The stuff from the factory is generally reusable a number of times prior to it "going bad". The Honda stuff seems similar to clay in that it doesn't dry out completely and stays tacky I am looking for something that will perform similarly and not set hard and therefore not be reusable.

Thanks.

zeroclearance

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx
QUOTE (pred8tr @ Apr 22 2005, 08:24 PM)

Most of the silicone sealants are one-time-use.... This means that when you remove the plastic the first time you will probably destroy it. The stuff from the factory is generally reusable a number of times prior to it "going bad". The Honda stuff seems similar to clay in that it doesn't dry out completely and stays tacky I am looking for something that will perform similarly and not set hard and therefore not be reusable.

Thanks.

i forget what the hell its called but you use it under older windsheilds to seal it. You buy it in a flat rool and it looks like a black string but its like rolled up glue. I am pretty sure thats exactly what you are looking for. I use it at work all the time to hold peices down while i paint them but the name of the stuff isnt comeing to me.

Edited by zeroclearance, 22 April 2005 - 10:14 PM.

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
get out some duck tape

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

pred8tr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zeroclearance @ Apr 22 2005, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (pred8tr @ Apr 22 2005, 08:24 PM)

Thanks.

i forget what the hell its called but you use it under older windsheilds to seal it. You buy it in a flat rool and it looks like a black string but its like rolled up glue. I am pretty sure thats exactly what you are looking for. I use it at work all the time to hold peices down while i paint them but the name of the stuff isnt comeing to me.

Thanks. One thing I wonder about though is the stuff from the factory is white and similar to playdoh. Does the stuff you're talking about come in white? Where do you get it? Autozone and Advance had no idea what to reccomend. One person said I am looking for "body putty" though they had no idea where to get it.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (jeff420 @ Apr 22 2005, 09:13 PM)
get out some duck tape

duck tape! ... You're killing me here XD

I'd visit your local hardware store as apposed to an auto store for something like this as they tend to have more glue type materials. Thogh you'd probobly want to avoid stating the application as the employees tend to give up to easyly and send you to an auto shop. Just tell them you are looking for a glue that will not fully harden and remain sticky.

One idea would beto use doublesided tape. You can find that stuff in 1/2" thicknesses at most general perpouse hardware stores, and probobly at many automotive stores too. It holds well, and you'll be able to reaply your material a fiew times provided you are carefull puling the plastick off and keep the tape clean. The tape itself basically comes in 2 forms, you can find it in a foam like white strip, or basically a fabrick weave with glue on both sides (picture duct tape that has two sticky surfaces). The aplication is really streight forward, you tape it to the door, then pull off the wax paper and press the plastick on. If 1/2" stuff is available, that's your best choice, if not... you can buy the 2" wide roll and use a hacksaw to cut through the roll, which is easyer than trying to trim the strip itself.

Cheers

bombayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx dx
i agree with using tape, i mean come on how often are you gunna take your door panels off

zeroclearance

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
the stuff i was talking about only comes in black as far as i know of

i think whoever told you to use body putty doesnt know what they are talking about... thats for filling dents.

Fennec

• I-5 traffic dodger
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Civic 4dr (hibernating), 83 Civic Type S (daily masher)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The stuff that will work for you is called "monkey shit" or "gorilla snot". Funny name laugh.gif But anyways go to your window repair shop or even the auto parts store and ask for it by that name. They will know what you are talking about. This stuff is the black stuff and will stay plyable longer than the honda stuff. The navy uses it for sealing stuff so it's gotta be pretty good.
HONDA: What else is there?
user posted image

user posted image

Buy/Sell with Confidence (vouches)

zeroclearance

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Fennec @ Apr 25 2005, 04:18 AM)
The stuff that will work for you is called "monkey shit" or "gorilla snot".  Funny name laugh.gif But anyways go to your window repair shop or even the auto parts store and ask for it by that name.  They will know what you are talking about.  This stuff is the black stuff and will stay plyable longer than the honda stuff.  The navy uses it for sealing stuff so it's gotta be pretty good.

yes, thats what it is but i was trying to think of the real name

pred8tr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zeroclearance @ Apr 25 2005, 07:07 PM)
The stuff that will work for you is called "monkey shit" or "gorilla snot".  Funny name laugh.gif But anyways go to your window repair shop or even the auto parts store and ask for it by that name.  They will know what you are talking about.  This stuff is the black stuff and will stay plyable longer than the honda stuff.  The navy uses it for sealing stuff so it's gotta be pretty good.

Thanks folks. This looks like what I need. Just FYI I did some searching.... Seems the official name is:

3MŽ Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (8001)

pred8tr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (pred8tr @ Apr 27 2005, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (zeroclearance @ Apr 25 2005, 07:07 PM)

Thanks folks. This looks like what I need. Just FYI I did some searching.... Seems the official name is:

3MŽ Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (8001)

Hey all, I found the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive today at Pepboys believe it or not.... According to the box though it doesn't look like what I need it dries hard. I also found the windshield sealant though, this looks like what I need. Only problem is that it's $15 a box. grrrrrrr.... Anyone know where I could find this stuff cheaper?