The Black Pepper

• You cannot reply to this topic
158 replies to this topic

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
also the ex/si cd player can be found on ebay for $30+- shipped

for now, im satisfied with my 88 accord stereo
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Honda Civic SI 1986
The shop finally called, its going to be $50 for the gas hose patch. I'm just going to mow the lawn a few times and my parents are going to pay that. Thats one thing off my list! smile.gif (too bad its a never ending list. rolleyes.gif )

Haven't gotten the $390 check in the mail yet so I cant buy my brakes yet. Its good, because this gives me more time to think about it.

After doing some reading I think Im going to go ahead and do the Integra brake swap. I may not be able to move fast, but atleast Ill be able to stop fast.

Questions:

1. Are you guys absolutly sure that 1989 Acura Integra LS front brakes will fit behind 13" stock wheels?

2. Im pretty sure on what all I have to get for the swap. I've got rotors, and callipers on the list. The callipers are loaded. I guess that means they already have pads installed? They also include the calliper brackets. I also threw in some brake lines for good measure.

3. With products that have a core valule, does that mean I can take my old parts into advance auto parts and get the core price for them? Or is it one of those, only if you trade/buy type deals?

List for the order:

Raybestos parts:
Front left and right brake hoses $40
Rear left and right brake hoses $20
Brand new Front Integra Callipers, loaded with brackets. $160 (ouch, stupid core price! mad.gif )

Beck/Arnly parts:
Front brake rotors, vented $30
Rear brake drums $25
Rear brake shoes $20
Rear wheel cylinders $30
Air filter $10

Dayco parts:
Alternator belt $8

Total: $330.67 + shipping ~$50

Fun parts:
Spray painting your P.O.S. Oldsmobile and making fun of the street racers on their own turf... $Priceless!

No worries, its just temporary paint, but it was worth a good laugh. biggrin.gif When Im waiting for things to happen, I get bored. I like moving at the speed of as fast as humanly impossible. Im just a really impatient person.

I guess Im going to hold off buying the CD deck.. again. Its not the most important thing on my list. I know I should be trying to find the Integra parts at a junkyard, but I dont have a car that will make it to the closest one yet. (stupid oldsmobile! They suck!) Once my Honda is on the road, I'll be able to explore that possibility a little more. Lemme know what you guys think about the order.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
wow, i would have loved to seen your mom's face when she saw her car spraypainted. ph34r.gif
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (warder @ Sep 14 2006, 12:43 PM)
1. Are you guys absolutly sure that 1989 Acura Integra LS front brakes will fit behind 13" stock wheels?

i am running 88 integra rotors and calipers under my stock 13 inch HF wheels and it is extremely tight. so tight that if one of the heels were to get slightly bent it would rub (not that you would want to run a bent wheel but it's just an example). there have been cases of people not being able to get 13's on with these brakes so it is just a matter of exactly what wheel your using i guess.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Im also going to add spark plugs to the list. The wheels are the stock 1986 Civic SI ones. I hope they fit! If not Im going to cry and have to find some cheap replacements.

About the paint. As soon as I pulled in the driveway my mom yelled out the window. "That better wash off."
The car is about to die anyways so we really dont care about it that much. Its got 210,000 miles on it. And it being an American car... its past the final stretch. I just hope it doesnt die before I can get my car on the road.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (crxls @ Sep 14 2006, 01:14 PM)
i am running 88 integra rotors and calipers under my stock 13 inch HF wheels and it is extremely tight. so tight that if one of the heels were to get slightly bent it would rub (not that you would want to run a bent wheel but it's just an example). there have been cases of people not being able to get 13's on with these brakes so it is just a matter of exactly what wheel your using i guess.

Yeah, it depends on the 13" wheel. My aftermarket bobos (Z Racing) fits alright, I just had to remove the stick-on weights that were hitting the caliper. Basicly I have at or under 1/4" of clearance. Those wheels also clear the rear brakes with about the same clearance once I removed the splash sheilds.

QUOTE (warder @ Sep 14 2006, 01:24 PM)
The wheels are the stock 1986 Civic SI ones. I hope they fit! If not Im going to cry and have to find some cheap replacements.

Are they the steel wheel with hub caps? I may still have 1 or two of my original wheels hiding in a corner of the garage. But if you have alloy I can't help.

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
They're the steel ones with hubcaps. It would be a big help if you could see if they fit. blush.gif

ph34r.gif Why cant they be selling these when I have money for wheels?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats exactly what Im looking for...

Edited by warder, 14 September 2006 - 02:08 PM.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (warder @ Sep 14 2006, 01:56 PM)
They're the steel ones with hubcaps. It would be a big help if you could see if they fit. blush.gif

My steel rim clears the Integra calipers on the front, about the same clearance as my 13" alloy's

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Ok, Thank you so much. Thats a relief. More updates to come.

Im out for now.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (warder @ Sep 14 2006, 01:56 PM)

too expensive, dont waste the money
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
We went to the drag strip last night... EVERY OTHER HONDA HAD THOSE ROTA SLIPSTREAMS! Screw that!

Dan called me! He said hes finally got the title! Thats one step closer to getting the car on the road. The payment for the paintball gun should come soon, so I can order all that stuff. More updates to come.

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Tomorrows a pretty big day.

Im going to be getting that check in the mail.
Going to order my brakes and random stuff.
Going to get my title from Dan.
Going to get the car back from the shop.

After brakes Im going to be looking into suspension work... Anyone know where I can read up on upgrading the suspension? Or any suggestions on what all I should get?

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to say the Oldsmobile blew the lower radiator hose the other day. Antifreeze/coolant steam everywhere. I told my parents we needed to flush the coolant system.... But noooooo sense my uncle is a car salesman he knows all. mad.gif So now I dont have ANY transportation until my car is legal... awesome! ph34r.gif

Edited by warder, 17 September 2006 - 12:17 PM.

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I got my check, Im going to be ordering my brakes and such tonight. BUT, I went to the shop today. I think the guy is trying to cheat me out! Ok so heres the story.

I've driven the car around alot and it ran JUST FINE, no sign of water in the tank or anything. No black smoke or sounding like crap. I take the car over to the shop to get the leak fixed. Its been there a week and a half.

I went in there today to see whats up. The mechanic says "The car wouldnt start when we went to move it into the shop. We put it up on the lift and pulled the gas line off, and the line was full of water. We think the tank is has alot of water in it, and the tank could be rusted on the inside. We can fix the leaks and take the tank out and clean it out and see if that fixes it, if I find anything wrong with the tank I can replace it if you want. It will be $100 to fix the leaks and clean out the gas tank."

I thought that didnt sound right sense I had been driving it around just fine without any problem... My dad pretty much forced me to let him do his job. I told my dad if we were going to leave it there any longer then he was going to have to pay for whatever the guy does to the car. He agreed.

I have a feeling the guy is just making up stuff to charge me for. If it needs a new gas tank Id rather get one and put it in myself. I HATE HAVING TO TRUST OTHER PEOPLES WORDS! But now that we told the guy to go ahead and take the gas tank off and take the water out and clean it, my dad doesnt want me to go back and get the car. Especially sense its soposedly not running... What do you guys think?

Whatever he says whether the tank is good or bad, Im going to replace it with a new one. Add one more thing to the list... mad.gif

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think YOU need to find a tank, and take it up there, this way you can shop around and get the best price. Then when they won't replace the tank that you brought them, you have them sign a contract that for everyday that your car is on their lot "not opperating" you charge them $350 a day. Have a notary with you when you present this.

You won't believe what they will come up with next.

And for you the BBB or chamber of commerce is your allie against bad companies.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well Im not the type of person to start something... Im going to let them do what they do, fix the leak and clean the gas tank out, if they say I need a new tank. Ill just tell them, fine, Ill do it myself. If its there over 5 days Im going to go in and tell them I want the car now and bring a 5 gallon thing of gas and pull the plug on the tank and put the new gas and fuel stablizer in just to be sure, then just leave. This is exactly why I hate dealing with people... dry.gif

Sense my dad said he would pay for the leak fix I dont really mind. I would have either taken the car somewhere else or figured it out myself if I had the choice. If this was my money Id be a little more upset.