80 replies to this topic

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Another option, is to stratigcly drill a hole, or leave the bottom open before you finaly weld it all up, and use some anti-rust protection and spray all in the inside. Like they do with cars inside the rockers and stuff.
Posted Image

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I have decided to not use the "Boxed Void" but rather go with the simple welded in brace across the void method.

Rust protection is not that much of an issue for me, it is pretty dry out here in LA and I keep my car garage 99.9% of the time. I will just use a liberal amount of cheap flat black paint.

I checked with my welder and he is totally "on board" with this project. He is an old hot rodder from the 1950's who has seen it all. When I showed him the example, he knew exactly what I am trying to achieve and mentioned that they used to do something similar when they dropped a small block V8 into Pintos. He told me to just bring the stock to his shop, he will do the cutting for me. He even told me to not worry about taking the old paint off, he will wire brush that off for me. smile.gif

I am using 1/8" x 1 1/2" stock for the end plates and 1" square tube for the cross brace. The only other materiels I will need is a 6 pack of Coors, to lubricate the welder wink.gif.

Tuesday morning I will get the hood, bumper and fenders off and have the CRX at the welder's shop my the early afternoon. It should take less than an hour for him to whip this stuff up.

Now, for my next project.....

The outside mirrors are heavy and not very aerodynamic. I am thinking that a set of lighter, more aerodynamic mirrors would look good on the CRX.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
Hey Scott,

Here's a pic of the mirrors I had on my CRX. They can be found relatively cheap on Ebay or a similar set can be found at www.racerpartswholesale.com.

These mirrors feature long stanchions which help aerodynamics by moving the mirror away from the body of the car, thus leaving the airflow over and around the car somewhat undisturbed. Also, these mirrors weigh almost nothing, they don't even register on my scale! You will need to fabricate a simple plate to mount these mirrors, but the Kakabox thread has info on how to do this.

Here's another shot of the same mirror when I had them mocked-up on my MR2.

Edited by lxndr, 17 March 2008 - 08:50 PM.

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Kakabox mirror: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=195267

stevo911_

• I'm Canadian, Eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2000 Civc Ltd Edition w B16a swap
lxndr, have you got anymore pics of those?

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Thanks for the tips on the mirrors.

Here is a link to the installed fender braces.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function