DarkHand

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Tommy Reynolds @ May 17 2004, 03:19 PM)
Yeah, how can anyone make a lightweight sports car right? Wonder what that Elise thingy is. smile.gif

Or just do like John Z DeLorean plans on doing... if he ever gets funding that is... make the car out of Structural Composites. Very light, VERY strong, you just can't tell when something's breaking on the inside, but ah well.
That, or put a 13l V12 in it, that'll solve any speed problems you may be having! laugh.gif

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
1- dark hand nailed it on the frickin head with the commercial. sell it to honda, make mad bank, then a hefty donation to rpr. same for the prediction of trim levels.
2- awd? we dont need it now or then. we'll still stomp the competition
3- with all the safety stuff and regulations imposed on carmakers today, it will definately weigh more than we want it to.
4- 160 hp? ok. 240 hp k-series stump puller rocketing at crap-your-pants speed? oh yeah baby! two please.
5- to sell a car and appeal to the masses its proly gonna get power everything at least as an option
6- it will proly be a manifestaion of the marketing dept. instead of performance oriented.
7- as bad as i want it to come back too, i doubt it.......sob.....snivel......waaaaaaaaaa :,(

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Tommy Reynolds @ May 17 2004, 02:19 PM)
Yeah, how can anyone make a lightweight sports car right? Wonder what that Elise thingy is. smile.gif

Though the Elise is light, it's made of many special materials and manufacturing methods, and it still is almost 2000lbs in US trim.

If the new CRX is a derivative of the Civic, which is now a fat heavy pig @ 2750lbs, how can they possibly trim enough fat to make a 2000lb CRX.

IMO their only hope is to use the FIT chassis to keep weight down.

The Miata is just under 2400lbs, the MR-S is just under 2200lbs, I just don't see a new CRX getting much lighter.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just doubt Honda could do something that cool.
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

Tommy Reynolds

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 99 Miata (SCCA CSP), 87 CRX Si (Daily Driver)
    • Image Gallery
True. I'm curious as Mazda promises the next gen Miata is going to be light again. We weighed the new 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata at 2530lbs actual weight and dyno'd at 153whp sad.gif . My 1999 Miata in CSP prep is around 2135lbs now and is around 130whp. I'll believe Mazda when I see it...

I completely agree if they do use the Civic chassis you can kiss any sub 2500lbs weight goodbye. Unlike some of you, I'm not focused on the HP rating as adding power isn't usually as hard as shedding weight. I just wonder how likely a 200hp version would be, I would expect it to be close to 160-170hp so for economy and product line structuring.

I really do like that sketch, its RSX'ish in all the right ways but still a CRX-like hatch at the same time.

Simple87Si

im pretty sure if it does come out.. that it will be my daily driver.. and my '87 will be my performance car.. smile.gif
user posted image

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
they should give durrent crx owners a discount...
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

cburnscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Honda CRX Si, 93 Honda Prelude VTEC, 92 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 WT, 96 GMC Suburban SLT 4x4, 98 Acura CL 2.3, 06 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL, 09 Maxima SV, 09 Acura TSX 2.4
Guys,
As an owner of a CRX, I must say, I would love it if they kept the weight down. Unfortunately, it isn't likely. Each year the CRX got heavier, and this version would no doubt do the same. People have already stated the original purpose of the CRX so hopefully Honda will try to remember that. It doens't need to be the fastest car, but handle extremely well and be rev happy.

As for power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise, A/C, ect. they have to be on the car. I personally wouldn't be interested in a car without them as a daily driver. This is why I have a 93 Prelude VTEC instead of a 91 CRX Si. Most of the public not on this forum feels the same way. Look at the Civic EX. Realistically, how much weight do you save not having power windows and locks? I have weighed a power window motor before, and they aren't much. Cruise can be a bit heavy, but really? Anyway, just my two cents, lets hope they make it so we can all critique the good and the bad.

As for my guess on the engine, it would be the base model RSX engine, or at best the RSX type S engine. No more than that. Remember the original CRX used the Integra engine everywhere but here, I think this would be the same. Suspect parts to be shared with the RSX. This is good for us because the aftermarket is already there. Think about it.

firstgencrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Red 1986 Honda Civic Si
I try not to think about it....
Will be dropping a DOHC ZC in my 86 Civic Si when the EW4 dies. That may be a while...
Current upgrades: Integra front brakes; Modified Civic Wagon springs; Lowered; 15"x7" steel rims with Yokohama tires
Parts that I have waiting to be installed: Urethane bushings; Sway bars; Tokiko HP struts and shocks; Strut and shock tower bars
Future Upgrades: DOHC ZC swap (JDM Brown Top); Integra rear disk brakes; Reupholster seats; Repair dents; New paint, likely the same red

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Disco Stu @ May 17 2004, 08:22 PM)
Or just do like John Z DeLorean plans on doing... if he ever gets funding that is...

if he ever gets out of jail that is ph34r.gif
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ May 20 2004, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (Disco Stu @ May 17 2004, 08:22 PM)
Or just do like John Z DeLorean plans on doing... if he ever gets funding that is...

if he ever gets out of jail that is ph34r.gif

*sigh* He never WAS in jail! From my understanding of it, it went down like this:
His company was in trouble, yes. Someone came to him, seeing that he was in financial trouble, and offered him a way out. He agreed, and that's when he got arrested. The COPS offered him the chance to break the law, and he took it and then they arrested him. That's called ENTRAPMENT, and for that, he didn't serve time.

Personally, in my conspiracy theorist mind, I bet it was some of the Big 3 motor companies doing what they could to help set him up, so that they wouldn't have competition. No new car companies really make it anymore. Kia seems to be the exception (I doubt the Scion will last too long).

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
QUOTE (Disco Stu @ May 20 2004, 04:39 PM)
(I doubt the Scion will last too long).

what are you talking about scion is a toyota sub brand

Jordan

• Yea, I drive a POS...so what?
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I believe scion will be around for a while. i really like the tc. but yea, if you wanna chat about that lets make a new thread.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you guys hit the elise on the head exactly..

us trim: 2100lbs..
older euro trim: 1600lbs....

where the heck is the 500 lbs coming from???!!!???!?!!??!?!?!!!

anyways, i stand by my original rant on page two or three...

as for me, i think my next car will be a 2nd gen CRX. i want two of them..

one HF, bone stock for every day driving.. 50 mpg WITHOUT an electric motor.. wow.. and that was 16 years ago!!!!!!!!!!

and two, a b16a Si..
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

More&Faster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si
i heard not too long ago that the fit was definitely coming to the states. i dont remember where, but i remember it being reputable. could be wrong.....the current civic has a bigger interior than the 5g accord though, so ya its gotten fat in its old age. there is definitely room for the fit. seems like it would be better to make the crx off the fit platform. cept they might have to call it an FRX. that would be a sweet car im sure, and it could probably be in the sub 2200 pound range. IMO everything after the 5g civic just crossed the line as far as being a compact like the civic always was.
user posted image