• PipPip
    • Group: Members

epic build..

just can not help to feel a bit sorry for the car :P :P

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
Nah! Don't feel sorry for it. The kid i got it from was about to run it to the grinder.

Right rear mashed and pushed up about an inch.
Right front lower core support caved in.
Patched header panel. Fenders are sweet tho.
Three different colors.
Blown head gasket.
Leaking water pump.
The hail damage on the hood and roof looks like a wild pack of gorillas took turns with a ball peen hammer.

The best part is I traded a twenty year old leaky 1man plastic bass boat and a non running chainsaw for it.... I think he got a good deal.

I think I can get a few years of dirt racing out of it as apposed to recycling it. I really can't think of a better way to go out.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Forward progress. I don't really think this piece is necessary for the booster delete but it does have two usable studs on it.

image_zps70eb431b.jpg

I used one of the long studs for a plunger rod. Not yet cut to length. 4 1/8" was the final length I think.

image_zps5f361fb3.jpg

The last time I tried to left-foot-brake it, I couldn't find the damn pedal. So a larger pedal is needed. To make room, I leaned the clutch to the left.

image_zps6d0cdeeb.jpg

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Used part of the Teg brake pedal.

image_zps64c298e4.jpg

And a bit of diamond plate aluminum. I use it for everything.

image_zpsf2f603b9.jpg

Paint.

image_zps7b8cab57.jpg

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 15 February 2014 - 11:04 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Did a little BFH clearancing on the floor/inner fender to make room for the new clutch pedal location.

28f9e724-0228-4b71-bca4-2558d0597281_zps

Got the M/C installed

cacde954-eacd-4277-94d9-50f7ced70376_zps

And the steering wheel.

8cb02d19-29b1-4474-82bf-abde5363d123_zps

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 10 March 2014 - 11:23 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I stuck the seat in so I can sit in it and make engine sounds. Actually, so my young wifey could pump the brake pedal while I bled them.

2d0f17f1-4c81-4a0d-972c-a8c2493442e7_zps

And just cause I wanted to. I already added a visor at the top of the windshield. It might actually divert some of the rocks and dirt that normally come in the cab during a race.

image_zps23c574db.jpg

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Just some pix. After soaking with engine degreaser and pressure washing. Not the result I hoped for.

image_zpsf69a3ee8.jpg

I really didn't expect to see good numbers. I have questions in another thread.

d423feea-c511-44d9-b245-4af76be1bb84_zps

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 16 February 2014 - 08:38 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Mundane shit really, as I trudge on alone. . . . I am amazed though.

image_zpsd48937e2.jpg

This is my second high mileage (247,000) Honda to disassemble, and honestly, I probably shouldn't have. Monday, I will order Honda bearings and get it back together. March 16 is opening day but I have no disillusioned about getting to run then. Visible wear, but not measureable with a vernier caliper.

image_zpscbe24a65.jpg

I got a drinkin buddy in the mechanic bidness (Toyota now) that can get OEM parts at cost+10% so maybe I won't get sticker shock.

I noticed the rear tranny mount has a bit more rubber (insert your own humor, if you actually read this) as I was prepping for 3M window weld.

image_zps309757e8.jpg

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 10 March 2014 - 11:25 PM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I stole this from the Kakabuild.

image_zps5610bcc4.jpg

More chitty welds.

image_zps11e275c5.jpg

And some foil tape.

image_zpsf111ea78.jpg

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
And viola, all goobered up.

4f80160b-280d-4d5c-ac98-bfb1879c82e4_zps

Especially this one. There didn't seem to be an easy way to do this one but I think it will work. I just kinda formed it up with the foil tape and filled it up. The rear tranny mount should push down under heavy acceleration so I think it will be solid.

2cbfe2eb-ad98-435f-84d5-c965645eab21_zps

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Since I know there are two people interested in this thing, I decided to update a little. Did a "repair panel."

da179353-06e1-4797-8dec-d9df866f674b_zps

Cleaned up the rear end and added a vent.

image_zps106f7084.jpg

IACV delete.

07ab0f9e-23b5-4ab8-b504-9ccea1277b27_zps

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
New bearings and shimmed the oil pump .160". We'll see how that goes. New Gates timing belt.

image_zps161f3ba1.jpg

In the car.

fd431b56-87a6-452d-a7c9-0c1fd5c58865_zps

Found a torn boot and bum outer driver's side CV joint. 2 boot repair kits were gonna be close to $40 so I got a re-man unit from Oreilly's for $52. Exhaust installed. Dash is close to being installed. And now the fun part! Be afraid. be very afraid....

47f2c493-a78f-4ee5-9dee-e37d6e211618_zps

It's not that bad really, just connect the dots. I think thers a good 6 or 8 lbs of spare wire to lose here. Maybe more.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Aight, dishere is yer redneck, dirt track, war tuck.

Translation: I tucked wires.

imagejpg1_zpsa73e443d.jpg

Went ahead and used the CRX radiator for simplicity. The Teg and CRX seemed to be the same thickness but the Teg was a tad wider, whereas, the CRX was an inch or two taller. I re-used the 16" Winnebago pusher fan. With the EW it would only run a couple of seconds and cycle off. I expect about the same from the D16. Current goal is to get the under-dash wiring finished and battery installed in the next couple of days and fuel cell/lines installed this weekend. I've already missed 2 nights this year but theres no races this weekend. I'm shooting for track time on the 13th.

imagejpg2_zpscde61515.jpg

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

Got the throttle and clutch cables in last night.  Installed the dash harness and ECU (not connected to power/switches yet) and decided to check the valve lash.  I still aint buying that this motor has 247,000 on it.....  Cam journals were ridiculously clean.  I'm wishing I had left the Honda bearings in the bottom end.  Probably tighter than the Kings I installed.  Anyway, looks like someone adjusted the intake lifters to .002.  some were a hair tighter but couldn't get a .003 feeler under any of them.  Exhaust were at .006.  one was about .005 so I backed it off.  It ran flawlessly but I went ahead and backed the intakes off to .005.  It WILL run this weekend. 

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Yep, I pulled a retard move.... As usual. For some reason I didn't think the EACV delete threw a code. WRONG! Wiring is not done yet but I found in the FSM that it will throw a 14 code. I just gutted the EACV, removed the solenoid, and wired it in near the ECU. Similar to the ELD. Damn wiring... I know it's jus a race car but I want to keep the CEL happy.

Odds of racing on the 13th are slim. Ain't givin up!