Temperature Help Needed

• You cannot reply to this topic
57 replies to this topic

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
I came home really early before the heat hit at 50-60 mph. That seemed to be the
happiness between the engine running and the wind cooling it off. It was way hot
but did not boil over. Hopefully no permanent damage done.

Knowing what I found out about the last person to touch my car other than myself or King Kaymo, I
have decided to go ahead and learn how to change the timing belt and water pump.

Of course I was the subject of ridicule at our little beach escapade.

Basically, WHY WOULD HE TAKE A CAR LIKE THAT ON A TRIP?!?

How about, BECAUSE MY WIFE WANTED TO TAKE TOO MUCH GDMFing STUFF TO FIT IN HER CAR!
But I didn't say that.

I remained the adult and was like, well, I thought it would be OK, it was running perfect last week.
Well it gives them something to talk about other than the cars I have in the yard, which is unclear to me
if they know about for sure (other than the POS Dx I cut up for frame parts).

Oh the stories life can give! If only I was the epic poet with my adventures, like CDBSCOTT. That man can write!

Judohawk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Why would I take a car like this on a trip?

Because it's a mother****ing CRX *****!

lmao jk

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
more like

BECAUSE ITS MY MOTHERFCKING CRX!
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 Honda civic, fuel injected
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Condor @ Jun 19 2011, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I came home really early before the heat hit at 50-60 mph. That seemed to be the
happiness between the engine running and the wind cooling it off. It was way hot
but did not boil over. Hopefully no permanent damage done.

Knowing what I found out about the last person to touch my car other than myself or King Kaymo, I
have decided to go ahead and learn how to change the timing belt and water pump.

Of course I was the subject of ridicule at our little beach escapade.

Basically, WHY WOULD HE TAKE A CAR LIKE THAT ON A TRIP?!?

How about, BECAUSE MY WIFE WANTED TO TAKE TOO MUCH GDMFing STUFF TO FIT IN HER CAR!
But I didn't say that.

I remained the adult and was like, well, I thought it would be OK, it was running perfect last week.
Well it gives them something to talk about other than the cars I have in the yard, which is unclear to me
if they know about for sure (other than the POS Dx I cut up for frame parts).

Oh the stories life can give! If only I was the epic poet with my adventures, like CDBSCOTT. That man can write!

lol, so much for driving light , huh?, lol actually...a friend of mines alternator went out about 3 weeks ago caused he towed a trailer too much....extra weight can definately put a strain on a cars motor.....

Driving down the road, stereo cranked !!!

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Do I put any gasket stuff on the rubber gasket to the water pump?

It seems the aftermarket manual said to do so, but, it is generic, probably wrongly refering to
a paper gasket. I have the rubber. I have the good manual it didn't mention it but I was wondering
if you had real world experience that said to put gasket stuff?

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
No sealer is needed for the rubber gasket- just be sure the block's mating surface is shiny clean.

So how did the water pump look? Was the impeller still there? Or was it mostly corroded away?

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I do not know yet. Car has been sitting I picked another from our "fleet" if that is what you want to call it lol.

I plan to get to it tomorrow. I can't do anything during the week anymore.

IFiteWhatUFear

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1984 CRX 1.5, 2005 Jeep Wrangler
Hey im currently experiencing the same problem, i JUST got this car from a friend a few days ago and been fixing the car since, except while driving my temp guage reads just below the "H"... and while idling it slowly creeps up higher, temp solution is always crank the heat up in the car, that will keep the engine from overheating... i had t odo that today in the near 90 degree weather it sucked. SOLUTION: i'll be doing tomorrow is, remove the guage temp sensor from the head and put it in a cup of hat water(around 180-200 degrees) with a thermometer that is able to read that high and compare what the temp is to what the guage on the dash reads and then you'll know if the guage is reading correctly, it should be between 45-55% on the guage if the water temp is 180 degrees! then you know if theres really a problem with ur coolant system not working correctly or if its just the guage... i'll post my findings tomorrow with some pics because pics are always helpful to others smile.gif

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I measured the temp sensor at the head electronically before it was overheating to be 165F
at the outside of the sensor. (presumably then the coolant inside would be more warm, plus
my device could be some off)
The guage reading in the car was just below half and holding steady.

This is the most worrisome part to me.

I then go on a trip and two hours later I overheat big time.
Did my sensor all of a sudden fail????
I doubt it but I ordered a new one at Advance for $10.
I am very skeptical of the solution though. I mean it COULD be that it failed so mysteriously
at that exact moment. It IS possible. But it is very improbable.

I needed to learn how to do the waterpump and timing belt anyway. However, they did look fine.

I'm actually a bit worried on this one.

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
I should have read your post earlier regarding the overheating issue. I've found the different style of pump impeller and posted the image and part numbers in the dx/hf half rad thread. The only tricks on R&R'ing the T belt and pump are cam timing and pulley removal. The rest is just getting the belts off and inspection cover off.

BTW the different style impeller pump is just as cheap as any of the aftermarket pumps. The belt and pump were less than $50 shipped from Rockauto.com

Hopefully this will cure our issues.

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I ran across all that info you posted and it was great.
I looked at all the photos. It appeared like the OEM part had the star type impeller.
I have ordered the exact kind but bosche. (closeout I think for $30)
I didn't even see the round spiral kind.

So in all honestly I am not sure how to proceed but I tell you I need to get this thing fixed.
1. to drive it obviously this is actually my main car,
2. i get the "no confidence vote" from the wife,
3. ridicule from the wife's family, and
4. I finally have professional help to get my AC fixed and he wants to move on it.

QUOTE (hondaguy72 @ Jun 29 2011, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I should have read your post earlier regarding the overheating issue. I've found the different style of pump impeller and posted the image and part numbers in the dx/hf half rad thread. The only tricks on R&R'ing the T belt and pump are cam timing and pulley removal. The rest is just getting the belts off and inspection cover off.

BTW the different style impeller pump is just as cheap as any of the aftermarket pumps. The belt and pump were less than $50 shipped from Rockauto.com

Hopefully this will cure our issues.

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I see now the cardone one is a different design.

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 Honda civic, fuel injected
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Condor @ Jun 29 2011, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I measured the temp sensor at the head electronically before it was overheating to be 165F
at the outside of the sensor. (presumably then the coolant inside would be more warm, plus
my device could be some off)
The guage reading in the car was just below half and holding steady.

This is the most worrisome part to me.

I then go on a trip and two hours later I overheat big time.
Did my sensor all of a sudden fail????
I doubt it but I ordered a new one at Advance for $10.
I am very skeptical of the solution though. I mean it COULD be that it failed so mysteriously
at that exact moment. It IS possible. But it is very improbable.

I needed to learn how to do the waterpump and timing belt anyway. However, they did look fine.

I'm actually a bit worried on this one.

I believe failed circulation or backflow might have caused the car to overheat.....sometimes the coolent gradually...and slowly creeps into the overflow..but not back..slamming on the brakes after being on the highway or something coulda messed up the internal coolent flow.....of course there could also be a pressure failure somewhere in the cooling system that only happens when the coolent system gets hot and expands and makes a slight/small leak/breach somewhere....this sounds logical to me.....I had a similar prob. on my last crix...

Driving down the road, stereo cranked !!!