Are You Going To Vote?

• You cannot reply to this topic
70 replies to this topic

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx si, 86 crx dx (deceased)
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Oct 25 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can not exercise my "liberty" to disregard red traffic lights, can I?

If the system is flawed, how do we fix it? Withdrawal is not the answer

lol. what liberty? who says you can run reds? thats exactly like saying " I can not exercise my "liberty" to kill people, can I?" No, the video says I can't kill people, and the law says you can't run reds.

If the system is flawed?! Are you talking about that video? You put forth a weak argument to show that it is. Well is it or isn't it?

oldrexer

• Gonna go Sith
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99 Q45T, 90 E250, 94 Aerostar, 87 Crx Si, 73 Krager Kustom Koach,68 BMW 1600, Vista FV, Margay Brava KT-100, 77 KZ650B, 72 Raleigh Professional, 66 Schwinn Panther, etc.
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Oct 25 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can not exercise my "liberty" to disregard red traffic lights, can I?

My father told me something once that took a long time to sink in. When it finally did, my whole existence changed. My liberty also increased.

Here is what he said.

You do not HAVE TO DO ANYTHING, except, accept responsibility for anything that you do or do not do.

So, yes you can exercise your "liberty" to run reds if you are willing to accept the responsibility of the consequences.

Remember the collective or government is GIVEN authority it does not magically appear by their existence. The true liberty in the the video is about self ownership and self rule. It also covers cooperation in defensive situations, but never cooperation in oppressive or offensive situations. Seems pretty clear to me that we can not get together and give some one (or group) rights that we do not have ourselves already or we are oppressing someones liberty.

It is like the postulate I posted previously: If I take some of your property without your approval, it is theft. If I get together with a bunch of buddies (government) and decide to take some of your property without your approval, it is still theft.

My plan is to move. But in addition to that, I will be preparing for when the wagon stops or is intentionally turned over. Wagon...what wagon? I consider the whole world a wagon. You are either pulling the wagon or riding in the wagon. GET OUT OF THE WAGON!!!! (not anyone personally, just in general). When there are not enough people left that are pulling the wagon, IT WILL STOP. Or maybe before that the people pulling the wagon will turn it over and dump all the riders out and start over. So when the wagon gets the reboot, I will be the one who answers the questions, how do I get food, how do I maintain sanitary conditions, how do I make my own electricity, how do I protect my family and property, and so on and so on. I would call that a pretty good plan to improve my community. Albeit agreed a little longer in scope that and once every four year election, but I have always been a big picture kind of thinker.

Back to the DRIVEWAY

Ha! GOTCHA

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
So if you use goods and services that you do not pay for... that is stealing.

If you decide that you do not want the "government" to tell you what goods and services to pay for, that is also stealing.

And I am sure that you can list all of the government goods and services that you "do not use."

So if at some point, you need a hospital or a road to drive to the hospital, or a doctor who has been educated at a public university.... then you will be happy to build a hospital, pave a road and educate a doctor in the 15 minutes that will be the difference between life and death.

I am all for that Rugged Individualist BS, it makes for a good Cowboy Movie. But the reality is that No Man Is An Island.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

oldrexer

• Gonna go Sith
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 99 Q45T, 90 E250, 94 Aerostar, 87 Crx Si, 73 Krager Kustom Koach,68 BMW 1600, Vista FV, Margay Brava KT-100, 77 KZ650B, 72 Raleigh Professional, 66 Schwinn Panther, etc.
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Oct 25 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if you use goods and services that you do not pay for... that is stealing.

If you decide that you do not want the "government" to tell you what goods and services to pay for, that is also stealing.

And I am sure that you can list all of the government goods and services that you "do not use."

So if at some point, you need a hospital or a road to drive to the hospital, or a doctor who has been educated at a public university.... then you will be happy to build a hospital, pave a road and educate a doctor in the 15 minutes that will be the difference between life and death.

I am all for that Rugged Individualist BS, it makes for a good Cowboy Movie. But the reality is that No Man Is An Island.

Scott

Strawman built, ignited and burned up.

Anyboby else want to play with him.

He ceases to provide adequate entertainment.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (oldrexer @ Oct 25 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are the questions too hard to answer or are you just giving up?

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

oldrexer

• Gonna go Sith
  • PipPip
QUOTE (oldrexer @ Oct 25 2008, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strawman built, ignited and burned up.

Anyboby else want to play with him.

Comprende STRAWMAN?

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (oldrexer @ Oct 26 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Comprende STRAWMAN?

"A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position"

QUOTE (oldrexer)
It is like the postulate I posted previously: If I take some of your property without your approval, it is theft. If I get together with a bunch of buddies (government) and decide to take some of your property without your approval, it is still theft.

So what portion of your property is OK for governemental use? Any? None?

If none is the answer, then my question in the form of an anology about the hospital, etc. is a legitmate question and not a misrepresentation of your position.

If there is a portion of your property that is OK to be taken for governmental usage, can you quantify that usage?

As a species, we are all richer for cooperative behavior. It is stealing when someone benefits from the coopeative behavior, yet does not contribute to the greater good.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

CarolinaCRX

• But Honey, these little cars keep following me home!!
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX/HF 5spd-Restoration almost finished, 1986 CRX DX 5spd, and other vehicles/toys
I am happy to say I took the time to vote..............for the disabled veteran and his winky partner. In seven days we will know who won (I hope)..............either way we get %!#$& without a kiss. huh.gif
Every day of life is a gift...........live it that way.

VaporParanoia

• Low Budget Billionaire
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,05 Honda CRV, My Wife Up a Wall
I would have voted if it would actually counted toward or influenced my state's electoral votes. If I was going to be in the state I would vote on voting day, but since i'm not and my absentee ballots arrived later than I expected I never returned them.

I have a lot of qualms about the antiquity of the voting system in America. Unless you guys want to hear them I'll save them for the proper time and place.

I think that everyone should be given the opportunity to vote and let their vote count.... but maybe thats because I'm a radical muslim tongue.gif
"Horsepower sets how fast you hit the wall. Torque sets the size of the hole."

"... the motor car was poetry and tragedy, love and heroism." - Sinclair Lewis

Your car is an eminently replaceable mass production inanimate object that doesn't give a fuck about you.

"...Twas hard the woeful words to frame; To break the ties that bound us; But harder still to bear the shame; Of foreign chains around us..." - Robert Dwyer Joyce

86hamstersi

• Get a job loser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1980 yamaha qt50, 2007 civic si sedan(wife's)
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (VaporParanoia @ Oct 28 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have voted if it would actually counted toward or influenced my state's electoral votes. If I was going to be in the state I would vote on voting day, but since i'm not and my absentee ballots arrived later than I expected I never returned them.

I have a lot of qualms about the antiquity of the voting system in America. Unless you guys want to hear them I'll save them for the proper time and place.

I think that everyone should be given the opportunity to vote and let their vote count.... but maybe thats because I'm a radical muslim tongue.gif

Sorry for getting off topic but where in arlington are you.
A grown up living with their parents is a loser.

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
I drove 8 hours round trip last night after work to hear Obama's speech in Norfolk VA. My friend was dying to go so I did it really for her but it was a nice thing. he kinda inspires you.

ChrisF-dude