←  Off-Topic

Red Pepper Racing

»

Stepson's Sentra

Sgt. Pepper's Photo Sgt. Pepper 02 Feb 2009

Yea, still not sure what's going on with it. His dad was over to discuss it with his mom - I stayed out of it (I was busy changing the oil in the Jeep and the Hyundai). Not sure of the outcome, but either way it still needs to be fixed. Other than this ongoing problem, I think it's still a decent car - not for me though.

Sgt. Pepper's Photo Sgt. Pepper 02 Feb 2009

I guess he's getting a VW Golf and we are going to fix the Sentra as cheaply as possible and unload it. Not my decision or choice, but whatever.

Sgt. Pepper's Photo Sgt. Pepper 12 Mar 2009

I just replaced the distributor and it made no difference. When you turn the key, nothing. No click, nothing. The radio and lights work and the battery shows 12.25 volts. What next, starter?

I gotta get this fixed and get it out of my driveway.

RARECRX's Photo RARECRX 12 Mar 2009

QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Mar 12 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just replaced the distributor and it made no difference. When you turn the key, nothing. No click, nothing. The radio and lights work and the battery shows 12.25 volts. What next, starter?

I gotta get this fixed and get it out of my driveway.

.. If it is not the starter it has to be the ignition tumbler. My wifes 98 200SX (same car basically) had a problem where it would not click or anything but all power worked.. It started slowly fading from a weird pushing up while turning the key to start it, to REALLY pushing it up while turning to just a fail. The ignition tumbler was really cheap less than $100. Just a suggestion.

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Mar 12 2009, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.. If it is not the starter it has to be the ignition tumbler. My wifes 98 200SX (same car basically) had a problem where it would not click or anything but all power worked.. It started slowly fading from a weird pushing up while turning the key to start it, to REALLY pushing it up while turning to just a fail. The ignition tumbler was really cheap less than $100. Just a suggestion.

In the steering column? Where the key goes? That tumbler?

QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Mar 12 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the steering column? Where the key goes? That tumbler?

Yup.. That one.. that damn thing cause me many a heartache lol..

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Mar 12 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup.. That one.. that damn thing cause me many a heartache lol..

Hard to replace? Need a new key?

QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Mar 12 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hard to replace? Need a new key?

very simple to replace I don't recall needing a new key at all, but that was like 6 years ago when I changed it out and I kind of deleted that car out of my mechanical database.. It was a quick job though not hard at all..

Sgt. Pepper's Photo Sgt. Pepper 06 May 2009

Well, today I replaced the starter and charged the battery. Started right up. Changed the oil and filters and now she just needs to be cleaned and detailed and put on the market. biggrin.gif

crxls's Photo crxls 06 May 2009

QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ May 6 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, today I replaced the starter and charged the battery. Started right up. Changed the oil and filters and now she just needs to be cleaned and detailed and put on the market. biggrin.gif

can you give me some specifics and a price? my friend is getting rid of his 2006 toyota tacoma to get out of the payments. i hooked him up with a killer deal on my old ranger a few weeks ago as a beater to get him to work and stuff but he is still looking for something fairly cheap and reliable as a main car for his wife and kids to get around in.