'86 Si Grrrrrrr

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Sorry I wasn't able to get you pictures. I found my problem and decided to go further into the motor and found serious engine damage.... which meant I was busy doing a head job right up until I went camping, hence my absense.

However, I do have the Devac pictures for you:

You need to remove the small and large hoses that lead from the black box to the intake manifold and plug the ports on the manifold itself. If you don't have AC, there should be two plugs readily available right near the middle of the manifold.... there are two that plug a pipe that is unused on non-AC cars. For the larger, I used a 3/8 fuel line and an appropriate sized bolt.

After that, you can remove the three colour coded hoses from the ports under the manifold, yellow, blue, and red. Blue is a throttle dampener diaphram, yellow is cold timing advance, and red is the charcoal canister. Its summer and about 25 degrees Celsius out, and the car doesn't have a fast idle (further modifications have been done to cancel out the fast idle valve) and the motor still runs well.

At the very least you can remove the lines to see if it makes a difference. You need to keep the black box electrical connectors on to prevent throwing a code, or you can open the box and remove the valve that needs to be retained. I have seen it, but not done it, so I have no further information.

Now, having read your posts, 55-60psi fuel pressure is waaaay too high. I would check for a restricted return line (both steel and rubber) as well as your fuel pressure regulator.

Keep us updated.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX with Si Swap
Rampage-

THanks for the devac pics, I'll try that tommorow. As for the injector on #3 cylinder and the bad compression.....I think I'm pulling the head off tommorow after i try the devac. But I still think compression is bad and causing it to run like ass. Thanks for the help.
It's pretty good for what it is.

phuber

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI, 03 RSX, 03 CRV
I had a similar problem and found the solution to be replacement of the temperature sensor.

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (phuber @ Sep 3 2006, 11:19 PM)
I had a similar problem and found the solution to be replacement of the temperature sensor.

I've already tried that....no go.

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
UPDATE!!! SHE RUNS!!!! Turns out, when we put the new head on, I set the crank pulley to the middle of the three hashes for timing. Moved it to the TDC mark and she fired right up (sorry scott lol). Just gotta put everything back together and set the timing. Thanks for all the help.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Good to hear! When I did the head job on my motor I had some advice from a seasoned vet for guidance, and he said that was a very common mistake. Of course we make mistakes so that we can learn from them. Like not de-vaccing my motor and missing the obvious problem for over a year. Have fun!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Got the timing all dialed in and this car runs beautifuly. Such a releif to have this car on the road. Thanks guys

mordantly

• www.morrobaycyclery.com
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '90 Isuzu Impulse XS-Lotus Tuned, '94 Civic LX-EG8 (RIP 05 SEP 2009), '71 SL350-K1, '82 CM450E, '72 Yami LT2, '75 Yami DT400B, '02 cobra racing 50cc
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Rampage @ Sep 9 2006, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to hear! When I did the head job on my motor I had some advice from a seasoned vet for guidance, and he said that was a very common mistake. Of course we make mistakes so that we can learn from them. Like not de-vaccing my motor and missing the obvious problem for over a year. Have fun!

Cheers,
Mark

lucky frickers.. you don't have to worry about emissions or do they not care how you do it as long as the pipe blow clean??

Callyfornia when they have their way at smog, tells me ANY mod that is not OEM except my headers and coil that have eo #s is a FAIL. So why can't I have different cams, adj gears, adj fpr, larger fuel rail, etc?? It's not like she doesn't blow lemon fresh scent.

how does the motor perform without the control box? I have the cold adv plugged as my PG7 holds the valve open all the time, so I'm aware of crappy COLD performance. What else is lost? The idle control, part of the charcoal filter or whatever the hell that is.. did you remove all those too??

Edited by mordantly, 07 January 2007 - 01:53 PM.

MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]
1987 CRX SI D15A3 Goal: <12 Sec 1/4

QUOTE (cbstdscott)
There is no replacement for displacement... but dicking with the bottom end of a Honda is not very productive. Put your energy into the head, that is where power is made.

...Dicking with the vacuum lines is not how you adjust ignition timing. That requires loosening the three bolts that hold the distributor and twisting on it.

Scott