The 6th Cf Hood

• You cannot reply to this topic
99 replies to this topic

whatdahieu

• whatdahieu
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 95 Ford Ranger & 87 CRX Si
Hhmm that is a good damn deal I think and it will still use the stock hood latch and factory hinges. Man, I need to get my hands on some more cash!

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
my dad's gettin a bit ancy because he just got the 300$ charge on his credit card and we have no hood. i tried to tell him that you were workin on it, but he'd really like to see some kinda progress. i know there've been several obstacles, and i'm not trying to say that haven't been doing all that you can, but from his point of view there is a problem. can't wait biggrin.gif
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
No kidding, I can't wait either....

Ghostone, got your dough, thanks!

As far as progress goes, the hood was dropped off last Wed...so it has only been one week at Sunny's...I will inquire about progress in one more week. He seemed pretty cool about doing it, but I am being honest when I say this industry sucks for laggers. I still need to figure out where I am going to get boxes and how I am going to package them fool-proof-ly.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
i have the perfect package for my hood ... my car

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
stirefoam, bubble wrap and wooden boxs are your friend

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
Ok, so I reviewed all 6 threads like a good little member. If I may recap all the highlights for the benefit of CRX-kind and my own understanding:

-CF hood & header panel, 1 piece design
-Retains OE mini-grille on the header, but end user must mount their original to the CF unit.
-retains factory latch, hood pins recommended in addition to that?
-mounts to factory hinges
-no ZC bulge
-no emblem or squirter holes

My only real beef is with the hood pins. I didn't notice any additional comments in the 100's of posts after about thread 3, so I'll voice my .02. Hopefully it's already been addressed with Sunny, if not maybe it's not too late to do so.

I'm sure some like the "tuner look" of hood pins, but I do not like to draw un-necessary attention to my ride especially when the under-hood contents are worth more than the whole car. To me, hood pins scream "ATTN: Thieves, there is something under here that you want. Steal the whole car!"

I didn't see anything about webbing underneath to keep it from deforming or flopping with high velocity wind/pressure. If you're using the factory underside as part of the mold, excellent - no high velocity deformation. Also, the lateral webbing span across the hood catch area should be rigid enough to eliminate the notion of hood pins. That brings to mind the adjustable rubber-bumpers to match set the closing height to the fenders...nevermind that for now.

One more thing, aren't you going to have to fab. a steel hood catch like the factory unit to lay into the CF? If I may make a suggestion, mount the latch to a small, wide plate that will span more area laterally to ensure that it won't pull out. Seems like common sense, but you'd have some angry people if the catch pulled out of the CF.

I give you major credit for going through with this venture. Can't wait to see a finished unit!!!

-TJ (by the way, thanks again for the cover - clean complete and flawless. My '90 thanks you as well).

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Well, the question of hood pins has been ever present since the dawn od CF hoods on Hondas. While there are more than a few makers, and some claim hood pins are not needed, I am going to go out on a limb and say that they are ALL recommended to be used. Sunny is not known for being the strongest hood available, so hood pins are suggested here especially.

As far as attracting theives goes, don't you think having a CF hood in the first place gives the car that "look at me" tuner look? I am not contesting your point, and I would rather not have them either...but hey, such is life.

The problem with strength comes from where the latch and under-skeleton is bonded to the hood itself. When that bond is weak the hood separates from the skeleton and you get a problem. The skeleton on these hoods will be a mimic of the OEM structure, so it itself will be strong enough, but I would suggest some kind of pins to be safe.

There are also other types of fasteners available that are more decrete than the standard Sparco type ones.....I even saw a set that was black, and flush mounting with a lock cylinder on them. Real low profile and secure.....

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
Heh heh, if I get one, I'll be painting it to maintain the sleeper aspect.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
i was going topaint my hood too but i cant justify spray painting a cf hood i guess i am not that hardcore after all

Edited by Ghost-One, 29 May 2003 - 03:55 PM.

Simple87Si

im not painting it unless it has some broken weaves.. ph34r.gif
user posted image

ol'skoolrex_PH

• Street Racer
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Ballade CRX, 87 CRX Si, 95 Civic
no plans on painting mine... I duno where you guys live that you're so paranoid about people trying to steel your G1 CRXs... I've had hoodpins on my fiberglass hood on my CRX for almost a year and no one has messed with it.
only reason I would paint mine is if the carbon fiber looked crappy with the charcoal paint I have.

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm considering painting most of mine, but leaving the center of the hood black. Artistic representatin by yoinking one graphic and butchering it:

Small edit, just changing the pic to reflect what I hope to paint my car when it's all done biggrin.gif

Edited by Disco Stu, 01 June 2003 - 05:11 PM.

ZcSi CRX

• STR8JKIT*MNTLCASE
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 91 crx, 95hardbody, 93 hardbody 4x4
you can use Dzus fasteners. they are flush mount and arn't hard to install. you can get them from Summit and places of that sort. .02

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
Any more updates or pics?

Everyone paid up?
DM
PHX, AZ

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Most everyone has paid, except one guy who needs to pay 1/2....I got a bunch of extra hoods too though so I am going to have to pay for like 6-7 hoods on my own (OUCH!).

No updates yet, except that they were scheduled to be done tomorrow, and then I should know more about it. If they are done this week, I will be picking them up next Mon and shipping should be happening by the end of that week. I am only going to be able to send them out as I get hood boxes, which I am taking frm some local body shops. I am going to get sme extra packing materials too, and I really hope here are no incidences.