• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx
you should do a high comp. set up
that thing will be sick!
Maybe around 11.5 comp nitrous =D

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I could do the high comp thing but that wouldn't be as simple- I'd started this build (before making this thread) with the intent to just drop in the Si motor and trans without doing anything to them... here I am rebuilding it just because I couldn't resist taking a look under the head rolleyes.gif IF I did swap pistons, I would want to swap rod bolts for the long run, then I'd want to swap heads to dohc, then I'd have to figure out what to do about a manifold/carb or going FI, if I went FI I'd go with megasquirt, and then if I went through all that trouble, I'd want to go turbo for sure, then I might as well just swap to D16a1 for the option of going with aftermarket rods and having a bigger clutch, then I might as well buy the hasport kit to swap in a modern D engine because they're easier to come by and have even better clutch options...................................... so you see, if I don't stop here, I'll go on an endless spree of wasteful spending and I'd rather be driving my car for a change! I did that with the B series hatch, the speed was worth the effort, but it cost way too much of my time and effort to do that again! Now look what you made me do! I just spent the last 5 minutes ranting! I'm still looking into nitrous/turbo as a possibility but I'm not there yet.

Now for an update!
I've been short on time lately since I just finished finals, everyone I know seems to have a demand for every minute of my potential free time, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my EG's head (bent valves, not my fault!), and I am a terrible procrastinator.
I think I have all of the parts that I need to finish the motor (except the valve stem seals since an x-coworker walked off with them) so I've gotten the mindset of getting the motor together asap.

Today I
-cleaned the pistons I really wish I took before pictures because they looked terrible before I got to them! Purple power does wonders on nasty pistons!!!
-installed new piston rings
-cleaned the corrosion protector off of the crank (had it polished)
-installed one piston (it is/was mothers' day, had to stop at some point)

To do tomorrow or this week:
-install other 3 pistons
-assemble bottom end
-replace oil cooler gasket, I have one but it may not work- I'll find out soon and report

This week:
-buy break in oil- I'm thinking rotella? and I think I have a few spare oil filters
-gasket match head/manifolds
-port intake manifold and decide what course of action to use regarding CVCC ports
-assemble head, adjust valves, and install
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
My best advice- Don't assume anything is good! wink.gif

And let me know if you eventually choose Delta for the cam, they are actually not too far from my house!
Build Thread- Here

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
sooo you're saying I'd better send my cam to Delta for a regrind just to be safe? biggrin.gif

No progress to mention since my last post- my boss is out on medical absence so I haven't had an opportunity to get to work on this... or setting up my transcript transfers to the colleges I'm applying to. SOB, they're all plotting against me!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Ok, so you remember how I was gonna make some progress the following day and/or that week of my previous post... funny story about that; nothing got done- at all.
Work took a big dump... a load of business fell on my shoulders and I got nothing done BUT I'm free tomorrow! Pics to follow.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

pistons in, waiting for new thrust washers since one magically disappeared dry.gif

the pistons were as filthy as they come, huge amount of carbon build up... purple power cut through it like butter!

these are the 205-50-15's waiting for me at work yum

aaand fk it, a picture of my EG at the track on the 175-50-13's

Next time I'm paying someone to build the motor for me! This is way too time consuming for my schedule

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Assembled almost all of the rotating assembly last night, minus crank pully/front stuff and the clutch/fly

The engine already isn't as clean I'd started to go for but I don't think I care anymore, I want to drive the car already! It has to be ready by June 25 for the Dallas (RPR-GSR) meet!

Didn't snap pictures of the final product just yet, but it isn't exactly final yet.

I hope to report back soon with pictures of the poly filled mounts (60a)

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Denim dust cover wink.gif pondering what I'll do about the 'black box' thinking about putting a freeze plug in there.

letting some oil soak the area while it waits for the head. Using Delo 400 for break in wink.gif

2/3 mounts with polyurethane in them today, set in the sun to cure. I used Loctite premium advanced.... adhesive...something, anyway, it's rated 60a but it is ugly so I'll sand it down once it's cured and consider some kind of paint - Thanks to Sinic for the idea!

Sinic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 04 STi, 00 STi RHD, 07 TL

Kind of a freaky pic. Rapture!

Why when I need tires I aways leave with primewells and you leave with those? I'm going to want a set of those for my 18s.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Assembling the head.... note Si inner springs, DX outters

FP gasket on- thinking about freeze plugging the black box...

aaand it is FINALLY mounted!

still quite a bit of work to do!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
welp, I have the whole engine bay assembled.... but upon my first cranking, I've discovered that my NEW 'HONDA' oil cooler sandwich plate 'O' ring is leaking. Not sure if I installed it incorrectly or if the O ring just failed. Pics of current progress and driving vids soon to come.

BNuts86DX

QUOTE (zakats @ May 21 2011, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OFF TOPIC ALERT:

Sick rims man! I got the same ones on my 86 DX, but in white!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks, I think they look better in white. Haha, we have a similar scheme between your hatch and my coupe if only I painted my vw's white! Welcome to the site, looks like you're fairly new.

Thanks for waking me up, I need a reminder to post an update.

The car is running but the carburetor, it seems, is causing it to run like total shit. I'm both in the process of buying a CDM carb/intake which is much better suited to my purposes and rebuilding another USDM carb. The first one I attempted rebuilding is running incredibly rich and the idle is very unsteady- rather than put more time into that carburetor, I acquired two rebuildables from badpenny at the GSR meet last weekend since mine is a 1.3 liter model and has a much smaller primary barrel.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks to Chedda_j, I now own two CDM carbs that will, hopefully, end my carb woes.
Status as of earlier today,: I have the manifold, carb, and spacer cleaned; a new gasket cut; the carburetor installed- after adding coolant and gas, I should be ready for a test!
Say a prayer for me!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
And it has been a long time since my last update!
I finally installed the rear tokicos and Chedda_j's shock tower bushings- nice stuff btw! I've done a lot of miscellaneous cleaning and interior fit/finish, not really worth posting pictures just yet.

CDM carbs didn't quite work out... my latest escapade can be seen here. I hope this solves my fuel issue and I can get this old piece of tin back on it's feet, I'm tired of having it as a garage queen!

(and now to get back to the garage so I can finish painting my Camry's new door handle... they ALWAYS break! Seriously, have a look at a dozen late 90's Camry's and you'll find several broken handles)