Straman Spyder #103 Restore

• You cannot reply to this topic
45 replies to this topic

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
QUOTE (WOLFCRX @ Sep 8 2008, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of the car is all put back together, I still need to install the carpet, convertible top and the new rear plastic.

Here are some pictures of the outcome.

1. Newly texture coated rear 85 Si wing with wiper delete.

2. I found an 87 crx in the junkyard with 87,000 miles on it and the interior was showroom quality, I bought it all.

3. freshly upholstered sun visors and headliner with a new lighted mirror.

4. Working Digi Dash, bad quality picture sorry.

Doug

1. did the coting fix the cracks? what type of bed liner did you use?

2. shut up

3. is the mirror coach factory install

4. shut up, lol

great work Doug!
im jealous

ps: how is the engine doing?

trent
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (84b18 @ Sep 8 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. did the coting fix the cracks? what type of bed liner did you use?

2. shut up

3. is the mirror coach factory install

4. shut up, lol

great work Doug!
im jealous

ps: how is the engine doing?

trent

1. The coating did fix the cracks and it looks great, I am waiting for it to get good and cured before I say how great it is. It looks great and has been flexible so far but has not baked in the sun yet so we'll see.

2. smile.gif

3.I sorced the mirror out of a toyota Celica convertible in the junkyard, I then swapped the mirror itself to the honda mirror.

4. biggrin.gif

Doug
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

GLHS988

• Spyder-Man
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX Spyder, 1987 Shelby GLHS, 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT
QUOTE (WOLFCRX @ Sep 8 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of the car is all put back together, I still need to install the carpet, convertible top and the new rear plastic.

Here are some pictures of the outcome.

Doug

Doug,

Incredible amount of work accomplished. Just 8 days ago, I was seeing an almost stripped car with just a front clip, drivetrain, steering wheel, and a bunch of wires. Pretty remarkable that you could get the car the car this much together in just your spare time! Congratulations!

Warren
A WarrenTee is better than a guarantee. This WarrenTee is for life.

"I never thought about dying. The day you were born, it was already written down the day you're gonna check out. Now, I'm not gonna throw myself under a truck, but I'm not gonna worry about when I die. I'm ready to move on when that day comes." - Carroll Shelby (January 11, 1923 - May 10, 2012)

http://karakullake.b...eet-photos.html

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
NICE!!

This thing is going to be KILLER!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
Nice work Doug.
Be sure to post pics when you take Jay Leno for a ride in it at the big show biggrin.gif

bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Worked on installing the carpet the last few days, I'm making my own pattern for 3 resons. 1- I am using a carpet that you can not get in the molded form(salt and pepper in color). 2- I do not like the way molded carpets fit the car and 3- they wear out prematurly because they have been steamed and stretch into a mold.

I star with glueing good quality auto carpet padding to the floor pan, this makes for a nice smooth surface and cuts down on the road noise greatly.

I then take the new uncut carpet and lay it in the floor pan, I start at the hump in the floor the seats bolt to. I cut the carpet on the sides to get it to form around the hump, and then trim it to be sewn back together.

After it is sewn

I then lay it back in the car and mark the front for cutting.This is the drivers side and had to be cut around the dead pedal, I eleminate the stock plastic dead pedal and carpet over the metal for a cleaner look.

I start by glueing it to the floor from the hump forward, after that is done I start from the hump back. When I get to the rear seat mount humps I cut around then, trying to carpet these is a lot of work and also makes the seats hard to install. I remove the seats when I detail the inside of the car so I just black out these humps before hand.

Then repeat the proccess on the passenger side, it is a differant shape so you can not just copy the drivers side.

More to come in the next few days.

Doug
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
as always Doug, very nice. Funny story, I was talking to a guy at the last place I used to work at and he started telling me a story about how he used to work at a place in the 80s that made cars into convertibles! and YUP he worked at the place that made the magical convertible CRXs biggrin.gif
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
A little update on the car, I am in the process of replacing the front and rear bumpers, both fenders, both side skirts and a new CF one piece hood. All these parts are from MrDisibility(Marcus's) car, when the Mugen kit was installed these parts are replaced and the new owner gave them back to Marcus who in turn gave them to me. I truly can not thank him enough.

I have been vary happy that in removing all the old body panels that the body of the car is in great shape with no rust in those troubled areas, I love the California climate.

Sorry for the poor picture quality but I was using my phone because the batteries where dead in my camera.

I have fiber glassed the back of all the new panels and removed the drivers side door skin to repair cracks and fiber glass it also, I have new door skins but they are not painted so I will not install them until later.

RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
All the new(new to me) body panels are finally installed along with a new set of rims, rims are nothing overly special. Just a modern mesh look, 15X6.5 +38 on Yokohama S-Drive 195/50/15.

RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage
love the rims nice work wish i could find me one of those straman here in PR

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX (Straman Convertable) 87 CRX Si 91 CRX
looks great Doug ... I am liking the new wheels.

I haven't had my Straman out for a while ... I need to get with you about making me a new top.

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (SEEKERone @ Aug 28 2011, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks great Doug ... I am liking the new wheels.

I haven't had my Straman out for a while ... I need to get with you about making me a new top.

I just finished making one this week for another member, getting all the parts to make it ended up being a pain in the but. every time I ordered they sent the wrong parts, now that I got the top done and ready to ship(about 30 days late) the trim they sent is also wrong so I will be placing another correction order tomorrow. Everything is now made to order because of the economy so things like tinted plastic windows are 2-3 weeks before I get them, times that by the 2 they sent wrong and you see the delays on this top. But the top is beautiful now that it is done.

Doug
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Glad to see you still working on her!! Keep us posted

Might swing by Indyman this winter on my annual trip to the great white north. We might rebuilt my straman carb so I can get her running when I get back. Probably just a teaser though. I just haven't had time lately....

Again, great work and keep us posted.

d
Keepin' it OEM

NurburgRinger

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRXSi, '85 Ferrari 308GTS, '99 BMW 528i, '06 MadAss scooter
excellent work, and sweet CRX!

Reminded me that I have to get a blaster from HF. I love that place - there's one right next to my office and I outfitted much of my garage there: 10" sliding miter saw, drill press, tool stands, impact wrench, auto-reeling air compressor hose, sanders, super nice rolling tool cart, etcetcetc. I wouldn't buy birth control or a parachute from HF but lots of their stuff is of surprisingly decent quality.

cheers!

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Update

I've done some small things to the car over the last few years.

New Stereo w/sub

big bore throttle body

hidden 3rd brake light

ON

Iphonepictures185.jpg

OFF

Iphonepictures179-1.jpg

At the moment I just removed the broken exhaust manifold bolts and am installing new ones so I can install my Mugen headers.

Of corse I will be cleaning them up first

HPIM2625.jpg

RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build