64 replies to this topic

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (pmpicci @ Oct 14 2004, 10:19 AM)
When I added my vss, I had a similar issue with my civic's speedo being unable to manipulate the pulser.  This forced me to swap over both the speedo AND the odo (regular and trip).  One caveat you forgot to note, at least in my case, is the stop for the speedo needle.  The integra had a stop on the speedo face to keep the needle from going past zero, while the civic had an internal stop.  By placing the integra speedo on the civic face, you no longer have a stop to keep the needle at zero.  It's not a huge deal, but it makes getting the needle initialized at '0' before install important.

actually, i did note that in my post wink.gif

look 7 posts up from the bottom on the first page.

Edited by shadowboy, 14 October 2004 - 10:28 AM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

pmpicci

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '82 Toyota Cressida: Fond Memories, '85 Civic 1300 w/ '88 Integra Mechanicals
Whoops, my fault. I was replying to r4adkshn's post.

Good tech though. I just wish I had found this site about 6-7 months ago.

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si, 98 civic dx hb
    • Image Gallery
so which vss will provide the correct incrementation on our crx guage faces?

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si, 98 civic dx hb
    • Image Gallery
anyone?^^^^^

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
QUOTE (rextec @ Oct 14 2004, 11:45 AM)
so which vss will provide the correct incrementation on our crx guage faces?

While there are a variety of speedo units that will fit, the 1G CRX HF is the only one whose drum will move the needle at the same rate as any other non-VSS 1G CRX.

Note that there are 2 different HF speedo's - the NS & ND. If you have an NS cluster, you want to use the 1G CRX HF NS VSS speedo.

Thanks to ? (I forget) for that informational jewel. I ended up trading clusters with him so we would each have the correct respective cluster to use the VSS.

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 Honda CRX DX with "stuff"
Are there any speedo guts that will move the needle correctly for the '85 Si 140mph speedo?

I've kinda grown attached to mine, but I may need a vss for a "project" in 6 months or so biggrin.gif

Harry
-Twin DCOE 40's still humming along

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (1stGenCRXer @ Oct 16 2004, 03:27 PM)
Are there any speedo guts that will move the needle correctly for the '85 Si 140mph speedo?

I've kinda grown attached to mine, but I may need a vss for a "project" in 6 months or so  biggrin.gif

i am not sure, but i think the 88-89 teg speedo will be similar. there is that stop problem though...

130 on the teg speedo face is about the same angle as 110 on the CRXs, so the 140mph Si speedo may be close. i'd grab a gauge face from a junkyard 88-89 teg and compare to the 140mph Si speedo. if, when lining up the zero-marks, the 130mph marks line up (the 88-89 gauge face actually ends at 135), then you should be able to use the 88-89 speedo guts with the 140mph Si face, and trip odometer.

Edited by shadowboy, 16 October 2004 - 09:54 PM.

Shawn
--------

Dr.Popcorn

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Whats the differance between the JDM instrument cluster and the USDM one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagename=WDVW

I found a JDM one on ebay, but it looks like the US one to me. But, I don't know much about my crx; I got it less than a week ago.

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Dr.Popcorn @ Nov 6 2004, 11:33 PM)
Whats the differance between the JDM instrument cluster and the USDM one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagename=WDVW

I found a JDM one on ebay, but it looks like the US one to me.  But, I don't know much about my crx; I got it less than a week ago.

1: the hvac controls are on the left (on the right for USDM) -- because jdm cars are right hand drive.

2: the dash brightness/rear defrost switches are on the right (left for usdm)

3: the tachmeter redlines at 7000rpm (ZC)

4: the speedometer is in kph, not mph
Shawn
--------

Dobajara

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 Hydra CRX Si, 2007 Civic EX (DD)
I just got an '89 teg speedo and pulser from a junkya....uh, auto dismantling establishment. One thing I noticed is that the teg pulser with the two inductive pickups on either side of the rotating disk (don't know the name but it's the disk that rotates and causes the pickups to generate "pulses.") also has a spacer under each screw attaching it to the speedo frame. If the pulse generating disk on the CRX has a smaller diameter it will not generate the pulses in the pickups unless it was inserted deeper between the two pickups. It seems that a person could remove or grind/file down the spacers to get the pickups closer to the center of the disk and it would work. I'm assuming, of course, that the devices on either side of the rotating disk are inductive proximity switches. I will check this out later.

Just a thought.

Doobie.

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Dobajara @ Nov 13 2004, 08:32 PM)
I just got an '89 teg speedo and pulser from a junkya....uh, auto dismantling establishment.  One thing I noticed is that the teg pulser with the two inductive pickups on either side of the rotating disk (don't know the name but it's the disk that rotates and causes the pickups to generate "pulses.") also has a spacer under each screw attaching it to the speedo frame.  If the pulse generating disk on the CRX has a smaller diameter it will not generate the pulses in the pickups unless it was inserted deeper between the two pickups.  It seems that a person could remove or grind/file down the spacers to get the pickups closer to the center of the disk and it would work.  I'm assuming, of course, that the devices on either side of the rotating disk are inductive proximity switches.  I will check this out later.

Just a thought.

Doobie.

i have already mentioned this, and noted it in one of my earlier posts. that is why i simply used the HF pulser.
Shawn
--------

Dobajara

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Shadowboy,

After reading your last post I looked back and realized what you were saying. Thanks.

What I still don't understand is how to test to see if the pulser works. Do you apply +5volts or +12volts to the common connection and read the other two legs as you spin the speedo?

The reason I'm curious is because I'm getting ready to swap an '88 teg head on to my '86 Si block. I would like to have an acurate speed reading.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Doobie

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Dobajara @ Nov 16 2004, 12:08 AM)
Shadowboy,

After reading your last post I looked back and realized what you were saying.  Thanks. 

What  I still don't understand is how to test to see if the pulser works.  Do you apply +5volts or +12volts to the common connection and read the other two legs as you spin the speedo? 

The reason I'm curious is because I'm getting ready to swap an '88 teg head on to my '86 Si block.  I would like to have an acurate speed reading.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Doobie

i didn't actually test to see if the teg pulser works in the CRX cluster. i was merely assuming it would.

i did not test as my crx is an HF and i already had a working pulser. I just wired the integra "amp" with the CRX cluster so that it would plug right into the teg harness (which i used to wire the CRX for EFI).
Shawn
--------

pmpicci

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '82 Toyota Cressida: Fond Memories, '85 Civic 1300 w/ '88 Integra Mechanicals
Doobie,

I am using an 88 teg speedo. The way to check the vss pulser is simple. It may take a third hand, though. Attach your ohmmeter across the two terminals of the vss. It should initially, read as a short. Spin the speedo with a small screw driver or the like, and the needle should bounce to an open. Oh, you'll need an analog meter. I found the pulser didn't work in my civic unit, but that may not be the case for you. What's it hurt to try, right?

Dobajara

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks again for everyone's help.

I'll try the test. I have also thought about contactring Denso or Nippon to see if they have any suggestions.

Doobie