87 Crx Si Rebuild

• You cannot reply to this topic
124 replies to this topic

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor

I was thinking the same thing, goodjob on cleaning the block. With that yellow it makes it look like a second gen.

Is that a good thing that it looks like a 2nd gen? HAHA You were thinking the same thing about what? haha

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

The Transmission will be done in the next few days, total cost is $390 :) less then the 4-500 he quoted me :)

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Went and got the Transmission today :) Looks great, $420 final cost, gave him a little extra for being a big help.

1stgenhybridCR-X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx
Paint the engine bay black like you said, should turn out good with the color scheme combo you have going

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Paint the engine bay black like you said, should turn out good with the color scheme combo you have going

Flat or Glossy? I like shiny so glossy I guess lol, flat is just to..... FLAT

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Spoke to the machine shop, they apologized for not contacting me sooner, they haven't done anything to the engine so we talked and decided what I wanted.

Clean all of it

Head

1. 3 Angle Valve Job

2. Resurface

3. Extract a broken exhaust bolt

4. Probably a Port and Polish

Block

1. Hone

2. Deck

Crankshaft

1. Micropolish

That's what we have decided so far, anything else guys?

1stgenhybridCR-X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx
Make sure they get that engine running good and stock
For the engine bay I personally love gloss black it gives that mirror look so you dont see all the lines, but also it depends on what you decide to paint your bottom 2nd tone on the lower half of the car I guess, flat black is a little plain just like putting primer on

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I got the Engine back from the Machine Shop.

They Hot Tanked everything

Honed the Cylinders

Decked the Block

Resurfaced the Head (I believe they took off 10 Thousands, will this bump up my compression?)

Micropolished the Crank

Extracted the Bolt

They did NOT do a valve job, they said the Valves were seating very well.

Total: $285

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
Nice. I like where this build is headed, even if the yellow would not be my personal choice. Do you have any photos of the engine after the machine work? Did the shop supply your engine parts, or did you? On your louvers, how did you attach them to the car? It looks like they fit really well.
No power . . . no weight

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

My uploading wasn't working, here they are (I will get better pics this weekend)

IMAG0247_zps7cc39436.jpg

IMAG0238_zpsb9cceb50.jpg

IMAG0239_zpsb5bf4fb9.jpg

IMAG0240_zps364a6bb5.jpg

IMAG0243_zpsdb6b3659.jpg

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Nice. I like where this build is headed, even if the yellow would not be my personal choice. Do you have any photos of the engine after the machine work? Did the shop supply your engine parts, or did you? On your louvers, how did you attach them to the car? It looks like they fit really well.

I fell in love with the Yellow and Black look. You don't see these cars around that often so I really want mine to stand out :)

Engine parts? I am reassembling everything by myself so I'm supplying all the parts myself, sorry if I misunderstood that.

The Louvers have not been attached yet, I'm waiting until after my REAL paint job to do that, my dad and I have a few ideas, 2 Brackets on the lower part and mount the upper part with the plug on the top tail light, not sure yet though.

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I ordered the Connecting Rod Bearings and Main Bearings, I should get them in the next couple days, then I will be reassembling the Block, after that I will put the Head on and get it on the engine stand.

After that prep the engine bay for paint.

I have a question, if I am painting it the 2-Tone, how would I do that? Should I paint the whole car yellow and then paint over the bottom half to do the black? Or should I block off the bottom half, paint the top yellow, let it cure, and then cover the Yellow and do the black?

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Got my plastigauge, will get more pics while I do the mains and rod bearings, should have the pistons in soon and the girdle on.

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Work station

IMAG0317_zpscc7c7a51.jpg

Out with the old and in with the new

IMAG0304_zps0d7fff24.jpg

Piston Rings put on

IMAG0324_zpsaec3f3be.jpg

Main Bearings Installed

IMAG0326_zps2625e4fa.jpg

Plastigauge (All Bearings within Specs)

20130417_170729_zpseba0acfd.jpg

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Started dropping in the Pistons, half way through my Piston Ring Compressor broke! Had to run down and get another!

20130417_175327_zps0e572b92.jpg

It was dark by the time I got them all in, sorry about the bad lighting

20130417_185753_zps48497675.jpg

Finally! Started doing the Rod Bearings, the new Bearings were less then an 1/8 of an inch thinner then the stock ones, but clearances measured within Specs

20130418_170221_zps880de5a3.jpg

Setting up the Crankshaft for Plastigauging the Rod Bearings

20130418_171310_2_zps6bf620a8.jpg