Honda Beat

• You cannot reply to this topic
38 replies to this topic

DougY

Also, take a look at the Suzuki Capucino (a close Beat cousin).

1g Supremacy

Capucinos are front engine rear-wheel drive.

But they're pretty hot too.

pwr_crx

QUOTE (chedda_j @ Jul 15 2005, 04:03 PM)
Records show that 15 were only sold the first three years then after that they sold about 20 - 30 varying each year. Not a whole lot. I was exagerating the first time..but not very much. Ive seen one. In canada..it was in a calgary shopping mall. I dont know how many they sold in canada..those are the stats from america.

Well i guess u know more then acura does.

Taken from Acura's website

"As the first-ever supercar from Japan, the NSX was created as a hand-built, exotic, mid-engine sports car that would establish entirely new levels of performance, refinement and drivability. The NSX went on sale in the summer of 1990 and the following year posted record U.S. sales of 1,940 vehicles. Through June of 2005, NSX cumulative sales totaled 8,854 in the U.S. and more than 18,000 worldwide."

The article it was taken from.
Bryan....
user posted image

87 Si Dohc - T

1g Supremacy

NSXs aren't all that rare at all. I see at least 3 every time I go down to Palm Springs.

petersterncan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Wagovan. 5 spd manual, no air, no power steering, stock except for performance exhaust
I remember reading about a comparison between a Honda Beat and suzuki cappuccino a few years ago and while those cars make sense in Japan (their small size and engines resulted in them being in the 'Kei' car class, which has tax advantages in Japan), just about everywhere else these models would get killed by competitors like the Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Without the tax advantages, the Honda Beat goes for almost as much as a Miata. The Miata is bigger, faster, has 4 cylinders rather than 3 and is more practical.

However, people who own these cars (the Beat or the Cappuccino) absolutely love them. I know someone who owns a Cappuccino. He's in Australia and he bought it used and imported it. Not a big deal for people in Australia since they drive on the left just like in Japan.

Peter

QUOTE (chrisandsarahb @ Jul 14 2005, 03:10 AM)
I just discovered the Honda Beat while surfing around tonight.  Apparently, they have been making them for a while, but we didn't get any here in the US.  Any ideas to why?  The thing looks kinda cool.  Anyone else like/hate it?

petersterncan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Wagovan. 5 spd manual, no air, no power steering, stock except for performance exhaust
What's held up the Smart in the US was exchange rates... basically the US$ is very low in relation to the Euro... which makes it more expensive to import the Smart. But apparently an independent company is importing a gasoline version of the Smart into the US.

In Canada, we get the 40HP diesel model. I test drove it. When you sit in it, it actually feels like you're sitting in a minivan. You don't realize that you're in a small car until you look back and the rear window is RIGHT THERE. Also, this car has *just enough* power for day to day driving... nothing more. It feels noticeably slower than my stock 76HP Civic Wagovan. Oh and all models have a SIX speed automated manual transmission. Same as a manual, except that the clutch engagement is electronically controlled. And if you just stand on the accellerator, it won't shift until the red line. And when you come to a stop, it automatically goes back to 1st.
On one of the models, you can get F1 style paddle shifters. You can get a fully automatic model as an option... but I think that would be pointless.

Peter

"A while back I was doing some work with the guy that was doing the crash testing and federalization of the Smart for the U.S. market. The Smart actually "crashed" fairly well. I'll have to talk to him to see why the Smart is still in a holding pattern for U.S. release. "

G1tegZc

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 G1 teg
I see NSX's multible times daily.....San Diego Peeps have doe......

I also see ferrari's, Labo's, Tons of porshes, Lotus's (especially those elise's) M5's....Dude you name it I have seen it...........
I love Old School!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T-Bars UNITE

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
There`s this really run down shitty looking garage/warehouse type place in a rundown neighborhood near where I live. No windows, peeling paint on cement walls, old garage type sign in the front but it looks closed, etc.
The other day I was driving by & door on the front was open & the place is FULL of Ferraris, older & newer models.

BTW, Checked honda.ca, we don`t seem to be getting the Beat here.

katulu

• On Fire
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2008 Chevy Cobalt/2001 Chrysler Town and Country
    • Image Gallery
I would love a beat, I've got a new-found love for convertibles, and, I'm sure it could be built-up, maybe fit a d16 or something in it, trans may be the same. and mid-engine, rear wheel drive sounds sweet
play me loud, just don't blow me